Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Slow Intranet performance apparently due to CAB file

Slow Intranet performance apparently due to CAB file

NEtsdpace news

I've developed an Intranet app that among other things creates form letters
using a VB dll, via a cab file, to access Word functions. It works perfectly
and performs well when asked to create the Word documents.

However my problem is that it takes >30 seconds for the initial page to
display. If I comment out the "<OBJECT>" definition and as a consequence
all lines/function referencing that object, the page displays <3 seconds.
The object is defined as:
<OBJECT ID="docobject" CLASSID="CLSID:9735B64A-792C-8167-5912-18A4B729BBA36"
CODEBASE="DOCCAB.CAB#version=-1,-1,-1,-1" HEIGHT="0" WIDTH="0"></OBJECT>

All machines inc IIS are XP Pro, unfortunately, they are also SP2. I believe
the security settings are fine as it allows the download of the cab file
without pop up and the execution of the dll. The site is set up globally as
a trusted site. Should I move to Intranet site?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Craig

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

"NEtsdpace news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cjaeet$13kt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've developed an Intranet app that among other things creates form
> letters
> using a VB dll, via a cab file, to access Word functions. It works
> perfectly
> and performs well when asked to create the Word documents.
>
> However my problem is that it takes >30 seconds for the initial page to
> display. If I comment out the "<OBJECT>" definition and as a consequence
> all lines/function referencing that object, the page displays <3 seconds.
> The object is defined as:
> <OBJECT ID="docobject"
> CLASSID="CLSID:9735B64A-792C-8167-5912-18A4B729BBA36"
> CODEBASE="DOCCAB.CAB#version=-1,-1,-1,-1" HEIGHT="0" WIDTH="0"></OBJECT>
>
> All machines inc IIS are XP Pro, unfortunately, they are also SP2. I
> believe
> the security settings are fine as it allows the download of the cab file
> without pop up and the execution of the dll. The site is set up globally
> as
> a trusted site. Should I move to Intranet site?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

FWIW, this has nothing to do with ASP.

Once the client has obtained the CAB it should not need to download again.
What's with "#version=-1,-1,-1,-1"? That's what the client uses to
determine if it needs to download the object, and they're not usually
negative one's ...

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/

NEtsdpace news

"Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
news:cjbltl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "NEtsdpace news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cjaeet$13kt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've developed an Intranet app that among other things creates form
> > letters
> > using a VB dll, via a cab file, to access Word functions. It works
> > perfectly
> > and performs well when asked to create the Word documents.
> >
> > However my problem is that it takes >30 seconds for the initial page to
> > display. If I comment out the "<OBJECT>" definition and as a

consequence
> > all lines/function referencing that object, the page displays <3

seconds.
> > The object is defined as:
> > <OBJECT ID="docobject"
> > CLASSID="CLSID:9735B64A-792C-8167-5912-18A4B729BBA36"
> > CODEBASE="DOCCAB.CAB#version=-1,-1,-1,-1" HEIGHT="0" WIDTH="0"></OBJECT>
> >
> > All machines inc IIS are XP Pro, unfortunately, they are also SP2. I
> > believe
> > the security settings are fine as it allows the download of the cab file
> > without pop up and the execution of the dll. The site is set up

globally
> > as
> > a trusted site. Should I move to Intranet site?
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.

> FWIW, this has nothing to do with ASP.
>
> Once the client has obtained the CAB it should not need to download again.
> What's with "#version=-1,-1,-1,-1"? That's what the client uses to
> determine if it needs to download the object, and they're not usually
> negative one's ...
>
> --
> Tom Kaminski IIS MVP

I don't believe my problem is an ASP issue. The app is in ASP (obviously)
and I am just trying to eliminate coding as the issue. ie I am trying to
find if anyone thinks my code is incorrect. I dont think it is. If you
think it is please let me know where and why.
The "#version=-1,-1,-1,-1" means that the browsers compares the release
dates on the CAB files to determine whether to download and/or update the
local version of the CAB.
Quote from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...s/codebase.asp

"the component is downloaded from the server if the release date is later
than the installation date on the client computer. If the component is
installed on the client computer and the release date is the same or earlier
than the installation date, only an HTTP header transaction occurs."
OK maybe I should try an HTML/DHTML/XML group.