Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Newbie question... Executing code when a button is clicked...

Newbie question... Executing code when a button is clicked...

Brad Pears

Hello there.. I am completely new to ASP and web programming but I do
program in Acces and VB so know how to program...

There is a small project involving ASP going on here that I somehow got
dragged into. SInce I do not know anything abotu it, I downloaded a product
called ASPRunner which allows you to connect to a DB of choice using an ODBC
connection and it automatically generates a series of ASP pages which you
can then run. We have a test web site set up on our IIS server to play
around with.

SO, this worked good, but now I want to make some changes like provide data
editing and be able to add/modify buttons and the code behind them.

We do not have an ASP product like ASP.net isntalled here and as such have
used Visual Studio .NET to open one of the ASP pages that were generated by
ASPRunner.

Since there is no "form" per se - as compared to what I am used to (it's all
text in the ASP page) , where do I place code that I want to run when a
user clicks a button or enters data in a particular field?

For instance, as a test, I located a line defining buttons in one particular
ASP page. I then duplicated that line and changed some things and when I ran
the project - low and behold, there was my new button.

Now my question is, I want to have something happen when that button is
clicked - something real simple - like display the user a message that
"button was clicked".

Here is a button definition line I added...

input class=button type=button value="Test" ID="Test1" NAME="Test1"

How do I reference this in the code somewhere so that when it is clicked,
the code to display a message will run? Can someone give me some sample
code and point out how it all works?

Thanks,

Brad

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

http://www.aspfaq.com/5003

Ray at work

"Brad Pears" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23TdZyq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello there.. I am completely new to ASP and web programming but I do
> program in Acces and VB so know how to program...

Brad Pears

Ray, sorry if I did something wrong. You asked me to start a new thread
right? Well, that's what I thought I did.. I'm pretty sure I only posted to
this site. Did I accidentally post elsewhere as well? If I did I;m sorry...

message news:e5lYYy$(E-Mail Removed)...