Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Savas Ates

in asp page
im getting this error how can i solve it..
yesterday the codes work but i setup visual studio 6.0 now it doesnt
works..

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

What does your connection string look like? Are you connecting to the SQL
Server by its host name? If so, can your server resolve that name? Is
there a firewall in between? Is the server's network cable unplugged?

Ray at work

"Savas Ates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> in asp page
> im getting this error how can i solve it..
> yesterday the codes work but i setup visual studio 6.0 now it doesnt
> works..

Scott Ivey

I have the same problem. We recently moved our ASP app from Windows 2000 to
Windows 2003 Web servers, and when we did this our problems started popping
up. When we moved to the new servers, we also changed the connect strings
from using ODBC DSN's to OLEDB connect strings. To troubleshoot if that was
the cause, we copied the modified app back to the 2000 box, complete with
the new connect strings, and never saw the error happen there. We've tried
adding adding "Network Library=dbmssocn" into our connect strings, but that
didn't help. We added the SQL server to the hosts & lmhosts.sam files, and
did the same on the SQL server (added the web servers to the files) - but
that didn't help. We used the client network utility to enable both TCP/IP
& Named Pipes on the web servers - but that didn't help.

I've seen too many other posts on google to believe that this is an isolated
problem. I've also seen posts that made me believe that this has something
to do with going from Win2000 to Win2003.

The error is very sporadic. We have 100+ users on the app all day long, and
only every once in a while the error happens. If the user hits refresh
right after the error, the connection work just fine.

Please help!

Scott Ivey

message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What does your connection string look like? Are you connecting to the SQL
> Server by its host name? If so, can your server resolve that name? Is
> there a firewall in between? Is the server's network cable unplugged?
>
> Ray at work
>

> "Savas Ates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> in asp page
>> im getting this error how can i solve it..
>> yesterday the codes work but i setup visual studio 6.0 now it doesnt
>> works..

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Are you connecting to the server by name, external IP, internal IP, ...?

Can you show the connection string that doesn't work and the ODBC parameters
that work?

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Scott Ivey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have the same problem. We recently moved our ASP app from Windows 2000

> Windows 2003 Web servers, and when we did this our problems started

popping
> up. When we moved to the new servers, we also changed the connect strings
> from using ODBC DSN's to OLEDB connect strings. To troubleshoot if that

was
> the cause, we copied the modified app back to the 2000 box, complete with
> the new connect strings, and never saw the error happen there. We've

tried
> adding adding "Network Library=dbmssocn" into our connect strings, but

that
> didn't help. We added the SQL server to the hosts & lmhosts.sam files,

and
> did the same on the SQL server (added the web servers to the files) - but
> that didn't help. We used the client network utility to enable both

TCP/IP
> & Named Pipes on the web servers - but that didn't help.
>
> I've seen too many other posts on google to believe that this is an

isolated
> problem. I've also seen posts that made me believe that this has

something
> to do with going from Win2000 to Win2003.
>
> The error is very sporadic. We have 100+ users on the app all day long,

and
> only every once in a while the error happens. If the user hits refresh
> right after the error, the connection work just fine.
>

> Please help!
>
> Scott Ivey

> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What does your connection string look like? Are you connecting to the

SQL
> > Server by its host name? If so, can your server resolve that name? Is
> > there a firewall in between? Is the server's network cable unplugged?
> >
> > Ray at work
> >

> > "Savas Ates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> in asp page
> >> im getting this error how can i solve it..
> >> yesterday the codes work but i setup visual studio 6.0 now it doesnt
> >> works..

Scott Ivey

I've tried the following connect strings...

"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01.revonet.local;Initial
Catalog=RPM;User ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx;Network Library=dbmssocn"
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=revsql01.revonet.local;Initial
Catalog=RPM;User ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx;Network Library=dbmssocn"

I'm currently using string #2 above. The ODBC DSN's were system DSN's, and
used the DB name, username, & password as above.

Using #2, I can connect a thousand times successfully, and have 1 error
somewhere in the middle.

The servers are connected to the same Catalyst 2950 switch, and they all
have hard wired hosts files - so I can't imagine that resolving the other
server is a problem.

Scott

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you connecting to the server by name, external IP, internal IP, ...?
>
> Can you show the connection string that doesn't work and the ODBC
> parameters
> that work?
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "Scott Ivey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have the same problem. We recently moved our ASP app from Windows 2000

>> Windows 2003 Web servers, and when we did this our problems started

> popping
>> up. When we moved to the new servers, we also changed the connect
>> strings
>> from using ODBC DSN's to OLEDB connect strings. To troubleshoot if that

> was
>> the cause, we copied the modified app back to the 2000 box, complete with
>> the new connect strings, and never saw the error happen there. We've

> tried
>> adding adding "Network Library=dbmssocn" into our connect strings, but

> that
>> didn't help. We added the SQL server to the hosts & lmhosts.sam files,

> and
>> did the same on the SQL server (added the web servers to the files) - but
>> that didn't help. We used the client network utility to enable both

> TCP/IP
>> & Named Pipes on the web servers - but that didn't help.
>>
>> I've seen too many other posts on google to believe that this is an

> isolated
>> problem. I've also seen posts that made me believe that this has

> something
>> to do with going from Win2000 to Win2003.
>>
>> The error is very sporadic. We have 100+ users on the app all day long,

> and
>> only every once in a while the error happens. If the user hits refresh
>> right after the error, the connection work just fine.
>>

>> Please help!
>>
>> Scott Ivey
>>

>> "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > What does your connection string look like? Are you connecting to the

> SQL
>> > Server by its host name? If so, can your server resolve that name? Is
>> > there a firewall in between? Is the server's network cable unplugged?
>> >
>> > Ray at work
>> >

>> > "Savas Ates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> The servers are connected to the same Catalyst 2950 switch, and they all
> have hard wired hosts files - so I can't imagine that resolving the other
> server is a problem.

For #2, have you tried using an IP address instead of a server name? DNS
(not DSN), WINS etc. can be flaky occasionally, and I'm sure that could
account for 1 in 1000. It could also be the switch going down briefly, or
some other network glitch.

Scott Ivey

I'm going to try going by IP address tonight. Shouldn't using a hosts file
entry override any DNS issues?

Scott

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The servers are connected to the same Catalyst 2950 switch, and they all
>> have hard wired hosts files - so I can't imagine that resolving the other
>> server is a problem.

> For #2, have you tried using an IP address instead of a server name? DNS
> (not DSN), WINS etc. can be flaky occasionally, and I'm sure that could
> account for 1 in 1000. It could also be the switch going down briefly, or
> some other network glitch.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I know that the web browser uses the hosts fle, but I'm not confident ado
will do the same thing. I'm pretty sure SQL Server, at least, will attempt
to use the client network library before it ever looks at the hosts file.
Did you set up anything in the client network library? Are you planning to
change the IP (in other words, is there some big reservation against
changing the IP instead of continuing to kludge a hosts file)?

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Scott Ivey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm going to try going by IP address tonight. Shouldn't using a hosts

file
> entry override any DNS issues?
>

> Scott
>
> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> The servers are connected to the same Catalyst 2950 switch, and they

all
> >> have hard wired hosts files - so I can't imagine that resolving the

other
> >> server is a problem.

> > For #2, have you tried using an IP address instead of a server name?

DNS
> > (not DSN), WINS etc. can be flaky occasionally, and I'm sure that could
> > account for 1 in 1000. It could also be the switch going down briefly,

or
> > some other network glitch.

Scott Ivey

I have no problem with hardwiring the IP - I don't expect that to change
anytime soon I just added 2 aliases for the server (revsq01 &
revsql01.revonet.local) in the client network utility using TCP/IP and
pointing at the IP address of the server instead of the DNS name. Hopefully
this will fix it

Scott

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uhOx%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know that the web browser uses the hosts fle, but I'm not confident ado
> will do the same thing. I'm pretty sure SQL Server, at least, will
> attempt
> to use the client network library before it ever looks at the hosts file.
> Did you set up anything in the client network library? Are you planning
> change the IP (in other words, is there some big reservation against
> changing the IP instead of continuing to kludge a hosts file)?
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "Scott Ivey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm going to try going by IP address tonight. Shouldn't using a hosts

> file
>> entry override any DNS issues?
>>

>> Scott
>>
>> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> all

> other
>> >
>> > For #2, have you tried using an IP address instead of a server name?

> DNS
>> > (not DSN), WINS etc. can be flaky occasionally, and I'm sure that could
>> > account for 1 in 1000. It could also be the switch going down briefly,

> or
>> > some other network glitch.

Scott Ivey

Well, I added the 2 aliases..

revsql01 - TCP/IP - pointed to the SQL IP address, dynamic port number
revsql01.revonet.local - TCP/IP - pointed to the SQL IP address, dynamic
port number

My connect string is "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data
Source=revsql01.revonet.local;Initial Catalog=RPM;User
ID=rpmuser;Password=xxxxx"

and a half hour later, I'm getting errors. guess that isn't the fix. damn!

I've tried everything I can think of, and still am struggling.