Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CreateFolder FileSystemObject hangs

CreateFolder FileSystemObject hangs

Bren

In the code below I'm trying to create a directory. It works on the
production server, but it doesn't on my dev server; I'm running XP Pro, but
I don't belong to a domain; I'm running it in a workgroup instead. I've
enabled the write option in IIS on the directory.

Because I'm not in a domain, there's no security tab on the property dialog
for the folder in Windows Explorer, so I can't assign IUSR access right
there. Do you have any suggestions to give access rights?

Maybe the failure on my machine is not access rights, but something else,
because on the production server, before I was granted permission, I got an
access rights denied browser error message, but on my machine, there was no
error message; the browser just hangs on the CreateFolder command.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bren

sPath = Server.MapPath("\") & "\app\test"
If not(fso.FolderExists(sPath)) Then
Set f = fso.CreateFolder(sPath)
Response.write(f.Path)
end if

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Hi Bren,

Check out http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180.

Ray at home

"Bren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> the browser just hangs on the CreateFolder command.
>

> sPath = Server.MapPath("\") & "\app\test"

Bren

Ray,

Thanks for your reply to my posting.

I did have Norton Anti Virus Script Blocking turned on.

Turning it off, I now get the "Access Denied" error message.

so, the next step is for me to figure out how to allow write permissions to
the app.

thanks, Bren

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bren,
>
> Check out http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180.
>
> Ray at home
>
> "Bren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > the browser just hangs on the CreateFolder command.
> >

> > sPath = Server.MapPath("\") & "\app\test"

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Make sure that IUSR_computername, assuming a default configuration, has NTFS
permissions to create a directory in the location you're trying to create
it.

Ray at home

"Bren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray,
>
> Thanks for your reply to my posting.
>
> I did have Norton Anti Virus Script Blocking turned on.
>
> Turning it off, I now get the "Access Denied" error message.
>
> so, the next step is for me to figure out how to allow write permissions
> the app.
>
> thanks, Bren

> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Bren,
>>
>> Check out http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180.
>>
>> Ray at home
>>
>> "Bren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > the browser just hangs on the CreateFolder command.
>> >

>> > sPath = Server.MapPath("\") & "\app\test"

Bren

Thanks again Ray.

For me, the solution to the permission problem was to open the property
dialog of the directory into which the app page would be creating
directories, on the sharing tab, share the directory and "allow network
users to change my files"

This enables the IUSR account, which is a member of Guests by default, to
write to the directory and create folders.

message news:eBFaB$(E-Mail Removed)...