Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > DHTML object model parsing under ASP

DHTML object model parsing under ASP

egg

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm about to start a project, the idea is to have a web interface to let
user specify the URL of a target HTML document,
based on that URL, retrieved and parsed the HTML document using the DHTML
object model exposed by ActiveX
control WebBrowser, getting the position and dimension of each node inside
the HTML document, processed it and pass
the result back to the user as a new HTML document.

I understand by using webBrowser control, it will means load of works for
server and is not recommended, but I couldn't
find any other solution that could get the DHTML object model, specifically
those dimension info for nodes, eg: *.clientWidth,
*.clientHeight, *.offsetheight, etc. or perhaps there are better ways?

Thank you for all your time reading this

Sincerely,
Egg

Bob Barrows [MVP]

egg wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I'm about to start a project, the idea is to have a web interface to
> let user specify the URL of a target HTML document,
> based on that URL, retrieved and parsed the HTML document using the
> DHTML object model exposed by ActiveX
> control WebBrowser, getting the position and dimension of each node
> inside the HTML document, processed it and pass
> the result back to the user as a new HTML document.

????
I don't get it. Why not just response.write the html to the client? why is
it necessary to parse it?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

egg

Dear Sir,

I understand that, getting the *.clientHeight or any other information from
DHTML object model is easy from any browser,
but the targeted user are those that using pocket pc based devices, and
pocket IE doesn't support DHTML object model
at all, what I need to do is get a page the user want, parsed it to
webbrowser or mshtml, so the the dimension and position
of each node inside the DOM can be retrieved and further computation can be
done on the server side before passing it
back to the client pocket pc browser.

I hope that clear my question a bit better.

Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,
Egg

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> egg wrote:
> > Dear Sir/Madam,
> >
> > I'm about to start a project, the idea is to have a web interface to
> > let user specify the URL of a target HTML document,
> > based on that URL, retrieved and parsed the HTML document using the
> > DHTML object model exposed by ActiveX
> > control WebBrowser, getting the position and dimension of each node
> > inside the HTML document, processed it and pass
> > the result back to the user as a new HTML document.

> ????
> I don't get it. Why not just response.write the html to the client? why is
> it necessary to parse it?
>

> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> "NO SPAM"

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Sorry, but no, it's not any clearer. I'm going to back out of this
discussion.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

"egg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Sir,
>
> I understand that, getting the *.clientHeight or any other information
> from
> DHTML object model is easy from any browser,
> but the targeted user are those that using pocket pc based devices, and
> pocket IE doesn't support DHTML object model
> at all, what I need to do is get a page the user want, parsed it to
> webbrowser or mshtml, so the the dimension and position
> of each node inside the DOM can be retrieved and further computation can
> be
> done on the server side before passing it
> back to the client pocket pc browser.

You might go into the asp.net platform which is able to produce WML and all
that sort of non-HTML extensions.

In addition, you could use XML + DTD + XSLT to produce any output you wish.
But that is a more hard way to support client-platforms.

> I hope that clear my question a bit better.
>
> Thanks again for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
> Egg
>
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> egg wrote:
>> > Dear Sir/Madam,
>> >
>> > I'm about to start a project, the idea is to have a web interface to
>> > let user specify the URL of a target HTML document,
>> > based on that URL, retrieved and parsed the HTML document using the
>> > DHTML object model exposed by ActiveX
>> > control WebBrowser, getting the position and dimension of each node
>> > inside the HTML document, processed it and pass
>> > the result back to the user as a new HTML document.

>> ????
>> I don't get it. Why not just response.write the html to the client? why
>> is
>> it necessary to parse it?
>>

>> --
>> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
>> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
>> don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
>> "NO SPAM"

egg

Thank you for replying.

For example, a pocket pc user open a page www.someplace.com on pocket IE,
that page has a single input box and a single submit button
user type in www.hotmail.com in the input box, pressed the submit button,
that url is then passed to server, with a webbrowser/mshtml contol
accepting and loading that page inside the control itself, thus all nodes
are accessible via DOM, eg: document.clientHeight will return the height
value of the current html document, in this case, www.hotmail.com main page.
After processing those information on the server, new html page
will be created and return as result to the client browser, in this case,
the pocket IE of that pocket pc user.

Will it make more sense using CGI instead of asp? is there a better way of
parsing html other than webbrowser/mshtml control which still allowed
access to the dhtml object model?

Again, thanks for not abandoning my post just like that..

Sincerely,
Egg

"Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "egg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > I understand that, getting the *.clientHeight or any other information
> > from
> > DHTML object model is easy from any browser,
> > but the targeted user are those that using pocket pc based devices, and
> > pocket IE doesn't support DHTML object model
> > at all, what I need to do is get a page the user want, parsed it to
> > webbrowser or mshtml, so the the dimension and position
> > of each node inside the DOM can be retrieved and further computation can
> > be
> > done on the server side before passing it
> > back to the client pocket pc browser.

> You might go into the asp.net platform which is able to produce WML and

all
> that sort of non-HTML extensions.
>
> In addition, you could use XML + DTD + XSLT to produce any output you

wish.
> But that is a more hard way to support client-platforms.
>
> > I hope that clear my question a bit better.
> >
> > Thanks again for your time.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Egg
> >
> > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> ????
> >> I don't get it. Why not just response.write the html to the client? why
> >> is
> >> it necessary to parse it?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
> >> don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
> >> "NO SPAM"

Mark Schupp

I think clientHeight will return the window size of the rendering window in
the browser control, not the "design" size of the page.

You would probably be better off asking about this on a client-side HTML or
IE newsgroup.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development