Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Web server not running ASP.NET v1.1

Web server not running ASP.NET v1.1

Andrew Chalk

I have just moved a project to my laptop and get the message "Visual Studio
..NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET v1.1.
You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services"

Presumably there is a d/l on MSDN to rectify this, but I can't find it. Does
anyone know the URL?

Many thanks.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

or

let us know if these don't do the trick

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.
"Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just moved a project to my laptop and get the message "Visual Studio
>.NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET
>v1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services"
>
> Presumably there is a d/l on MSDN to rectify this, but I can't find it.
> Does anyone know the URL?
>
> Many thanks.

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

Andrew,

see if

or
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?sc...351&sid=global

help you.

Juan T. Llibre
===========
"Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just moved a project to my laptop and get the message "Visual Studio
>.NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET
>v1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services"
>
> Presumably there is a d/l on MSDN to rectify this, but I can't find it.
> Does anyone know the URL?
>
> Many thanks.

Andrew Chalk

Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?

Thanks,

Andrew
"Jason Brown [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> or
>

> let us know if these don't do the trick
>
> --
> Jason Brown
> Microsoft GTSC, IIS

> rights.
> "Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have just moved a project to my laptop and get the message "Visual
>>Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running
>>ASP.NET v1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or
>>services"
>>
>> Presumably there is a d/l on MSDN to rectify this, but I can't find it.
>> Does anyone know the URL?
>>
>> Many thanks.

Andrew Chalk

Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?

Thanks,

Andrew
"Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andrew,
>
> see if
>
> or
> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?sc...351&sid=global
>
> help you.
>

> Juan T. Llibre
> ===========
> "Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have just moved a project to my laptop and get the message "Visual
>>Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running
>>ASP.NET v1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or
>>services"
>>
>> Presumably there is a d/l on MSDN to rectify this, but I can't find it.
>> Does anyone know the URL?
>>
>> Many thanks.

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

re:
> Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
> Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?

Hi, Andrew.

First, let's find out what you are actually running.

Please copy the following into a file named "version.aspx",
and place the file in your wwwroot directory.

version.aspx:
-------------

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<head>
</head>
<%
dim var as string
var=Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_SOFTWARE")
Response.Write("SERVER_SOFTWARE = " & var)
Response.Write("<P>")
Response.Write(System.Environment.Version.ToString ())
%>

--------

If you placed it in your wwwroot directory,
please run the file by clicking on this link :

http://localhost/version.aspx

Post here the version information which the page writes.

That will tell us what version of ASP.NET you're running.

If you're running 1.0,
there's no "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.

If you're running 1.1,
there is a "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.

Juan T. Llibre
===========
"Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
> Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew
> "Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Andrew,
>>
>> see if
>>
>> or
>> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?sc...351&sid=global
>>
>> help you.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre
>> ===========
>> "Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have just moved a project to my laptop and get the message "Visual
>>>Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running
>>>ASP.NET v1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or
>>>services"
>>>
>>> Presumably there is a d/l on MSDN to rectify this, but I can't find it.
>>> Does anyone know the URL?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.

SA

Hmm, having a Web Service Extensions node (not tab) in the IIS Manager is
dependent on the OS, not the Framework version. In Win 2003, you have that
because it's IIS 6. In Win XP or Win 2000, its 5.1 or 5.0 respectively, and
they don't have a way to manage ISAPI filters like that.

Here's what you should try:

Go to the Framework folder in the Windows\Microsoft .NET folder.
In the 1.1 version folder, there is a file aspnet_regiis.exe. Just execute
that file. It will re-register ASP.NET 1.1 with IIS.

That might solve the problem.

--

---

Sven.

"Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
> > Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
> > Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?

> Hi, Andrew.
>
> First, let's find out what you are actually running.
>
> Please copy the following into a file named "version.aspx",
> and place the file in your wwwroot directory.
>
> version.aspx:
> -------------
>
> <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
> <head>
> </head>
> <%
> dim var as string
> var=Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_SOFTWARE")
> Response.Write("SERVER_SOFTWARE = " & var)
> Response.Write("<P>")
> Response.Write(System.Environment.Version.ToString ())
> %>
>
> --------
>
> If you placed it in your wwwroot directory,
> please run the file by clicking on this link :
>
> http://localhost/version.aspx
>
> Post here the version information which the page writes.
>
> That will tell us what version of ASP.NET you're running.
>
> If you're running 1.0,
> there's no "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.
>
> If you're running 1.1,
> there is a "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.
>

> Juan T. Llibre
> ===========
> "Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
> > Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew
> > "Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Andrew,
> >>
> >> see if
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;817267
> >>
> >> or

http://www.support.microsoft.com/?sc...351&sid=global

> >> help you.
> >>

> >> Juan T. Llibre
> >> ===========
> >> "Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

it.

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

re:
> Hmm, having a Web Service Extensions node (not tab) in the
> IIS Manager is dependent on the OS, not the Framework version.

Aargh! You're right. I should go get some sleep.

re:
> In the 1.1 version folder, there is a file aspnet_regiis.exe.
> Just execute that file. It will re-register ASP.NET 1.1 with IIS

You need the -i parameter if you're running aspnet_regiis.

In a cmd, window, run :
"%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v.1.1.4322\aspne t_regiis.exe" -i

Just running aspnet_regiis will produce the usage instructions.

Juan T. Llibre
===========
"SA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm, having a Web Service Extensions node (not tab) in the IIS Manager is
> dependent on the OS, not the Framework version. In Win 2003, you have that
> because it's IIS 6. In Win XP or Win 2000, its 5.1 or 5.0 respectively,
> and
> they don't have a way to manage ISAPI filters like that.
>
> Here's what you should try:
>
> Go to the Framework folder in the Windows\Microsoft .NET folder.
> In the 1.1 version folder, there is a file aspnet_regiis.exe. Just execute
> that file. It will re-register ASP.NET 1.1 with IIS.
>
> That might solve the problem.
>
> --
>
> ---
>
> Sven.
>
> "Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> re:
>> > Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
>> > Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?

>> Hi, Andrew.
>>
>> First, let's find out what you are actually running.
>>
>> Please copy the following into a file named "version.aspx",
>> and place the file in your wwwroot directory.
>>
>> version.aspx:
>> -------------
>>
>> <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
>> <head>
>> </head>
>> <%
>> dim var as string
>> var=Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_SOFTWARE")
>> Response.Write("SERVER_SOFTWARE = " & var)
>> Response.Write("<P>")
>> Response.Write(System.Environment.Version.ToString ())
>> %>
>>
>> --------
>>
>> If you placed it in your wwwroot directory,
>> please run the file by clicking on this link :
>>
>> http://localhost/version.aspx
>>
>> Post here the version information which the page writes.
>>
>> That will tell us what version of ASP.NET you're running.
>>
>> If you're running 1.0,
>> there's no "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.
>>
>> If you're running 1.1,
>> there is a "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre
>> ===========
>> "Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
>> > Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Andrew
>> > "Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?sc...351&sid=global

> it.

Andrew Chalk

Lordy be! I think that worked. Thanks to you, and Juan and Jason. Where do
you discover all this stuff?

- Andrew
"SA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm, having a Web Service Extensions node (not tab) in the IIS Manager is
> dependent on the OS, not the Framework version. In Win 2003, you have that
> because it's IIS 6. In Win XP or Win 2000, its 5.1 or 5.0 respectively,
> and
> they don't have a way to manage ISAPI filters like that.
>
> Here's what you should try:
>
> Go to the Framework folder in the Windows\Microsoft .NET folder.
> In the 1.1 version folder, there is a file aspnet_regiis.exe. Just execute
> that file. It will re-register ASP.NET 1.1 with IIS.
>
> That might solve the problem.
>
> --
>
> ---
>
> Sven.
>
> "Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> re:
>> > Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
>> > Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?

>> Hi, Andrew.
>>
>> First, let's find out what you are actually running.
>>
>> Please copy the following into a file named "version.aspx",
>> and place the file in your wwwroot directory.
>>
>> version.aspx:
>> -------------
>>
>> <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
>> <head>
>> </head>
>> <%
>> dim var as string
>> var=Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_SOFTWARE")
>> Response.Write("SERVER_SOFTWARE = " & var)
>> Response.Write("<P>")
>> Response.Write(System.Environment.Version.ToString ())
>> %>
>>
>> --------
>>
>> If you placed it in your wwwroot directory,
>> please run the file by clicking on this link :
>>
>> http://localhost/version.aspx
>>
>> Post here the version information which the page writes.
>>
>> That will tell us what version of ASP.NET you're running.
>>
>> If you're running 1.0,
>> there's no "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.
>>
>> If you're running 1.1,
>> there is a "Web Extensions" folder in the IIS Manager.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre
>> ===========
>> "Andrew Chalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks. Using 817267 I looked at IIS and there is no "Web Service
>> > Extensions" tab. What do I need to install?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Andrew
>> > "Juan T. Llibre [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.support.microsoft.com/?sc...351&sid=global

> it.

SA

Andrew:

When you hit your head hard enough often enough, it'll become clear to you
too...

--

---

Sven.