Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > 800a01fb error when adding a key-item pair in the dictionary objec

800a01fb error when adding a key-item pair in the dictionary objec

Samuel

I have a user complaining about a random error (sporadic, cannot be reliably
reproduced):

=================================
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01fb'

An exception occurred: 'objDict.add'

=================================

And this error happens at different lines in the file. objDict is just a
dictionary object, and I don't see any problem with my code because this
error only happens on one client's shared server (IIS 6), and it only happens
at random times.

Is there a memory size limit that a single instance of the dictionary object
can hold? I by no means store a lot of data (only short strings and integer)
but I just want to rule out the possibility that the problem is with my code.

Where can I find more info on this? Is there any possible cause of this
problem?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Samuel wrote:
> I have a user complaining about a random error (sporadic, cannot be
> reliably reproduced):
>
> =================================
> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01fb'
>
> An exception occurred: 'objDict.add'
>
> =================================
>
> And this error happens at different lines in the file. objDict is
> just a dictionary object, and I don't see any problem with my code
> because this error only happens on one client's shared server (IIS
> 6), and it only happens at random times.
>
> Is there a memory size limit that a single instance of the dictionary
> object can hold? I by no means store a lot of data (only short
> strings and integer) but I just want to rule out the possibility that
> the problem is with my code.

No

> Where can I find more info on this? Is there any possible cause of
> this problem?

No, you're going to have to do some error-trapping and log the data that
causes the error to occur. You have zero chance of solving the problem if
you cannot cause it to occur reliably.

Bob BArrows

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Samuel

I got a notification from the newsgroup saying someone replied my post and
ask me to come back and rate the response.. but I dont see anything other
than my own post here??

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Samuel wrote:
> I got a notification from the newsgroup saying someone replied my
> post and ask me to come back and rate the response.. but I dont see
> anything other than my own post here??

Suggestions:

1. Click the + symbol next to your original post
2. Use a real news reader instead of the IE interface. Outlook Express can
be pretty simple t set up

Bob Barrows
PS. Of course, you're probably not going to see this message ....
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Samuel

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

> No, you're going to have to do some error-trapping and log the data that
> causes the error to occur. You have zero chance of solving the problem if
> you cannot cause it to occur reliably.

Thanks for your reply. Let me briefly explain what the objDict does in my
software. We originally cached some data (site specific information,
relatively static) from a database table in the Application object, but we
wanted to be able to scale out to multiple front ends, so I modified the
software so that it now retrieves info from the database every single time
users request a page from the software (it is done inside an include file).
And the data the dictionary object stores are indentical every single time
unless the software admin changes some site specific information (which
rarely happens). This is what I don't get. Because the data stored in the
dictionary are identical every single time, how can it fails at one time and
not the other?

Samuel

I did see your post.. it must be a glitch last time I checked. I used the IE
interface a lot because it allows reply notification.

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

> Samuel wrote:
> > I got a notification from the newsgroup saying someone replied my
> > post and ask me to come back and rate the response.. but I dont see
> > anything other than my own post here??

> Suggestions:
>
> 1. Click the + symbol next to your original post
> 2. Use a real news reader instead of the IE interface. Outlook Express can
> be pretty simple t set up
>
> Bob Barrows
> PS. Of course, you're probably not going to see this message ....
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Samuel wrote:
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> No, you're going to have to do some error-trapping and log the data
>> that causes the error to occur. You have zero chance of solving the
>> problem if you cannot cause it to occur reliably.

> Thanks for your reply. Let me briefly explain what the objDict does
> in my software. We originally cached some data (site specific
> information, relatively static) from a database table in the
> Application object, but we wanted to be able to scale out to multiple
> front ends, so I modified the software so that it now retrieves info
> from the database every single time users request a page from the
> software (it is done inside an include file). And the data the
> dictionary object stores are indentical every single time unless the
> software admin changes some site specific information (which rarely
> happens). This is what I don't get. Because the data stored in the
> dictionary are identical every single time, how can it fails at one
> time and not the other?

I reiterate: without some error trapping and logging so you know exactly
what caused the error, you have no hope at all of solving this problem.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

[MSFT]

Hello,

I agree with Bob that you had better to log some necessary information to
narrow down the problem. For example, you may check if the objects saved in
the dictionary are same. And all the properties of the dictionary object,
like Count, the item's key and CompareMode Property. Since the error only
occur with only one client, it may sent different data to the server than
others. You alos may try clean the cookie on the particular client and log
on as same user to narrow down the problem.

Luke

[MSFT]

Hello,

Did the error get fixed? If you need more information on this issue,please
feel free to let me know.

Luke