Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Security of ASA file?

Security of ASA file?

MDW

I'd like to start using global.asa to store things like connection strings to
databases and the like. As I understand it, you have to save the file in the
root of your app.

My concern is that storing the location of databases within the ASA file
might be a security issue. Is there any way for a user to get at the
information contained in that file and, by extension, get at the databases
themselves?

--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MDW wrote:
> I'd like to start using global.asa to store things like connection
> strings to databases and the like. As I understand it, you have to
> save the file in the root of your app.
>
> My concern is that storing the location of databases within the ASA
> file might be a security issue. Is there any way for a user to get at
> the information contained in that file and, by extension, get at the
> databases themselves?

No. Only if they gain access to the file system. IIS will not serve the
contents of this file.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET