Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Sending email problem with Windows 2000 professional

Sending email problem with Windows 2000 professional

Alex

I wrote an asp program to send email. I set SMTP as 127.0.0.1 and it worked
well in Windows 2000 server but not in Windows 2000 Professional. What is
different between server and professional. My code is below:

Set iMsg = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
Set iConf = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
Set Flds = iConf.Fields
Flds("cdoSendUsingMethod") = cdoSendUsingPort
Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = "127.0.0.1"
Flds("cdoSMTPServerPort") = 25
Flds("cdoSMTPAuthenticate") = cdoAnonymous ' 0
Flds.Update
With iMsg
Set .Configuration = iConf
.To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.CC = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.Subject = "Testing"
.TextBody = "Testing"
.Send
End With
Set iMsg=Nothing
Set iConf=Nothing
Set Flds=Nothing

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address of the local machine, meaning you're
saying Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = [This computer that is running this script.]

Do you have SMTP installed on this machine?
In what way does this "not work" for you? Do you get an error of some sort?
Is this machine authorized to relay mail in your network?

Ray at work

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wrote an asp program to send email. I set SMTP as 127.0.0.1 and it worked
> well in Windows 2000 server but not in Windows 2000 Professional. What is
> different between server and professional. My code is below:
>
> Set iMsg = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
> Set iConf = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
> Set Flds = iConf.Fields
> Flds("cdoSendUsingMethod") = cdoSendUsingPort
> Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = "127.0.0.1"
> Flds("cdoSMTPServerPort") = 25
> Flds("cdoSMTPAuthenticate") = cdoAnonymous ' 0
> Flds.Update
> With iMsg
> Set .Configuration = iConf
> .To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> .CC = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> .From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> .Subject = "Testing"
> .TextBody = "Testing"
> .Send
> End With
> Set iMsg=Nothing
> Set iConf=Nothing
> Set Flds=Nothing

Alex

I installed IIS 5.0 and SMTP service. I could get the email when I ran this
asp in server and but I couldn't get it when I ran it in professional.
Actually I didn't get any errors and I don't know if it is authorized to
relay emails. But I could get emails if I ran asp.net program to send email
out.

Alex

"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

> 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address of the local machine, meaning you're
> saying Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = [This computer that is running this script.]
>
> Do you have SMTP installed on this machine?
> In what way does this "not work" for you? Do you get an error of some sort?
> Is this machine authorized to relay mail in your network?
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I wrote an asp program to send email. I set SMTP as 127.0.0.1 and it worked
> > well in Windows 2000 server but not in Windows 2000 Professional. What is
> > different between server and professional. My code is below:
> >
> > Set iMsg = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
> > Set iConf = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
> > Set Flds = iConf.Fields
> > Flds("cdoSendUsingMethod") = cdoSendUsingPort
> > Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = "127.0.0.1"
> > Flds("cdoSMTPServerPort") = 25
> > Flds("cdoSMTPAuthenticate") = cdoAnonymous ' 0
> > Flds.Update
> > With iMsg
> > Set .Configuration = iConf
> > .To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > .CC = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > .From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > .Subject = "Testing"
> > .TextBody = "Testing"
> > .Send
> > End With
> > Set iMsg=Nothing
> > Set iConf=Nothing
> > Set Flds=Nothing

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Is the e-mail still sitting in \inetpub\mailroot\queue? Take a look in the
application event log to see if relaying was denied. Did you setup a
smarthost or anything in your SMTP settings? If so, make sure the target
server allows relaying from your machine's IP.

Ray at work

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed IIS 5.0 and SMTP service. I could get the email when I ran
>this
> asp in server and but I couldn't get it when I ran it in professional.
> Actually I didn't get any errors and I don't know if it is authorized to
> relay emails. But I could get emails if I ran asp.net program to send
> email
> out.
>
> Alex
>

> "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address of the local machine, meaning you're
>> saying Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = [This computer that is running this
>> script.]
>>
>> Do you have SMTP installed on this machine?
>> In what way does this "not work" for you? Do you get an error of some
>> sort?
>> Is this machine authorized to relay mail in your network?
>>
>> Ray at work
>>
>> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I wrote an asp program to send email. I set SMTP as 127.0.0.1 and it
>> >worked
>> > well in Windows 2000 server but not in Windows 2000 Professional. What
>> > is
>> > different between server and professional. My code is below:
>> >
>> > Set iMsg = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
>> > Set iConf = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
>> > Set Flds = iConf.Fields
>> > Flds("cdoSendUsingMethod") = cdoSendUsingPort
>> > Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = "127.0.0.1"
>> > Flds("cdoSMTPServerPort") = 25
>> > Flds("cdoSMTPAuthenticate") = cdoAnonymous ' 0
>> > Flds.Update
>> > With iMsg
>> > Set .Configuration = iConf
>> > .To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>> > .CC = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>> > .From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>> > .Subject = "Testing"
>> > .TextBody = "Testing"
>> > .Send
>> > End With
>> > Set iMsg=Nothing
>> > Set iConf=Nothing
>> > Set Flds=Nothing

Alex

I didn't see any deny message in the appliaction log and i didn't setup
smarhost or other in my SMTP. I don't know why the target email server
disallow relaying from my computer. But it is different that my windows 2000
server has public IP but professional doesnt have.

Alex

"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

> Is the e-mail still sitting in \inetpub\mailroot\queue? Take a look in the
> application event log to see if relaying was denied. Did you setup a
> smarthost or anything in your SMTP settings? If so, make sure the target
> server allows relaying from your machine's IP.
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I installed IIS 5.0 and SMTP service. I could get the email when I ran
> >this
> > asp in server and but I couldn't get it when I ran it in professional.
> > Actually I didn't get any errors and I don't know if it is authorized to
> > relay emails. But I could get emails if I ran asp.net program to send
> > email
> > out.
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address of the local machine, meaning you're
> >> saying Flds("cdoSMTPServer") = [This computer that is running this
> >> script.]
> >>
> >> Do you have SMTP installed on this machine?
> >> In what way does this "not work" for you? Do you get an error of some
> >> sort?
> >> Is this machine authorized to relay mail in your network?
> >>
> >> Ray at work
> >>
> >> "Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Well, when you an admin who is at least not totally incompetent, he will not
allow relaying from any IP but those he explicitly specifies. So, chances
are the e-mail is being denied by your Internet-outbound SMTP server. Ask
your admin if SMTP relaying is permitted by your inhouse SMTP server -
perhaps your Exchange server.

Ray at home