Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Send Dictionary Object to Stored procedure?

Send Dictionary Object to Stored procedure?

Shahid Juma

Hi,

I was wondering before I proceed much further whether it is possible to pass
in the Dictionary object (Scripting.Dictionary) from ASP to a stored
procedure in SQL Server. Any sample sites or simple code examples would be
really great.

Thanks,
Shahid

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

I think you'd have to pull the values of out your dictionary object and pass
them.

Ray at home

"Shahid Juma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering before I proceed much further whether it is possible to
> pass
> in the Dictionary object (Scripting.Dictionary) from ASP to a stored
> procedure in SQL Server. Any sample sites or simple code examples would be
> really great.
>
> Thanks,
> Shahid

Shahid Juma

How about arrays? Can arrays be passed? The dictionary object has functions
that return the values as arrays.

Shahid

message news:%23iN6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I think you'd have to pull the values of out your dictionary object and

pass
> them.
>
> Ray at home
>
> "Shahid Juma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering before I proceed much further whether it is possible to
> > pass
> > in the Dictionary object (Scripting.Dictionary) from ASP to a stored
> > procedure in SQL Server. Any sample sites or simple code examples would

be
> > really great.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shahid

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Nope. You can join an array and then split it again in your stored
procedure, example:
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/passing_arr...procedures.htm

Ray at home

"Shahid Juma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How about arrays? Can arrays be passed? The dictionary object has
> functions
> that return the values as arrays.
>
> Shahid

> message news:%23iN6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I think you'd have to pull the values of out your dictionary object and

> pass
>> them.
>>
>> Ray at home
>>
>> "Shahid Juma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I was wondering before I proceed much further whether it is possible to
>> > pass
>> > in the Dictionary object (Scripting.Dictionary) from ASP to a stored
>> > procedure in SQL Server. Any sample sites or simple code examples would

> be
>> > really great.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Shahid

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

SQL Server does not understand what dictionary objects or arrays are. You
will have to flatten them into strings in order to pass them to a stored
procedure. One way is through comma-delimited lists:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2248

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Shahid Juma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering before I proceed much further whether it is possible to

pass
> in the Dictionary object (Scripting.Dictionary) from ASP to a stored
> procedure in SQL Server. Any sample sites or simple code examples would be
> really great.
>
> Thanks,
> Shahid

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Shahid Juma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering before I proceed much further whether it is possible
> to pass in the Dictionary object (Scripting.Dictionary) from ASP to a
> stored procedure in SQL Server. Any sample sites or simple code
> examples would be really great.
>
> Thanks,
> Shahid

In addition to Aaron and Ray's suggestions, Erland has several other options
in his article about Arrays and Lists here:

http://www.sommarskog.se/index.html

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET