Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > IIS, ASP.Net Development and Norton Internet Security 2005

IIS, ASP.Net Development and Norton Internet Security 2005

TC

Hello All,

I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security 2005
and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.

I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the individual
was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
specifics of what they did.

Any ideas?

Thanks & Regards,

Todd

Jeff Cochran

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security 2005
>and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
>Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
>configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
>tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
>
>I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the individual
>was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
>specifics of what they did.
>
>Any ideas?

Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.

Jeff

TC

Hey Chief,

Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.

Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably be
interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think

TC

"Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
>>2005
>>and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
>>Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
>>configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
>>tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
>>
>>I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
>>individual
>>was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
>>specifics of what they did.
>>
>>Any ideas?

> Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
> it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
>
> Jeff

Jeff Cochran

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:09:56 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hey Chief,

I'm not the head of a tribe...

>Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
>product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.

IIS still works fine. It's not related to the dotnet framework.
There are no IIS security settings you can change to fix this. And no
amount of ASP.NET security changes will get you working. It's not an
issue related to any of the groups you posted to.

It *is* related to Norton's. Uninstall it. If everything works fine,
it's Norton's that is the problem. And Norton has support.

>Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably be
>interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think

Sure. But they wouldn't find the answer here either.

Oh, and you missed the FrontPage Server Extensions groups. Which are
closer to being on topic than the others.

Have you tried Googling the archives?

Jeff

>"Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
>>>2005
>>>and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
>>>Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
>>>configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
>>>tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
>>>
>>>I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
>>>individual
>>>was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
>>>specifics of what they did.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?

>> Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
>> it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
>>
>> Jeff

TC

Googling was the first thing that I did and I noticed the prior posting.
Since they did not detail the steps undertaken w/ the Norton application, I
posted this.

You're right in that it is a Norton issue but since Norton's archives had 0
hits, literally, it didn't help. I emailed their support group which will
take "4-5 business days" for a response. However, it's not purely a Norton
issue because the "Norton" side of things works fine. It's a compatability
issue.

I have already uninstalled the product as I have work to do. Nonetheless,
it would be great to know the answer to this since others have wrestled with
the issue as well if they are doing similar development work.

For what it's worth "they" might actually find the answer "here" as the best
info I have found so far was a previous posting at:

microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security

and, of course, if I resolve the issue then the answer will most assuredly
be "here".

Regards,

TC

"Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:09:56 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Hey Chief,

> I'm not the head of a tribe...
>
>>Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
>>product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.

> IIS still works fine. It's not related to the dotnet framework.
> There are no IIS security settings you can change to fix this. And no
> amount of ASP.NET security changes will get you working. It's not an
> issue related to any of the groups you posted to.
>
> It *is* related to Norton's. Uninstall it. If everything works fine,
> it's Norton's that is the problem. And Norton has support.
>
>>Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably
>>be
>>interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think

> Sure. But they wouldn't find the answer here either.
>
> Oh, and you missed the FrontPage Server Extensions groups. Which are
> closer to being on topic than the others.
>
> Have you tried Googling the archives?
>
> Jeff
>
>>"Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
>>> it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
>>>
>>> Jeff

Bob Lehmann

What do *.aspnet.* and *.asp.* have to do with each other - besides the
"asp"?

Bob Lehmann

"TC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Chief,
>
> Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
> product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.
>
> Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably

be
> interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think
>
> TC
>

> "Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
> >>2005
> >>and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application

in
> >>Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
> >>configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
> >>tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
> >>
> >>I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
> >>individual
> >>was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
> >>specifics of what they did.
> >>
> >>Any ideas?

> > Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
> > it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
> >
> > Jeff

TC

Hey Bob,

I'm not sure what you're looking for in an answer but I'm sure that both
interact with IIS from a developer's point of view or from a networking
point of view.

How does your question relate to my original question?

"Bob Lehmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do *.aspnet.* and *.asp.* have to do with each other - besides the
> "asp"?
>
> Bob Lehmann
>

> "TC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey Chief,
>>
>> Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
>> product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.
>>
>> Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably

> be
>> interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think
>>
>> TC
>>

>> "Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> in

>> > Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
>> > it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.
>> >
>> > Jeff

Sven Pernils

My guess is that Norton script blocking functions are blocking VS.Net from
doing it's job.
Uncheck script blocking in Norton Antivirus w. comes with Internet security
and the problem should be solved.

Sven

"TC" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
> 2005 and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based
> application in Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried
> fiddling with the configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was
> not successful. I tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would
> not launch.
>
> I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
> individual was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not
> list the specifics of what they did.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Todd

JerryK

Norton Internet security prevents a number of apps we have from working.
Disable it and see what happens.

"TC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security
> 2005 and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based
> application in Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried
> fiddling with the configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was
> not successful. I tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would
> not launch.
>
> I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the
> individual was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not
> list the specifics of what they did.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Todd

TC

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, the only thing that has worked so far is an uninstallation.

I tried turning off script-blocking but that didn't work.

I then systematically went through and disabled options and features one by
one and that didn't work.

Oh well.

Time to wait for SP1

If anyone else has ideas or experience to impart, by all means, please do.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...