Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Do Events

Do Events

Popeye

Is there a command within ASP similar to the Do Events command in VB6. The
problem I have is that an asp page that I have written outputs many lines
after extracting data from WMI. In total there are about 1000 lines
generated which are displayed within the browser and saved to a database.

The browser displays the correct results and they are saved into the
database. But the browser only displays the results after it has completed
the entire script. Is it possible to get it to output lines before
continuing with the rest of the script so I can display a section at a time.

Paul

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

The default setting in >= IIS 5.0 is the buffer all the response text,
meaning that no response is sent to the client until all the server-side
processing is finished. You can either turn off buffering for that page
(Response.Buffer = False), change it globally for the site or application,
or just use Response.Flush in your code.

<%

do while doing something that takes a really long time
'''code, code, code
Response.Flush
'''code, code, code
Loop
%>

Ray at home

"Popeye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04l9d.4693$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Is there a command within ASP similar to the Do Events command in VB6. The
> problem I have is that an asp page that I have written outputs many lines
> after extracting data from WMI. In total there are about 1000 lines
> generated which are displayed within the browser and saved to a database.
>
> The browser displays the correct results and they are saved into the
> database. But the browser only displays the results after it has completed
> the entire script. Is it possible to get it to output lines before
> continuing with the rest of the script so I can display a section at a
> time.
>
> Paul

Dave Anderson

Ray Costanzo [MVP] wrote:
> do while doing something that takes a really long time
> '''code, code, code
> Response.Flush
> '''code, code, code
> Loop

Another factor to consider is browser behavior. Some browsers (IE in
particular) don't like to display tables until they are closed. A
Response.Flush() for each row of a table will produce no improvement for the
IE user (Gecko-based browsers handle this just fine, FWIW).

--
Dave Anderson

Popeye

Thanks for this I got it to work fine in the end.

Regards
Paul

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...