Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Displaying a SWF at it's original size without setting the dimensions

Displaying a SWF at it's original size without setting the dimensions

Laphan

Hi All

This sounds such a simple request, but doesn't seem to work.

Basically I'm allowing the user to upload their own SWF files to their web
site via a web browser (ASPupload).

I don't want to limit the dimensions that they have to use in their SWF
files so I want to simply extract and display their chosen SWF file without
specifying the width and height of the file. For some reason IE can't
handle this and displays a very squashed representation of the SWF, eg my
code is currently:

<TABLE CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0>
<TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="CENTER">

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
CODEBASE="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#3,0,0,0">
<PARAM NAME="SRC" VALUE="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>">
<PARAM NAME="LOOP" VALUE="0">
<EMBED SRC="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/"
TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" LOOP=0>
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>

</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

If I simply add the exact WIDTH and HEIGHT dims of the SWF file to the
OBJECT tag then it works fine.

Unfortunately ASPupload can only extract the height and width dims of JPGs
and GIFs so I can't even extract and dynamically add the dims at the same
time either.

Please note that I have already tried the PARAM="SCALE" VALUE="NOSCALE" and
this seems to create a cropped version.

Does anybody know of a way round this?

Many thanks.

Rgds

Laphan

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

The only way I could see this relating to ASP at all (ASP doesn't render an
ActiveX control, HTML does) is to ask the user to also enter dimensions for
width and height when they upload the file, then you could store that also.
(Even if you could extract the width and height from the SWF file, that
might not be the width/height they wish to display it.)

There is no magic bullet here from ASP that will solve your problem...
mainly because it isn't an ASP problem.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> This sounds such a simple request, but doesn't seem to work.
>
> Basically I'm allowing the user to upload their own SWF files to their web
> site via a web browser (ASPupload).
>
> I don't want to limit the dimensions that they have to use in their SWF
> files so I want to simply extract and display their chosen SWF file

without
> specifying the width and height of the file. For some reason IE can't
> handle this and displays a very squashed representation of the SWF, eg my
> code is currently:
>
> <TABLE CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0>
> <TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="CENTER">
>
> <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

CODEBASE="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.ca
b#3,0,0,0">
> <PARAM NAME="SRC" VALUE="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>">
> <PARAM NAME="LOOP" VALUE="0">
> <EMBED SRC="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>"
> PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/"
> TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" LOOP=0>
> </EMBED>
> </OBJECT>
>
> </TD></TR>
> </TABLE>
>
> If I simply add the exact WIDTH and HEIGHT dims of the SWF file to the
> OBJECT tag then it works fine.
>
> Unfortunately ASPupload can only extract the height and width dims of JPGs
> and GIFs so I can't even extract and dynamically add the dims at the same
> time either.
>
> Please note that I have already tried the PARAM="SCALE" VALUE="NOSCALE"

and
> this seems to create a cropped version.
>
> Does anybody know of a way round this?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Rgds
>
> Laphan

Astra

Understood Aaron

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

All the best.

Rgds Robbie

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
The only way I could see this relating to ASP at all (ASP doesn't render an
ActiveX control, HTML does) is to ask the user to also enter dimensions for
width and height when they upload the file, then you could store that also.
(Even if you could extract the width and height from the SWF file, that
might not be the width/height they wish to display it.)

There is no magic bullet here from ASP that will solve your problem...
mainly because it isn't an ASP problem.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> This sounds such a simple request, but doesn't seem to work.
>
> Basically I'm allowing the user to upload their own SWF files to their web
> site via a web browser (ASPupload).
>
> I don't want to limit the dimensions that they have to use in their SWF
> files so I want to simply extract and display their chosen SWF file

without
> specifying the width and height of the file. For some reason IE can't
> handle this and displays a very squashed representation of the SWF, eg my
> code is currently:
>
> <TABLE CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0>
> <TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="CENTER">
>
> <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

CODEBASE="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.ca
b#3,0,0,0">
> <PARAM NAME="SRC" VALUE="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>">
> <PARAM NAME="LOOP" VALUE="0">
> <EMBED SRC="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>"
> PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/"
> TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" LOOP=0>
> </EMBED>
> </OBJECT>
>
> </TD></TR>
> </TABLE>
>
> If I simply add the exact WIDTH and HEIGHT dims of the SWF file to the
> OBJECT tag then it works fine.
>
> Unfortunately ASPupload can only extract the height and width dims of JPGs
> and GIFs so I can't even extract and dynamically add the dims at the same
> time either.
>
> Please note that I have already tried the PARAM="SCALE" VALUE="NOSCALE"

and
> this seems to create a cropped version.
>
> Does anybody know of a way round this?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Rgds
>
> Laphan

Mark Schupp

You might want to check the flash forums at forums.macromedia.com to see if
anyone knows how to extract the size from a flash piece.

--
--Mark Schupp
Head of Development

news:(E-Mail Removed)...