Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > File Input Problem, please help, specific to XP SP2

File Input Problem, please help, specific to XP SP2

Alon Zilkha

Hi All,

I just noticed a problem with Internet Explorer on Service Pack 2 of Windows
XP and it is driving me insane!! I would greatly appreciate it if someone
could help me out...

I have a basic asp file (test.asp) with the following code:

<%
Response.Write(Request.Form("testalon"))
%>

<form name=yo method="post" action="test.asp">
<input type=file name=testalon>
<input type=button value=submit onclick="javascript:yo.submit();">
</form>

When I click on the submit button, I get the following Script Error:
"Access is Denied"

This does not happen with all previous versions of IE!!! (before Windows XP
Service pack 2). Does anyone know how to get around this (perhaps a setting
in IE) ? It will be difficult for me to switch all my code to text inputs
rather than file inputs since they are used so frequently...

Thanks,
Alon

Evertjan.

Alon Zilkha wrote on 29 sep 2004 in

> Hi All,
>
> I just noticed a problem with Internet Explorer on Service Pack 2 of
> Windows XP and it is driving me insane!! I would greatly appreciate it
> if someone could help me out...
>
> I have a basic asp file (test.asp) with the following code:

> <%
> Response.Write(Request.Form("testalon"))
> %>
>
> <form name=yo method="post" action="test.asp">
> <input type=file name=testalon>
> <input type=button value=submit onclick="javascript:yo.submit();">
> </form>
>
> When I click on the submit button, I get the following Script Error:
> "Access is Denied"
>
> This does not happen with all previous versions of IE!!! (before
> Windows XP Service pack 2). Does anyone know how to get around this
> (perhaps a setting in IE) ? It will be difficult for me to switch all
> my code to text inputs rather than file inputs since they are used so
> frequently...

How can you upload a file if you have no serverside code to accept the
file?

The file wil not reside inside Request.Form("testalon")!

XP and it's browser have nothing to do with it, that is all clientside.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Joker

Sounds like you should be posting this question in a JavaScript or
Jscript newsgroup. Since this newsgroup is for server side code not the
client side code that is giving the error.

Alon Zilkha wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just noticed a problem with Internet Explorer on Service Pack 2 of Windows
> XP and it is driving me insane!! I would greatly appreciate it if someone
> could help me out...
>
> I have a basic asp file (test.asp) with the following code:

> <%
> Response.Write(Request.Form("testalon"))
> %>
>
> <form name=yo method="post" action="test.asp">
> <input type=file name=testalon>
> <input type=button value=submit onclick="javascript:yo.submit();">
> </form>
>
> When I click on the submit button, I get the following Script Error:
> "Access is Denied"
>
> This does not happen with all previous versions of IE!!! (before Windows XP
> Service pack 2). Does anyone know how to get around this (perhaps a setting
> in IE) ? It will be difficult for me to switch all my code to text inputs
> rather than file inputs since they are used so frequently...
>
> Thanks,
> Alon

Alon Zilkha

Hi Evertjan,

I'm not trying to upload any file in the code. All I'm trying to do is take
the path of the file from the input... I have verified that this code works
in any internet explorer before Service Pack 2, and it is clientside - so
maybe I should post to a Javascript newsgroup as Joker has already
mentioned....

Thanks for your help,
Alon

> Alon Zilkha wrote on 29 sep 2004 in
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just noticed a problem with Internet Explorer on Service Pack 2 of
>> Windows XP and it is driving me insane!! I would greatly appreciate it
>> if someone could help me out...
>>
>> I have a basic asp file (test.asp) with the following code:

>> <%
>> Response.Write(Request.Form("testalon"))
>> %>
>>
>> <form name=yo method="post" action="test.asp">
>> <input type=file name=testalon>
>> <input type=button value=submit onclick="javascript:yo.submit();">
>> </form>
>>
>> When I click on the submit button, I get the following Script Error:
>> "Access is Denied"
>>
>> This does not happen with all previous versions of IE!!! (before
>> Windows XP Service pack 2). Does anyone know how to get around this
>> (perhaps a setting in IE) ? It will be difficult for me to switch all
>> my code to text inputs rather than file inputs since they are used so
>> frequently...

> How can you upload a file if you have no serverside code to accept the
> file?
>
> The file wil not reside inside Request.Form("testalon")!
>
> XP and it's browser have nothing to do with it, that is all clientside.
>

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.
> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress,
> but let us keep the discussions in the newsgroup)

Joker

I think Evertjan was tired when he posted that. I still think you are
in the wrong newsgroup for this problem since it is when a JavaScript
function is called that you get the error.

Alon Zilkha wrote:

> Hi Evertjan,
>
> I'm not trying to upload any file in the code. All I'm trying to do is take
> the path of the file from the input... I have verified that this code works
> in any internet explorer before Service Pack 2, and it is clientside - so
> maybe I should post to a Javascript newsgroup as Joker has already
> mentioned....
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Alon

Evertjan.

Alon Zilkha wrote on 29 sep 2004 in
> I'm not trying to upload any file in the code.

But that is what type=file is all about

<input type=file name=testalon>

Don't let us continue this OT thread.

btw, Joker:
>I think Evertjan was tired when he posted that.

I am not that tired at
08:42:32 GMT = 10:42 local (24h clock) overhere.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.