Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > access database on other PC

access database on other PC

Trinità

Excuse me for my english, i'm Italian.
I have iis and asp page on my computer, but the databse (access database) is
on another computer in the same domain.
which connection string i must use ? can we post an example ?

thank's

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Ciao TrinitÓ,

In a default configuration, ASP pages run under the IIS server's local
account called IUSR_computername. If this user tries to access a share on
another computer, it will be denied access to it, because the other computer
is not familiar with the account computername\IUSR_computername. What you
can do is create an account in your domain, setup your page, application, or
site to use this user instead of IUSR_computername, and then grant that user
the necessary NTFS and share permissions to the share on the other server.
At that point, you'd use a normal Access database connection string, but
you'd use a UNC path to the database, i.e.

sConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=\\FileServerName\ShareName\DatabaseName.mdb ;"

Also, see the "If the file is within your LAN" section here for other
options. http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

Ray at work

"TrinitÓ" <TrinitÓ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excuse me for my english, i'm Italian.
> I have iis and asp page on my computer, but the databse (access database)
> is
> on another computer in the same domain.
> which connection string i must use ? can we post an example ?
>
> thank's

Trinità

"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

> Ciao Trinit├*,
>
> In a default configuration, ASP pages run under the IIS server's local
> account called IUSR_computername. If this user tries to access a share on
> another computer, it will be denied access to it, because the other computer
> is not familiar with the account computername\IUSR_computername. What you
> can do is create an account in your domain, setup your page, application, or
> site to use this user instead of IUSR_computername, and then grant that user
> the necessary NTFS and share permissions to the share on the other server.
> At that point, you'd use a normal Access database connection string, but
> you'd use a UNC path to the database, i.e.
>
> sConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
> Source=\\FileServerName\ShareName\DatabaseName.mdb ;"
>
> Also, see the "If the file is within your LAN" section here for other
> options. http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Trinit├*" <Trinit├*@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Excuse me for my english, i'm Italian.
> > I have iis and asp page on my computer, but the databse (access database)
> > is
> > on another computer in the same domain.
> > which connection string i must use ? can we post an example ?
> >
> > thank's

ok thanks !