Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Upload huge file size: "The page cannot be displayed" browser error

Upload huge file size: "The page cannot be displayed" browser error

Joe

I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.asp is
the form,
and UploadAction.asp is the form processing.

//UploadForm.asp
<FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.asp" METHOD="POST"
enctype=multipart/form-data>
<input type="file" name="fileName">
//etc ...
</FORM>

After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small file
size, it is fine.
But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even go to
UploadAction.asp.
After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on the
web browser.
It cannot even go to UploadAction.asp. But both UploadForm.asp and
UnploadAction.asp are
in the same machine.

Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
without problem.

I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
please advise. thanks!!

Jason Brown [MSFT]

One question, is there a proxy server between the client and server in the
failing scenario?

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.asp is
> the form,
> and UploadAction.asp is the form processing.
>
> //UploadForm.asp
> <FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.asp" METHOD="POST"
> enctype=multipart/form-data>
> <input type="file" name="fileName">
> //etc ...
> </FORM>
>
> After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small file
> size, it is fine.
> But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even go to
> UploadAction.asp.
> After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on the
> web browser.
> It cannot even go to UploadAction.asp. But both UploadForm.asp and
> UnploadAction.asp are
> in the same machine.
>
> Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
> without problem.
>
> I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
> please advise. thanks!!

Lau Lei Cheong

Try set a higher timeout value in machine.config.

The error occurs because your browser is still sending the file out. Of
course the browser cannot receive response from server at the same time and
therefore determines the web server is not responding. Common problem on
uploading files.

Also note that if you try to upload file with filesize larger than the
maximum request length, the same error may result or you'll get
"System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded."

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> 秎ン news:%(E-Mail Removed)
い级糶...
> I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.asp is
> the form,
> and UploadAction.asp is the form processing.
>
> //UploadForm.asp
> <FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.asp" METHOD="POST"
> enctype=multipart/form-data>
> <input type="file" name="fileName">
> //etc ...
> </FORM>
>
> After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small file
> size, it is fine.
> But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even go to
> UploadAction.asp.
> After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on the
> web browser.
> It cannot even go to UploadAction.asp. But both UploadForm.asp and
> UnploadAction.asp are
> in the same machine.
>
> Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
> without problem.
>
> I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
> please advise. thanks!!

Joe

> The error occurs because your browser is still sending the file out. Of
> course the browser cannot receive response from server at the same time

and
> therefore determines the web server is not responding. Common problem on
> uploading files.

Thanks Lau Lei Cheong!! To solve the problem, I try to understand the
underlying principles first. The error "The page cannot be displayed" is the
error from web browser because web browser failed to connect to the server
for that requested page. correct? When UploadForm.asp post data to
UploadAction.asp, the web browser append the huge file in HTTP header first,
and at the same time, the web browser try to connect to UploadAction.jsp, is
that what you mean?

please advise more. thanks!!

"Lau Lei Cheong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try set a higher timeout value in machine.config.
>
> The error occurs because your browser is still sending the file out. Of
> course the browser cannot receive response from server at the same time

and
> therefore determines the web server is not responding. Common problem on
> uploading files.
>
> Also note that if you try to upload file with filesize larger than the
> maximum request length, the same error may result or you'll get
> "System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded."
>
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> 秎ン

news:%(E-Mail Removed)
> い级糶...
> > I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.asp

is
> > the form,
> > and UploadAction.asp is the form processing.
> >
> > //UploadForm.asp
> > <FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.asp" METHOD="POST"
> > enctype=multipart/form-data>
> > <input type="file" name="fileName">
> > //etc ...
> > </FORM>
> >
> > After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small

file
> > size, it is fine.
> > But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even go

> > UploadAction.asp.
> > After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on

the
> > web browser.
> > It cannot even go to UploadAction.asp. But both UploadForm.asp and
> > UnploadAction.asp are
> > in the same machine.
> >
> > Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
> > without problem.
> >
> > I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
> > please advise. thanks!!

Joe

one more, "The page cannot be displayed" means client-side web browser time
out, or web server time out? This is very important.

please advise. thanks!!

"Lau Lei Cheong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try set a higher timeout value in machine.config.
>
> The error occurs because your browser is still sending the file out. Of
> course the browser cannot receive response from server at the same time

and
> therefore determines the web server is not responding. Common problem on
> uploading files.
>
> Also note that if you try to upload file with filesize larger than the
> maximum request length, the same error may result or you'll get
> "System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded."
>
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> 秎ン

news:%(E-Mail Removed)
> い级糶...
> > I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.asp

is
> > the form,
> > and UploadAction.asp is the form processing.
> >
> > //UploadForm.asp
> > <FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.asp" METHOD="POST"
> > enctype=multipart/form-data>
> > <input type="file" name="fileName">
> > //etc ...
> > </FORM>
> >
> > After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small

file
> > size, it is fine.
> > But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even go

> > UploadAction.asp.
> > After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on

the
> > web browser.
> > It cannot even go to UploadAction.asp. But both UploadForm.asp and
> > UnploadAction.asp are
> > in the same machine.
> >
> > Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
> > without problem.
> >
> > I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
> > please advise. thanks!!

Brandon Potter

"This page cannot be displayed" = client timeout.

Brandon

news:ON%(E-Mail Removed)...
> one more, "The page cannot be displayed" means client-side web browser

time
> out, or web server time out? This is very important.
>
> please advise. thanks!!
>
> "Lau Lei Cheong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try set a higher timeout value in machine.config.
> >
> > The error occurs because your browser is still sending the file out. Of
> > course the browser cannot receive response from server at the same time

> and
> > therefore determines the web server is not responding. Common problem on
> > uploading files.
> >
> > Also note that if you try to upload file with filesize larger than the
> > maximum request length, the same error may result or you'll get
> > "System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded."
> >
> > "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> 秎ン

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)
> > い级糶...
> > > I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.asp

> is
> > > the form,
> > > and UploadAction.asp is the form processing.
> > >
> > > //UploadForm.asp
> > > <FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.asp" METHOD="POST"
> > > enctype=multipart/form-data>
> > > <input type="file" name="fileName">
> > > //etc ...
> > > </FORM>
> > >
> > > After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small

> file
> > > size, it is fine.
> > > But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even

go
> > > UploadAction.asp.
> > > After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on

> the
> > > web browser.
> > > It cannot even go to UploadAction.asp. But both UploadForm.asp and
> > > UnploadAction.asp are
> > > in the same machine.
> > >
> > > Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
> > > without problem.
> > >
> > > I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
> > > please advise. thanks!!

Lau Lei Cheong

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> 秎ン news:%(E-Mail Removed)
い级糶...
> > The error occurs because your browser is still sending the file out. Of
> > course the browser cannot receive response from server at the same time

> and
> > therefore determines the web server is not responding. Common problem on
> > uploading files.

> Thanks Lau Lei Cheong!! To solve the problem, I try to understand the
> underlying principles first. The error "The page cannot be displayed" is

the
> error from web browser because web browser failed to connect to the server
> for that requested page. correct?

Yes. Exactly.

>When UploadForm.asp post data to
> UploadAction.asp, the web browser append the huge file in HTTP header

first,
> and at the same time, the web browser try to connect to UploadAction.jsp,

is
> that what you mean?

Not exactly.

When uploading files with <form encType="multipart/form-data">, the files
are embedded in the request stream. And your page can'r return anything
unless 1) having the stream fully receieved or 2) you process the stream
yourself or 3) you use any of the third party conponent to process it.

Lau Lei Cheong

In fact you can Response.Write() something to push the response header of
current page to the client first and put it in wait state. However, using
this trick you'll no longer be able to use Response.Redirect() or
Server.Transfer() to move to another page. You'll have to insert client-side
script like "window.location='abc.asp';" instead.

"Brandon Potter" <msnews@brandonpotter_nospam.com> 秎ン
news:Oye$(E-Mail Removed) い级糶...