Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > IIS ins't running

IIS ins't running

Dave Neve

Hi

I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot

The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
correctly, then if I type in an explorer

http://myip
or
http://mycomputername,

then I should get two windows up on the screen.

But all I get is that the site is unavailable using IE 5.5.

I have Windows XP with SP1 and SP2 installed.

My system is tweaked to stop unnecessary services from starting up and I
have tried going through the list in Administration Systems -Services but I
haven't managed to solve the problem.

What is likely to stop IIS from running.

Thanks in advance

Dave Neve

Tim Slattery

"Dave Neve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot
>
>The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
>correctly, then if I type in an explorer
>
>http://myip
>or
>http://mycomputername,
>
>then I should get two windows up on the screen.

Have you tried:

http://localhost ?

The browser will try to resolve myip or mycomputername to an IP
address, using your hosts file then the DNS system. If it can't come
up with an IP address, it will display a message something like what
you quote. "localhost" or the loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 should
work.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Dave Neve

Hi

Local host doesn't work either.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
"Tim Slattery" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dave Neve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot
>>
>>The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
>>correctly, then if I type in an explorer
>>
>>http://myip
>>or
>>http://mycomputername,
>>
>>then I should get two windows up on the screen.

> Have you tried:
>
> http://localhost ?
>
> The browser will try to resolve myip or mycomputername to an IP
> address, using your hosts file then the DNS system. If it can't come
> up with an IP address, it will display a message something like what
> you quote. "localhost" or the loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 should
> work.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Hal Rosser

its likely that you did not 'start' the IIS server.
right-click on my-computer
choose 'manage'
etc
start the default web site

"Dave Neve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23j%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot
>
> The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
> correctly, then if I type in an explorer
>
> http://myip
> or
> http://mycomputername,
>
> then I should get two windows up on the screen.
>
> But all I get is that the site is unavailable using IE 5.5.
>
> I have Windows XP with SP1 and SP2 installed.
>
> My system is tweaked to stop unnecessary services from starting up and I
> have tried going through the list in Administration Systems -Services but

> haven't managed to solve the problem.
>
> What is likely to stop IIS from running.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave Neve

---

Mark Schupp

try 127.0.0.1

--
--Mark Schupp
Head of Development

"Dave Neve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Local host doesn't work either.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
> "Tim Slattery" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Dave Neve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot
>>>
>>>The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is
>>>installed
>>>correctly, then if I type in an explorer
>>>
>>>http://myip
>>>or
>>>http://mycomputername,
>>>
>>>then I should get two windows up on the screen.

>> Have you tried:
>>
>> http://localhost ?
>>
>> The browser will try to resolve myip or mycomputername to an IP
>> address, using your hosts file then the DNS system. If it can't come
>> up with an IP address, it will display a message something like what
>> you quote. "localhost" or the loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 should
>> work.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Slattery
>> MS MVP(DTS)