Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Please Help, Retrive data from the web.

Please Help, Retrive data from the web.

Robert

Hosting: Windows 2003 Server, Asp3.0 , Asp.Net supported.

I use asp cdosys for visitors to email me a form containing the message
they type, + their ip address.

I need to verify for statistic, where is that ip address located in.

I do the following procedure that works fine, but i would like to automate it.

1) I goto the following address http://www.ripe.net/db/whois/whois.html
Is a pubblic whois service, for european region ip addresses

2) I type the ipaddress in "searchtext" textbox

3) i press "search" button ( that is called "do_search" )

4) i check the row that contain the value Country : XX
( XX may be "US" or "UK" or whatever )

I would like to automate the procedure and receive in the email
not only the ip address but also the two letters for the
corrisponding country

P.S. : PLEASE don't propose/suggest me, any commercial product or service.

Also I was wondering how to have in a web page something like

Cities Temperatures :
"London " & London_Temperature
"Madrid " & Madrid_Temperature
"Rome " & Rome_Temperature

Of course i want updated data to display, with page load temperature
to be checked somewhere in the web, and passed in the web page,
possibly with ASP or ASP.Net , but i don't known how to do that.

Any Help Appreciated.

Best Regards.

Robert.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hosting: Windows 2003 Server, Asp3.0 , Asp.Net supported.
>
> I use asp cdosys for visitors to email me a form containing the message
> they type, + their ip address.
>
> I need to verify for statistic, where is that ip address located in.
>

> I do the following procedure that works fine, but i would like to automate
> it.
>
> 1) I goto the following address http://www.ripe.net/db/whois/whois.html
> Is a pubblic whois service, for european region ip addresses
>
> 2) I type the ipaddress in "searchtext" textbox
>
> 3) i press "search" button ( that is called "do_search" )
>
> 4) i check the row that contain the value Country : XX
> ( XX may be "US" or "UK" or whatever )
>

> I would like to automate the procedure and receive in the email
> not only the ip address but also the two letters for the
> corrisponding country

You could try this technique:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2173

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/

Robert

I copied the following code from the web, it works, but retrive the
full page.
I'm intrested in the portion of text, between "country:" and
"admin-c:"

I should use regular expression, but i'm not familiar with them.
Can You help ?

Best Regards.

Robert.

This is default.asp
<%
'Intruduce the url you want to visit
GotothisURL = "http://www.ripe.net/whois?form_type=simple&full_query_string=&searchte xt=82.51.18.239&do_search=Search"
' Create the xml object
Set GetConnection = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
' Conect to specified URL
GetConnection.Open "get", GotothisURL, False
on error resume next
GetConnection.Send

' ResponsePage is the response we will get when visiting GotothisURL
ResponsePage = GetConnection.responseText

' We will write
if ResponsePage="" then
Response.write("The page is not available")
else
Response.write(ResponsePage)
end if
Set GetConnection = Nothing