Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP form textbox to HTML formatting

Reply
Thread Tools

ASP form textbox to HTML formatting

 
 
Jonathan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
Hi,
I have to use the nl2br function in the asp file, luckly I got this
code from a site. What I need done is to display textbox content the
way it was typed/pasted i.e. with paragraph breaks and color
formatting. The code I used is below but it does not work. Can someone
please help me out, its rather urgent and important.


<%
function nl2br(str)
nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
end function
response.write nl2br(essay)
%>

but I am from PHP world I dont understand ASP, for the time being I
have to use this function in ASP mail script that uses CDONTS to send
email.

in that email script the html form in sending variable to this asp
script and then it sends a mail with the content showing all the
variables inside the table. The code where the value of the variables
is displayed is something like

"<tr><td>Essay</td><td>" & essay & "</td></tr>"


Where my variable essay is displayed between & & now I dont know where
to put that nl2br function

when i write & response.write nl2br(essay) & it shows error when i
remove the & it again shows error.

Please help me and sorry for being so dump in sorting such a simple
thing.


And yes the script works without the nl2br


regards
Jonathan
<%
Function Fixquotes(theString)
Fixquotes = Replace(theString,"'","''")
End Function
Function sendmail( fromwho, towho, subject, body)
Dim objNewMail
Set objNewMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")

objNewMail.From = fromwho
objNewMail.To = towho
objNewMail.Bcc = bccwho
objNewMail.Subject = subject
objNewMail.BodyFormat = 0
objNewMail.MailFormat = 0
objNewMail.Body = body

On Error Resume Next
objNewMail.Send
set objNewMail = nothing
If Err <> 0 Then
sendmail = "ERROR"
else
sendmail = "SUCCESS"
End If


End Function

Name=Fixquotes(trim(Request("FName")))
age=Fixquotes(trim(Request("age")))
Nationality=Fixquotes(trim(Request("nationality")) )
email=Fixquotes(trim(Request("email")))
Address=Fixquotes(trim(Request("Address")))
Phone=Fixquotes(trim(Request("phone")))
Profession=Fixquotes(trim(Request("profession")))
Education=Fixquotes(trim(Request("education")))
Essay=Fixquotes(trim(Request("essay")))

function nl2br(str)
nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
end function


Subject = "Strategic Foresight Group Essay Contest"

body = "<table border =1><tr><td>Name</td><td>"& Name & "</td></tr>"
& _
"<tr><td>Age</td><td>" & age & "</td></tr>" & _
"<tr><td>Nationality</td><td>" & nationality & "</td></tr>" & _
"<tr><td>Email</td><td>" & email & "</td></tr>" & _
"<tr><td>Address</td><td>" & address & "</td></tr>" & _
"<tr><td>Phone</td><td>" & Phone & "</td></tr>" & _
"<tr><td>Profession</td><td>" & profession & "</td></tr>" & _
"<tr><td>Education Level</td><td>" & education & "</td></tr>" & _
"<tr><td>Essay</td><td>" & response.write nl2br(essay) &
"</td></tr>"

towho = "(E-Mail Removed)"


Dim Status
Status = sendmail(name, towho, subject, body)


Response.Redirect "index.htm"
Response.End()
%>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004

<%
VbCrLf = Chr(10)&Chr(13)
function nl2br(str)
nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
end function
response.write nl2br(essay)
> %>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
John wrote on 11 okt 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

>
> <%
> VbCrLf = Chr(10)&Chr(13)


You do not need to define VbCrLf, it is build in in vbscript.

> function nl2br(str)
> nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
> end function
> response.write nl2br(essay)
>> %>

>
>
>




--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress,
but let us keep the discussions in the newsgroup)

 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
Is it build in in ASP? Here when not defined i have no replace. Once defined
it works fine ???
Maybe some files are missing on servers where VBCrLf is defined


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2004
"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns957F89271A816eejj99@194.109.133.29>...
> John wrote on 11 okt 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>
> >
> > <%
> > VbCrLf = Chr(10)&Chr(13)

>
> You do not need to define VbCrLf, it is build in in vbscript.
>
> > function nl2br(str)
> > nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
> > end function
> > response.write nl2br(essay)
> >> %>

> >
> >


Thanks for the quick response, but could you please tell me where do I
insert this code.

Regards,
Jonathan J.
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2004
Jonathan wrote on 12 okt 2004 in
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<Xns957F89271A816eejj99@194.109.133.29>...
>> John wrote on 11 okt 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>>
>> >
>> > <%
>> > VbCrLf = Chr(10)&Chr(13)

>>
>> You do not need to define VbCrLf, it is build in in vbscript.
>>
>> > function nl2br(str)
>> > nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
>> > end function
>> > response.write nl2br(essay)
>> >> %>

>
> Thanks for the quick response, but could you please tell me where do I
> insert this code.


Somewhere in your ASP vbscript code, Jonathan.

ASP is what this NG is all about.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress,
but let us keep the discussions in the newsgroup)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2004
"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns958067BC69B25eejj99@194.109.133.29>...
> Jonathan wrote on 12 okt 2004 in
> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> > "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<Xns957F89271A816eejj99@194.109.133.29>...
> >> John wrote on 11 okt 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> >>
> >> >
> >> > <%
> >> > VbCrLf = Chr(10)&Chr(13)
> >>
> >> You do not need to define VbCrLf, it is build in in vbscript.
> >>
> >> > function nl2br(str)
> >> > nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
> >> > end function
> >> > response.write nl2br(essay)
> >> >> %>

> >
> > Thanks for the quick response, but could you please tell me where do I
> > insert this code.

>
> Somewhere in your ASP vbscript code, Jonathan.
>
> ASP is what this NG is all about.


> >> > function nl2br(str)
> >> > nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
> >> > end function

I can paste this function anywhere in the ASP file but where do I
embed the value of var essay
and should we use response.write and how do we tackle that

thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jonathan) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns958067BC69B25eejj99@194.109.133.29>...
> > Jonathan wrote on 12 okt 2004 in
> > microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> > > "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:<Xns957F89271A816eejj99@194.109.133.29>...
> > >> John wrote on 11 okt 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> > >>
> > >> >
> > >> > <%
> > >> > VbCrLf = Chr(10)&Chr(13)
> > >>
> > >> You do not need to define VbCrLf, it is build in in vbscript.
> > >>
> > >> > function nl2br(str)
> > >> > nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
> > >> > end function
> > >> > response.write nl2br(essay)
> > >> >> %>
> > >
> > > Thanks for the quick response, but could you please tell me where do I
> > > insert this code.

> >
> > Somewhere in your ASP vbscript code, Jonathan.
> >
> > ASP is what this NG is all about.

>
> > >> > function nl2br(str)
> > >> > nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
> > >> > end function

> I can paste this function anywhere in the ASP file but where do I
> embed the value of var essay
> and should we use response.write and how do we tackle that
>
> thanks


Hi Evertjan,

Was waiting for your reply as I need to be able to do this urgently.

Using the code I have posted above can you tell me where and how I
should insert the piece of code that you sent me.

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2004
Jonathan wrote on 15 okt 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>> > >> > function nl2br(str)
>> > >> > nl2br=replace(str,VbCrLf, "<br >")
>> > >> > end function

>> I can paste this function anywhere in the ASP file but where do I
>> embed the value of var essay
>> and should we use response.write and how do we tackle that

>
> Hi Evertjan,
>
> Was waiting for your reply as I need to be able to do this urgently.
>
> Using the code I have posted above can you tell me where and how I
> should insert the piece of code that you sent me.


It was not my code, only commented on the VbCrLf.

Sorry, I am afraid you don't know enough of programming to tackle this by
yourself. Either learn more or hire a programmer.


--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress,
but let us keep the discussions in the newsgroup)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rich TextBox / HTML TextBox Jay ASP .Net 5 04-28-2005 11:15 PM
Rich TextBox / HTML TextBox Jay ASP .Net 1 04-28-2005 02:56 PM
Calendar popup - using ASP textbox instead of HTML textbox =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= ASP .Net 3 03-30-2005 06:02 PM
runat="server"....a simple html textbox or a webform server textbox...that is the question. Hazzard ASP .Net 2 07-23-2003 07:32 AM
Re: runat="server"....a simple html textbox or a webform server textbox...that is the question. Natty Gur ASP .Net 0 07-22-2003 03:57 AM



Advertisments