Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > upload file into database in asp

upload file into database in asp

weiwei

Hi All
I want to upload either image or word document into either access or
SQL server database
so far I am doing some small testings and what I can do is upload the
file from first page and display at the next
page with (both image or word are working fine).
however, I cann't insert them into the database, Plus, what type
should I use in access database?
anyone who has this type of project, please help me out
below is my current test code
<%
FormSize = Request.TotalBytes
FormData = Request.BinaryRead( FormSize )
'bnCRLF = chrB( 13 ) & chrB( 10 )
'Divider = LEFTB( FormData, INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF ) - 1 )
'DataStart = INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF & bnCRLF ) + 4
'DataEnd = INSTRB( DataStart + 1, FormData, divider ) - DataStart
'Response.ContentType = "image/gif"
'Response.ContentType = "application/msword"
'Response.BinaryWrite MIDB( FormData, DataStart, DataEnd )
'Response.BinaryWrite FormData
%>
<!--Create and Open the Databse Connection-->
<% Set connCW = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") %>
<% connCW.Open ="Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; " &_
"DBQ=" & Server.Mappath("track.mdb") %>
<%
sql = "INSERT INTO upload (FileName) VALUES('" & FormData & "')"
Set rs = connCW.Execute(sql)
%>

I got error saying type mismatch

thanks in advance
wei

Roland Hall

"weiwei" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: Hi All
: I want to upload either image or word document into either access or
: SQL server database
: so far I am doing some small testings and what I can do is upload the
: file from first page and display at the next
: page with (both image or word are working fine).
: however, I cann't insert them into the database, Plus, what type
: should I use in access database?
: anyone who has this type of project, please help me out
: below is my current test code
: <%
: FormSize = Request.TotalBytes
: FormData = Request.BinaryRead( FormSize )
: 'bnCRLF = chrB( 13 ) & chrB( 10 )
: 'Divider = LEFTB( FormData, INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF ) - 1 )
: 'DataStart = INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF & bnCRLF ) + 4
: 'DataEnd = INSTRB( DataStart + 1, FormData, divider ) - DataStart
: 'Response.ContentType = "image/gif"
: 'Response.ContentType = "application/msword"
: 'Response.BinaryWrite MIDB( FormData, DataStart, DataEnd )
: 'Response.BinaryWrite FormData
: %>
: <!--Create and Open the Databse Connection-->
: <% Set connCW = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") %>
: <% connCW.Open ="Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; " &_
: "DBQ=" & Server.Mappath("track.mdb") %>
: <%
: sql = "INSERT INTO upload (FileName) VALUES('" & FormData & "')"
: Set rs = connCW.Execute(sql)
: %>
:
: I got error saying type mismatch

My upload routines upload the file to the server, I move it to a specific
location and I store the path and filename in the database. I don't see a
need to store files in databases.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

John

Roland,

Do you have a code sample of how you run the doc file download/edit/upload?
Or is there a link to sample code at MS or elsewhere that you can pass on?
Or even a general description of the process -- e.g. ... use
Response.BinaryWrite for ...

I'm obviously a bit of a beginner at this. I've been looking about the net
for awhile, likely in the wrong places, and haven't been able to find a good
model.

Appreciatively,

John

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "weiwei" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> : Hi All
> : I want to upload either image or word document into either access or
> : SQL server database
> : so far I am doing some small testings and what I can do is upload the
> : file from first page and display at the next
> : page with (both image or word are working fine).
> : however, I cann't insert them into the database, Plus, what type
> : should I use in access database?
> : anyone who has this type of project, please help me out
> : below is my current test code
> : <%
> : FormSize = Request.TotalBytes
> : FormData = Request.BinaryRead( FormSize )
> : 'bnCRLF = chrB( 13 ) & chrB( 10 )
> : 'Divider = LEFTB( FormData, INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF ) - 1 )
> : 'DataStart = INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF & bnCRLF ) + 4
> : 'DataEnd = INSTRB( DataStart + 1, FormData, divider ) - DataStart
> : 'Response.ContentType = "image/gif"
> : 'Response.ContentType = "application/msword"
> : 'Response.BinaryWrite MIDB( FormData, DataStart, DataEnd )
> : 'Response.BinaryWrite FormData
> : %>
> : <!--Create and Open the Databse Connection-->
> : <% Set connCW = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") %>
> : <% connCW.Open ="Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; " &_
> : "DBQ=" & Server.Mappath("track.mdb") %>
> : <%
> : sql = "INSERT INTO upload (FileName) VALUES('" & FormData & "')"
> : Set rs = connCW.Execute(sql)
> : %>
> :
> : I got error saying type mismatch
>
> My upload routines upload the file to the server, I move it to a specific
> location and I store the path and filename in the database. I don't see a
> need to store files in databases.
>
> --
> Roland Hall
> WSH 5.6 Documentation -

joker

You may want to check out the following addresses.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2149
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2189

weiwei wrote:

> Hi All
> I want to upload either image or word document into either access or
> SQL server database
> so far I am doing some small testings and what I can do is upload the
> file from first page and display at the next
> page with (both image or word are working fine).
> however, I cann't insert them into the database, Plus, what type
> should I use in access database?
> anyone who has this type of project, please help me out
> below is my current test code
> <%
> FormSize = Request.TotalBytes
> FormData = Request.BinaryRead( FormSize )
> 'bnCRLF = chrB( 13 ) & chrB( 10 )
> 'Divider = LEFTB( FormData, INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF ) - 1 )
> 'DataStart = INSTRB( FormData, bnCRLF & bnCRLF ) + 4
> 'DataEnd = INSTRB( DataStart + 1, FormData, divider ) - DataStart
> 'Response.ContentType = "image/gif"
> 'Response.ContentType = "application/msword"
> 'Response.BinaryWrite MIDB( FormData, DataStart, DataEnd )
> 'Response.BinaryWrite FormData
> %>
> <!--Create and Open the Databse Connection-->
> <% Set connCW = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") %>
> <% connCW.Open ="Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; " &_
> "DBQ=" & Server.Mappath("track.mdb") %>
> <%
> sql = "INSERT INTO upload (FileName) VALUES('" & FormData & "')"
> Set rs = connCW.Execute(sql)
> %>
>
> I got error saying type mismatch
>
> thanks in advance
> wei

Roland Hall

"John" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Roland,
:
: Do you have a code sample of how you run the doc file
download/edit/upload?
: Or is there a link to sample code at MS or elsewhere that you can pass on?
: Or even a general description of the process -- e.g. ... use
: Response.BinaryWrite for ...
:
: I'm obviously a bit of a beginner at this. I've been looking about the net
: for awhile, likely in the wrong places, and haven't been able to find a
good
: model.

Hi John...

I use ASPUpload but you can use a pure ASP solution without a component.
The third link Joker listed should provide the information you're looking
for.