Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Building a link out of a field value

Building a link out of a field value

Drew

I would like to explore some different ways to build a link out of the
following string from a db,

Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp: Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:

Which is just a string that has the link name, then the link target. So I
would need to programmatically build a link from this field. I have found
some other ways around this, but they involve Regular Expressions in
vbscript and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing
this. My database table looks like this,

Username - the username of the user
Userlinks - the links as above, Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp:
Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:

I am open to any sort of delimeter instead of the : and ;.

This will be used for an Intranet front page and would allow the users to
have "quick links" on the front page.

Thanks,
Drew Laing

Jeff Dillon

I would recommend not putting several types of information in one field.
Add a Fiscal field and a Records field..then you don't need to parse at all.

If you insist however, look at Instr

Jeff
"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to explore some different ways to build a link out of the
> following string from a db,
>
> Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp: Records;

swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:

> Which is just a string that has the link name, then the link target. So I
> would need to programmatically build a link from this field. I have found
> some other ways around this, but they involve Regular Expressions in
> vbscript and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing
> this. My database table looks like this,
>
> Username - the username of the user
> Userlinks - the links as above, Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp:
> Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
>
> I am open to any sort of delimeter instead of the : and ;.
>
> This will be used for an Intranet front page and would allow the users to
> have "quick links" on the front page.
>
> Thanks,
> Drew Laing

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

That is an interesting method of storing data you have there... If this is
how your data is, and assuming you cannot do anything about that, you can
do:

Dim sLinks, aLinks, aLink, sLinkTitle, sHref
Dim i

sLinks = yourRecordset.Fields.Item("Userlinks").Value
aLinks = Split(sLinks, ":")
For i = 0 To UBound(aLinks)
aLink = Split(aLinks(i), ";")
If UBound(aLink) = 1 Then
sLinkTitle = Trim(aLink(0))
sHref = Trim(aLink(1))
End If
Next

Ray at work

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to explore some different ways to build a link out of the
>following string from a db,
>
> Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp: Records;
> swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
>
> Which is just a string that has the link name, then the link target. So I
> would need to programmatically build a link from this field. I have found
> some other ways around this, but they involve Regular Expressions in
> vbscript and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing
> this. My database table looks like this,
>
> Username - the username of the user
> Userlinks - the links as above, Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp:
> Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
>
> I am open to any sort of delimeter instead of the : and ;.
>
> This will be used for an Intranet front page and would allow the users to
> have "quick links" on the front page.
>
> Thanks,
> Drew Laing

Drew

Well, I want to lump it all in one field, like this,

Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp: Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
Blah; swvtc/blah/blah.asp: Double Blah; swvtc/blahblah/blah.asp

So that I don't have to have seperate fields for all of this... This is an
intranet, so swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp is the actual link. I just need
to make links like so,

In otherwords, the name of the link is the first entry followed by a ; and
then the actual link is after that.

Hope I've made myself more clear!

Thanks,
Drew

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> huh? Lost me there.
> You want http://site/swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp generated from a db
> entry? or you want to pass a value?
>
> basically just a simple Response.Write of an HREF will do what you need,
> just put in within the DB lookup/read loop.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would like to explore some different ways to build a link out of the
>>following string from a db,
>>
>> Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp: Records;
>> swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
>>
>> Which is just a string that has the link name, then the link target. So
>> I would need to programmatically build a link from this field. I have
>> found some other ways around this, but they involve Regular Expressions
>> in vbscript and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of
>> doing this. My database table looks like this,
>>
>> Username - the username of the user
>> Userlinks - the links as above, Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp:
>> Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
>>
>> I am open to any sort of delimeter instead of the : and ;.
>>
>> This will be used for an Intranet front page and would allow the users to
>> have "quick links" on the front page.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Drew Laing

Drew

Well that isn't how the data has to be, I just wanted users to be able to
have as many links as they wanted, and I didn't know of a structure that
could do that.

I guess I could use something like this,

Username
UserLink1
UserLink2
UserLink3
UserLink4
UserLink5
UserLink6
UserLink7
UserLink8
UserLink9
UserLink10

Would that be a better structure?

Thanks,
Drew

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is an interesting method of storing data you have there... If this
> is how your data is, and assuming you cannot do anything about that, you
> can do:
>
> Dim sLinks, aLinks, aLink, sLinkTitle, sHref
> Dim i
>
> sLinks = yourRecordset.Fields.Item("Userlinks").Value
> aLinks = Split(sLinks, ":")
> For i = 0 To UBound(aLinks)
> aLink = Split(aLinks(i), ";")
> If UBound(aLink) = 1 Then
> sLinkTitle = Trim(aLink(0))
> sHref = Trim(aLink(1))
> End If
> Next
>

> Ray at work
>

> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would like to explore some different ways to build a link out of the
>>following string from a db,
>>
>> Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp: Records;
>> swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
>>
>> Which is just a string that has the link name, then the link target. So
>> I would need to programmatically build a link from this field. I have
>> found some other ways around this, but they involve Regular Expressions
>> in vbscript and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of
>> doing this. My database table looks like this,
>>
>> Username - the username of the user
>> Userlinks - the links as above, Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp:
>> Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
>>
>> I am open to any sort of delimeter instead of the : and ;.
>>
>> This will be used for an Intranet front page and would allow the users to
>> have "quick links" on the front page.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Drew Laing

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

NO, this would be a terrible design! You waste 10 columns on the user who
doesn't want any links, 9 columns on the user who only wants one, and you
don't have enough for the user who wants 11 (or 111).

CREATE TABLE dbo.Users
(
UserID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
Username VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL UNIQUE
)

CREATE TABLE dbo.UserLinks
(
UserID INT NOT NULL
FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES dbo.Users(UserID),
Link VARCHAR(32)
)

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well that isn't how the data has to be, I just wanted users to be able to
> have as many links as they wanted, and I didn't know of a structure that
> could do that.
>
> I guess I could use something like this,
>
> Username
> UserLink1
> UserLink2
> UserLink3
> UserLink4
> UserLink5
> UserLink6
> UserLink7
> UserLink8
> UserLink9
> UserLink10
>
> Would that be a better structure?
>
> Thanks,
> Drew

> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That is an interesting method of storing data you have there... If this
> > is how your data is, and assuming you cannot do anything about that, you
> > can do:
> >
> > Dim sLinks, aLinks, aLink, sLinkTitle, sHref
> > Dim i
> >
> > sLinks = yourRecordset.Fields.Item("Userlinks").Value
> > aLinks = Split(sLinks, ":")
> > For i = 0 To UBound(aLinks)
> > aLink = Split(aLinks(i), ";")
> > If UBound(aLink) = 1 Then
> > sLinkTitle = Trim(aLink(0))
> > sHref = Trim(aLink(1))
> > Response.Write "<a href=""" & sHref & """>" & sLinkTitle &

"</a><br>"
> > End If
> > Next
> >

> > Ray at work
> >

> > "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I would like to explore some different ways to build a link out of the
> >>following string from a db,
> >>
> >> Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp: Records;
> >> swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
> >>
> >> Which is just a string that has the link name, then the link target.

So
> >> I would need to programmatically build a link from this field. I have
> >> found some other ways around this, but they involve Regular Expressions
> >> in vbscript and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of
> >> doing this. My database table looks like this,
> >>
> >> Username - the username of the user
> >> Userlinks - the links as above, Fiscal; swvtc/fiscal/fiscaldata.asp:
> >> Records; swvtc/records/recordsdata.asp:
> >>
> >> I am open to any sort of delimeter instead of the : and ;.
> >>
> >> This will be used for an Intranet front page and would allow the users

> >> have "quick links" on the front page.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Drew Laing

Drew

That's what I thought, but I hadn't thought about your design...

How can I make an insert page that has checkboxes that the users check which
links they want and then it inserts a new record for each item checked? I
don't think that I have ever done this.

Thanks!
Drew

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> NO, this would be a terrible design! You waste 10 columns on the user who
> doesn't want any links, 9 columns on the user who only wants one, and you
> don't have enough for the user who wants 11 (or 111).
>
> CREATE TABLE dbo.Users
> (
> UserID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
> Username VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL UNIQUE
> )
>
> CREATE TABLE dbo.UserLinks
> (
> UserID INT NOT NULL
> FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES dbo.Users(UserID),
> Link VARCHAR(32)
> )
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well that isn't how the data has to be, I just wanted users to be able to
>> have as many links as they wanted, and I didn't know of a structure that
>> could do that.
>>
>> I guess I could use something like this,
>>
>> Username
>> UserLink1
>> UserLink2
>> UserLink3
>> UserLink4
>> UserLink5
>> UserLink6
>> UserLink7
>> UserLink8
>> UserLink9
>> UserLink10
>>
>> Would that be a better structure?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Drew
>>
>> "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > That is an interesting method of storing data you have there... If
>> > this
>> > is how your data is, and assuming you cannot do anything about that,
>> > you
>> > can do:
>> >
>> > Dim sLinks, aLinks, aLink, sLinkTitle, sHref
>> > Dim i
>> >
>> > sLinks = yourRecordset.Fields.Item("Userlinks").Value
>> > aLinks = Split(sLinks, ":")
>> > For i = 0 To UBound(aLinks)
>> > aLink = Split(aLinks(i), ";")
>> > If UBound(aLink) = 1 Then
>> > sLinkTitle = Trim(aLink(0))
>> > sHref = Trim(aLink(1))
>> > Response.Write "<a href=""" & sHref & """>" & sLinkTitle &

> "</a><br>"
>> > End If
>> > Next
>> >

>> > Ray at work
>> >

>> > "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> So

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

You create an HTML form <form> and have the form submit data to an ASP page
that processes the data and updates your database. That's the generic
explanation anyway.

I suggest starting a new thread if you would like to discuss this further,
as the topic has now changed.

Ray at work

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> How can I make an insert page that has checkboxes that the users check
> which links they want and then it inserts a new record for each item
> checked? I don't think that I have ever done this.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Or see some ASP-db tutorials, which will probably answer 90% of the
question(s)...

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You create an HTML form <form> and have the form submit data to an ASP

page
> that processes the data and updates your database. That's the generic
> explanation anyway.
>
> I suggest starting a new thread if you would like to discuss this further,
> as the topic has now changed.
>
> Ray at work
>

> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > How can I make an insert page that has checkboxes that the users check
> > which links they want and then it inserts a new record for each item
> > checked? I don't think that I have ever done this.

Drew

I didn't mean to sound like a newbie, I meant that I had never looped
anything, I have done regular inserts for 1 record at a time, but not for
multiple records. I will research, see what I find and if I have any
questions, I will ask!