Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > My server name?

My server name?

ah

I am running Windows XP Professional.
I am doing the msdn asp tutorial.
It says: type http://<Your Server Name>/Tutorial/Example1.asp in the address
bar.
I installed IIS but I don't know where to find my server name.

PW

"ah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running Windows XP Professional.
> I am doing the msdn asp tutorial.
> It says: type http://<Your Server Name>/Tutorial/Example1.asp in the

address
> bar.
> I installed IIS but I don't know where to find my server name.

use "localhost"

Jeff Cochran

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:06:32 +0100, "ah"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running Windows XP Professional.
>I am doing the msdn asp tutorial.
>It says: type http://<Your Server Name>/Tutorial/Example1.asp in the address
>bar.
>I installed IIS but I don't know where to find my server name.

It's the name of your computer. In ASP, you must access the page
through a URL, since the code has to be processed by the ASP engine.
You have to specify the host name (server name, system name, FQDN,
etc.) on the URL, and the MSDN tutorial uses the system name as an
example. If you can get to your web site by any other URL you can use
that, such as:

http://localhost/
http://{System_Name}/
http://www.sample.com/
http://{IP_Address}/

Jeff

Shahid Juma

You can even access it by going to http://127.0.0.1/.....

Shahid

"Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:06:32 +0100, "ah"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I am running Windows XP Professional.
> >I am doing the msdn asp tutorial.
> >It says: type http://<Your Server Name>/Tutorial/Example1.asp in the

address
> >bar.
> >I installed IIS but I don't know where to find my server name.

> It's the name of your computer. In ASP, you must access the page
> through a URL, since the code has to be processed by the ASP engine.
> You have to specify the host name (server name, system name, FQDN,
> etc.) on the URL, and the MSDN tutorial uses the system name as an
> example. If you can get to your web site by any other URL you can use
> that, such as:
>
> http://localhost/
> http://{System_Name}/
> http://www.sample.com/
> http://{IP_Address}/
>
> Jeff

ah

Thank you very much to everyone who helped. It works now.

"Shahid Juma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can even access it by going to http://127.0.0.1/.....
>
> Shahid
>
> "Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:06:32 +0100, "ah"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I am running Windows XP Professional.
>> >I am doing the msdn asp tutorial.
>> >It says: type http://<Your Server Name>/Tutorial/Example1.asp in the

> address
>> >bar.
>> >I installed IIS but I don't know where to find my server name.

>> It's the name of your computer. In ASP, you must access the page
>> through a URL, since the code has to be processed by the ASP engine.
>> You have to specify the host name (server name, system name, FQDN,
>> etc.) on the URL, and the MSDN tutorial uses the system name as an
>> example. If you can get to your web site by any other URL you can use
>> that, such as:
>>
>> http://localhost/
>> http://{System_Name}/
>> http://www.sample.com/