Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to using connection pool technlogy in ASP

How to using connection pool technlogy in ASP

Utada P.W. SIU

Thanks~~

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

"Utada P.W. SIU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks~~

The magical thing isn't it? If you can pool, your app will rock
ASP itself, does not use pooling. Only COM+ components written using C++ or
a .NET language ca be pooled. Note that pooling should not be a -target- but
a solution, if you really need it for specifici reasons. eg:
1) you need to cache specific data.
2) you have a specific driver that does -not- support database resource
pooling (ado does support!).
3) etc

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...calobjpool.asp

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Utada P.W. SIU wrote:
> Thanks~~

You should be asking how NOT to use connection pooling. In ASP, connection
pooling is used automatically, without the developer having to do a thing.

Now, mind you, there are things a developer can do to disable connection
pooling, such as:

- failure to use an explicit connection object to open recordsets or execute
commands. This syntax:

set cn=createobject("adodb.connection")
cn.open <some connection string>
set rs=createobject("adodb.recordset")
rs.Source=<some query string>
rs.ActiveConnection = cn
rs.Open

will cause a second connection, using the connection string from cn, to be
opened and used to open rs. To prevent that, you must use the Set keyword:

Set rs.ActiveConnection = cn
See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271128

- use of the OLE DB Services attribute in your connection string to disable
pooling

- failure to close and destroy connections when you are finished with them

Here is some more information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...l/pooling2.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q176056

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Dave Anderson

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> rs.ActiveConnection = cn
>
> ...will cause a second connection, using the connection
> string from cn, to be opened and used to open rs. To
> prevent that, you must use the Set keyword:
>
> Set rs.ActiveConnection = cn

Or use JScript, as the above is the only possible syntax for assigning the
ActiveConnection property in JScript.

--
Dave Anderson