Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > List all employees

List all employees

JP SIngh

Hi All

I have a table which stores the employee details. The format of the table is
below

EmpNo _ Integer
FirstName - Text
Lastname - Text
ManagerNo - Integer

What I would like to do is to display in a tree structure all the employees
reporting to a particular employee.

For examples I might have 4 people reporting to me and also might have other
employees reporting to those who report to me. Something like the structure
below.

Employee A
Employee B
Employee B.1
Employee B.2
Employee C
Employee D
Employee D.1
Employee D.2
Employee D.2.2
Employee E

Anyone has any idea who this can be done. Some sample code will be much
appreciated
thanks

Jas

Bob Barrows [MVP]

If you are using SQL Server, look up "Expanding Hierarchies" in BOL. If some
other database, post back and let us know which one.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

JP SIngh

The database is Access 2000.

thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are using SQL Server, look up "Expanding Hierarchies" in BOL. If

some
> other database, post back and let us know which one.
>
> Bob Barrows
> JP SIngh wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have a table which stores the employee details. The format of the
> > table is below
> >
> > EmpNo _ Integer
> > FirstName - Text
> > Lastname - Text
> > ManagerNo - Integer
> >
> > What I would like to do is to display in a tree structure all the
> > employees reporting to a particular employee.
> >
> > For examples I might have 4 people reporting to me and also might
> > have other employees reporting to those who report to me. Something
> > like the structure below.
> >
> > Employee A
> > Employee B
> > Employee B.1
> > Employee B.2
> > Employee C
> > Employee D
> > Employee D.1
> > Employee D.2
> > Employee D.2.2
> > Employee E
> >
> > Anyone has any idea who this can be done. Some sample code will be
> > much appreciated
> > thanks
> >
> > Jas

> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I don't have time to thoroughly deal with this question right now (I'm at
work), so I suggest that you spend some time using Google to research using
ASP to expand hierarchical data stored in an Access table using a
self-referencing relationship into tree views. There, that should be enough
keywords to keep you busy until tonight. Post back if you have specific
questions and I will be able to address them then.

Bob Barrows
JP SIngh wrote:
> The database is Access 2000.
>
> thanks
>
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you are using SQL Server, look up "Expanding Hierarchies" in BOL.
>> If some other database, post back and let us know which one.
>>
>> Bob Barrows
>> JP SIngh wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I have a table which stores the employee details. The format of the
>>> table is below
>>>
>>> EmpNo _ Integer
>>> FirstName - Text
>>> Lastname - Text
>>> ManagerNo - Integer
>>>
>>> What I would like to do is to display in a tree structure all the
>>> employees reporting to a particular employee.
>>>
>>> For examples I might have 4 people reporting to me and also might
>>> have other employees reporting to those who report to me. Something
>>> like the structure below.
>>>
>>> Employee A
>>> Employee B
>>> Employee B.1
>>> Employee B.2
>>> Employee C
>>> Employee D
>>> Employee D.1
>>> Employee D.2
>>> Employee D.2.2
>>> Employee E
>>>
>>> Anyone has any idea who this can be done. Some sample code will be
>>> much appreciated
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Jas

>> --
>> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Chris Hohmann

"JP SIngh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I have a table which stores the employee details. The format of the table

is
> below
>
> EmpNo _ Integer
> FirstName - Text
> Lastname - Text
> ManagerNo - Integer
>
> What I would like to do is to display in a tree structure all the

employees
> reporting to a particular employee.
>
> For examples I might have 4 people reporting to me and also might have

other
> employees reporting to those who report to me. Something like the

structure
> below.
>
> Employee A
> Employee B
> Employee B.1
> Employee B.2
> Employee C
> Employee D
> Employee D.1
> Employee D.2
> Employee D.2.2
> Employee E
>
> Anyone has any idea who this can be done. Some sample code will be much
> appreciated
> thanks

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP12.phx.gbl

Chris Hohmann

"Chris Hohmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ug2L%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JP SIngh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have a table which stores the employee details. The format of the

table
> is
> > below
> >
> > EmpNo _ Integer
> > FirstName - Text
> > Lastname - Text
> > ManagerNo - Integer
> >
> > What I would like to do is to display in a tree structure all the

> employees
> > reporting to a particular employee.
> >
> > For examples I might have 4 people reporting to me and also might have

> other
> > employees reporting to those who report to me. Something like the

> structure
> > below.
> >
> > Employee A
> > Employee B
> > Employee B.1
> > Employee B.2
> > Employee C
> > Employee D
> > Employee D.1
> > Employee D.2
> > Employee D.2.2
> > Employee E
> >
> > Anyone has any idea who this can be done. Some sample code will be much
> > appreciated
> > thanks

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP12.phx.gbl

Sorry, forgot the part where you said you were using Access 2000. Here's a
database agnostic version:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...TNGP12.phx.gbl

Ben Strackany

Try pulling all the data back & using a recursive function to display it
within <ul>, kinda like

rs = getdata()
empid = request("employeeid")

showgrunts rs, empid

sub showgrunts(rs, id)
var rsTmp
set rsTmp = rs.clone
response.write "<ul>"
rsTmp.filter = "ManagerNo = " & id
' list employees
while not rs.eof
response.write "<li>" & rs("FirstName") & " " & rs("LastName")
' list this guys grunts
showgrunts rs, rs("EmpNo")
response.write "</li>"
rs.movenext
wend
response.write "</ul>"
set rsTmp = nothing
end sub

I'm assuming you dont have bajillions of employees.

--
Ben Strackany
www.developmentnow.com

"JP SIngh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I have a table which stores the employee details. The format of the table

is
> below
>
> EmpNo _ Integer
> FirstName - Text
> Lastname - Text
> ManagerNo - Integer
>
> What I would like to do is to display in a tree structure all the

employees
> reporting to a particular employee.
>
> For examples I might have 4 people reporting to me and also might have

other
> employees reporting to those who report to me. Something like the

structure
> below.
>
> Employee A
> Employee B
> Employee B.1
> Employee B.2
> Employee C
> Employee D
> Employee D.1
> Employee D.2
> Employee D.2.2
> Employee E
>
> Anyone has any idea who this can be done. Some sample code will be much
> appreciated
> thanks
>
> Jas

JP SIngh

HI Chris

Thanks for pointing this out. We are not fimiliar with XML hence looking for
an ASP version of the code.

"Chris Hohmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Chris Hohmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ug2L%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "JP SIngh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I have a table which stores the employee details. The format of the

> table
> > is
> > > below
> > >
> > > EmpNo _ Integer
> > > FirstName - Text
> > > Lastname - Text
> > > ManagerNo - Integer
> > >
> > > What I would like to do is to display in a tree structure all the

> > employees
> > > reporting to a particular employee.
> > >
> > > For examples I might have 4 people reporting to me and also might have

> > other
> > > employees reporting to those who report to me. Something like the

> > structure
> > > below.
> > >
> > > Employee A
> > > Employee B
> > > Employee B.1
> > > Employee B.2
> > > Employee C
> > > Employee D
> > > Employee D.1
> > > Employee D.2
> > > Employee D.2.2
> > > Employee E
> > >
> > > Anyone has any idea who this can be done. Some sample code will be

much
> > > appreciated
> > > thanks

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP12.phx.gbl

> Sorry, forgot the part where you said you were using Access 2000. Here's a
> database agnostic version:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...TNGP12.phx.gbl

Fair warning to all postal employees! djholman Digital Photography 1 03-18-2008 05:37 PM
Microsoft Employees =?Utf-8?B?am9yZGFu?= MCSD 1 05-03-2005 08:29 AM
ATTEN ALL EMPLOYEES... [humour] Weyoun the Dancing Borg Computer Information 2 05-12-2004 03:09 AM
To Cisco Employees Diane Cisco 2 05-01-2004 10:21 PM
Met employees today Brat MCSE 35 01-29-2004 05:34 PM

Advertisments