Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP page can't post to IIS 5.0 Server

ASP page can't post to IIS 5.0 Server

Hunter Pieper

Hello,

We are trying to get an .asp page to post to an access
database. the page is viewable, and the form boxes can be
filled in. Upon submission of the data a confirmation
page is then to show.

What happens is the data is inserted into the page, but
upon submission an HTTP 500 Internal server error appears.

if we uncheck show friendly http errors in IE there is
still no more info to go on.

My question is then, where to begin?

I suspect perhaps a security setting, but which?

How to get more error info?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Regards

Hunter

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

After unchecking friendly errors, what exactly do you see in your browser?
If you're truly seeing nothing of use, go into the IIS management console,
pull up the properties of your site or application, go to the Home Directory
tab, click the Configuration button under "Application Settings," go to the
App Debugging tab, and verify that "Send detailed ASP error messages to
client" radio button is selected.

Ray at work

"Hunter Pieper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:306d01c48ed5$60890ff0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to get an .asp page to post to an access
> database. the page is viewable, and the form boxes can be
> filled in. Upon submission of the data a confirmation
> page is then to show.
>
> What happens is the data is inserted into the page, but
> upon submission an HTTP 500 Internal server error appears.
>
> if we uncheck show friendly http errors in IE there is
> still no more info to go on.
>
> My question is then, where to begin?
>
> I suspect perhaps a security setting, but which?
>
> How to get more error info?
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Hunter

Hunter Pieper

It only says:

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

Which really narrows it down.

Regards

Hunter

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Your 500 error turns into a 404 after unchecking friendly errors? Are
you sure you have the URL right? What about a static .htm page in the same
directory? Create test.htm and test.asp in the same directory, with these
contents:

test.htm:

test.asp:

Can you load either page?

Ray at work

"Hunter Pieper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2fc101c48edd$a31b04b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It only says:
>
> HTTP 404 - File not found
> Internet Information Services
>
> Which really narrows it down.
>
> Regards
>
> Hunter

Jeff Cochran

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:06:44 -0700, "Hunter Pieper"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It only says:
>
>HTTP 404 - File not found
>Internet Information Services
>
>Which really narrows it down.

It actually does. Since you had a 500 error and now it's a 404, then
the probl;em is now different. Check and see if the file is actually
there to be found by the account accessing it.

Then, when you get that fixed, repost the full error for the 500
error.

Jeff

Hunter Pieper

I figured it out.

I had the URLScan asapi filter running. I had removed it
earlier in the day, but I had forgotten to restart the IIS
server.

It took a while for my brains to start working; so it was
later in the day when I finally remembered, to recheck the
URLScan log. At which time I noticed it was denying
access, and that a restart was necessary to get the
desired effect.

Damn.

Thanks for the help though, and sorry for the trouble.

Hunter