Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How do you compare local and remote versions of a file?

How do you compare local and remote versions of a file?

aualias

Hi,

Using ASP.NET, how can I compare my local version of a file to a version on
the server?

Another developer made changes to the file that I am working on and I do not
want to lose (well, I sort of do...) his changes.

Thanks.

AU

Karl Bauer

You can use Visual Source Safe as a possible solution.

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:09:50 -0400, "aualias"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Using ASP.NET, how can I compare my local version of a file to a version on
>the server?
>
>Another developer made changes to the file that I am working on and I do not
>want to lose (well, I sort of do...) his changes.
>
>Thanks.
>
>AU

aualias

Karl,

We (they) are not using Source Safe. I have it locally on my computer for
other development, so I would be able to use the diff tool (or another
diff), but how can I get the remote version of the file without overwriting
my local copy?

I know that I can backup locally, but there must be an easier method.

Thanks.

Alfredo

"Karl Bauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can use Visual Source Safe as a possible solution.
>

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:09:50 -0400, "aualias"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Using ASP.NET, how can I compare my local version of a file to a version

on
> >the server?
> >
> >Another developer made changes to the file that I am working on and I do

not
> >want to lose (well, I sort of do...) his changes.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >AU

aualias

Thanks Steven,

Unfortunately, using source control is not possible with the people I am
working with. I have strongly suggested it, but they think it is too much
trouble. I guess I will just have to back up my local file, refresh from
the server, and do a diff between the two (in theory, nobody else should
have been working on these files...).

Thanks for your help.

Alfredo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Alfredo,
>
> As for how to diff the files on different machine(local and remote side),
> generally, if we're implementing source file management in development,
> it's better to make use of some certain source control tools such as VSS ,
> CVS....
> That's the formal and safe means. Here are some resources on source

control

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...hWebProjectsSo

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ceCodeControlS