Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Select Case Syntax Error

Reply
Thread Tools

Select Case Syntax Error

 
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
Hi, I am getting a syntax error
Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03ea'

Syntax error

On the code below. The error references the "End Select" line

Can anyone help me with what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

-========================================

<%
SELECT CASE iChoice

Dim iChoice

iChoice = varVendor

Select Case iChoice
Case "McGraw Hill"
Response.Write "<!--#include
virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"
Case "Alexander"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbAlex.asp'-->"
Case "Classical"
Response.Write "<!--#include
virtual='/western/services/owdbClassical.asp'-->"
Case "CQPress"
Response.Write "<!--#include
virtual='/western/services/owdbCQPress.asp'-->"
Case "FactsOnFile"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbFOF.asp'-->"
Case "Greenwood"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbGreen.asp'-->"
Case "Grove"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbGrove.asp'-->"
Case "Lexis-Nexis"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbLexis.asp'-->"
Case "Morningstar"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbMStar.asp'-->"
Case "Oxford Press"
Response.Write "<!--#include
virtual='/western/services/owdbOxford.asp'-->"
Case "Vanderbilt"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbVandy.asp'-->"
Case "Westlaw"
Response.Write "<!--#include
virtual='/western/services/owdbWestlaw.asp'-->"
Case "Wiley"
Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbWiley.asp'-->"
Case Else
Response.Write "<h3>Please select a vendor. <br> <input type=button
value=Back onClick='history.back(1);'></h3>"

END SELECT

%>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
> Case "McGraw Hill"
> Response.Write "<!--#include
> virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"


You can't do this. Look at server.execute or see http://www.aspfaq.com/2042

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steven Burn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
Any reason you've got "Select Case iChoice" in there twice?

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!


"Kevin" <thersitz @yahoo com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I am getting a syntax error
> Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03ea'
>
> Syntax error
>
> On the code below. The error references the "End Select" line
>
> Can anyone help me with what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> -========================================
>
> <%
> SELECT CASE iChoice
>
> Dim iChoice
>
> iChoice = varVendor
>
> Select Case iChoice
> Case "McGraw Hill"
> Response.Write "<!--#include
> virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"
> Case "Alexander"
> Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbAlex.asp'-->"
> Case "Classical"
> Response.Write "<!--#include
> virtual='/western/services/owdbClassical.asp'-->"
> Case "CQPress"
> Response.Write "<!--#include
> virtual='/western/services/owdbCQPress.asp'-->"
> Case "FactsOnFile"
> Response.Write "<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbFOF.asp'-->"
> Case "Greenwood"
> Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbGreen.asp'-->"
> Case "Grove"
> Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbGrove.asp'-->"
> Case "Lexis-Nexis"
> Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbLexis.asp'-->"
> Case "Morningstar"
> Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbMStar.asp'-->"
> Case "Oxford Press"
> Response.Write "<!--#include
> virtual='/western/services/owdbOxford.asp'-->"
> Case "Vanderbilt"
> Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbVandy.asp'-->"
> Case "Westlaw"
> Response.Write "<!--#include
> virtual='/western/services/owdbWestlaw.asp'-->"
> Case "Wiley"
> Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbWiley.asp'-->"
> Case Else
> Response.Write "<h3>Please select a vendor. <br> <input type=button
> value=Back onClick='history.back(1);'></h3>"
>
> END SELECT
>
> %>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
Thanks Aaron. My original working code was:

<%
If varVendor = "McGraw Hill" Then
%>
<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp"-->
<%
ElseIf varVendor = "Classical" Then
%>
<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbClassical.asp"-->
<%
ElseIf varVendor = "Lexis-Nexis" Then
%>
<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbLexis.asp"-->
<%
ElseIf varVendor = "Oxford Press" Then
%>
<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbOxford.asp"-->

and on and on -- etc.

But my string of If Then ElsIf statements is up to 15 and so I was trying to
do the select case to reduce the statements. Guess I am back to the If Then
....ElseIf

I am sure I read that faq way back when and that is how I came to my
original If Then syntax.

Thanks


"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Case "McGraw Hill"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"

>
> You can't do this. Look at server.execute or see

http://www.aspfaq.com/2042
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
Thanks Curt. I made the correction and now it executes, but the result is
what Aaron was alluding to. So I guess I am returning to the If ... Then ...
Else code.


"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> you have Select Case twice
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>
>
> "Kevin" <thersitz @yahoo com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I am getting a syntax error
> > Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03ea'
> >
> > Syntax error
> >
> > On the code below. The error references the "End Select" line
> >
> > Can anyone help me with what I am doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -========================================
> >
> > <%
> > SELECT CASE iChoice
> >
> > Dim iChoice
> >
> > iChoice = varVendor
> >
> > Select Case iChoice
> > Case "McGraw Hill"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"
> > Case "Alexander"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbAlex.asp'-->"
> > Case "Classical"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbClassical.asp'-->"
> > Case "CQPress"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbCQPress.asp'-->"
> > Case "FactsOnFile"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbFOF.asp'-->"
> > Case "Greenwood"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbGreen.asp'-->"
> > Case "Grove"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbGrove.asp'-->"
> > Case "Lexis-Nexis"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbLexis.asp'-->"
> > Case "Morningstar"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbMStar.asp'-->"
> > Case "Oxford Press"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbOxford.asp'-->"
> > Case "Vanderbilt"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbVandy.asp'-->"
> > Case "Westlaw"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbWestlaw.asp'-->"
> > Case "Wiley"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbWiley.asp'-->"
> > Case Else
> > Response.Write "<h3>Please select a vendor. <br> <input type=button
> > value=Back onClick='history.back(1);'></h3>"
> >
> > END SELECT
> >
> > %>
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
yeah, operator error. Curt busted me on that as well. Still a little fuzzy
on Select Case. Thanks for your time.

Kevin

"Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any reason you've got "Select Case iChoice" in there twice?
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>
>
> "Kevin" <thersitz @yahoo com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I am getting a syntax error
> > Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03ea'
> >
> > Syntax error
> >
> > On the code below. The error references the "End Select" line
> >
> > Can anyone help me with what I am doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -========================================
> >
> > <%
> > SELECT CASE iChoice
> >
> > Dim iChoice
> >
> > iChoice = varVendor
> >
> > Select Case iChoice
> > Case "McGraw Hill"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"
> > Case "Alexander"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

> virtual='/western/services/owdbAlex.asp'-->"
> > Case "Classical"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbClassical.asp'-->"
> > Case "CQPress"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbCQPress.asp'-->"
> > Case "FactsOnFile"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

virtual='/western/services/owdbFOF.asp'-->"
> > Case "Greenwood"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

> virtual='/western/services/owdbGreen.asp'-->"
> > Case "Grove"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

> virtual='/western/services/owdbGrove.asp'-->"
> > Case "Lexis-Nexis"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

> virtual='/western/services/owdbLexis.asp'-->"
> > Case "Morningstar"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

> virtual='/western/services/owdbMStar.asp'-->"
> > Case "Oxford Press"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbOxford.asp'-->"
> > Case "Vanderbilt"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

> virtual='/western/services/owdbVandy.asp'-->"
> > Case "Westlaw"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > virtual='/western/services/owdbWestlaw.asp'-->"
> > Case "Wiley"
> > Response.Write "<!--#include

> virtual='/western/services/owdbWiley.asp'-->"
> > Case Else
> > Response.Write "<h3>Please select a vendor. <br> <input type=button
> > value=Back onClick='history.back(1);'></h3>"
> >
> > END SELECT
> >
> > %>
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
Well, you could do this, but it is tedious and unmanageable, IMHO:

<%
SELECT CASE varVendor
CASE "McGraw Hill"
%>
<!--#include virtual=/western/services/owdbMcgraw.asp-->
<%
CASE "Classical"
%>
<!--#include virtual=/western/services/owdbClassical.asp-->
<%
...

Or better still, create an array or dictionary object that allows you to
match "McGraw-Hill" -> "owdbMcgraw.asp", then you could say this instead of
having 15 conditionals:

Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
d.Add "McGraw Hill", "owdbMcgraw.asp"
d.Add "Classical", "osdbClassical.asp"
' ... add others here or populate from DB ...
Server.Execute d.item(varVendor)

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)




"Kevin" <thersitz @yahoo com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Aaron. My original working code was:
>
> <%
> If varVendor = "McGraw Hill" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp"-->
> <%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Classical" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbClassical.asp"-->
> <%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Lexis-Nexis" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbLexis.asp"-->
> <%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Oxford Press" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbOxford.asp"-->
>
> and on and on -- etc.
>
> But my string of If Then ElsIf statements is up to 15 and so I was trying

to
> do the select case to reduce the statements. Guess I am back to the If

Then
> ...ElseIf
>
> I am sure I read that faq way back when and that is how I came to my
> original If Then syntax.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Case "McGraw Hill"
> > > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > > virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"

> >
> > You can't do this. Look at server.execute or see

> http://www.aspfaq.com/2042
> >
> > --
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> > (Reverse address to reply.)
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Lehmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2004
The difference is the context switching in you If...ElseIf....

It's still icky, but you could do the same thing with Select Case...
<%
Select Case iChoice
Case "McGraw Hill"
%>
<!--#include virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->
<%
Case "Classical"
%>
<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbClassical.asp"-->
<%
End Select
%>

Bob Lehmann

"Kevin" <thersitz @yahoo com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Aaron. My original working code was:
>
> <%
> If varVendor = "McGraw Hill" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp"-->
> <%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Classical" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbClassical.asp"-->
> <%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Lexis-Nexis" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbLexis.asp"-->
> <%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Oxford Press" Then
> %>
> <!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbOxford.asp"-->
>
> and on and on -- etc.
>
> But my string of If Then ElsIf statements is up to 15 and so I was trying

to
> do the select case to reduce the statements. Guess I am back to the If

Then
> ...ElseIf
>
> I am sure I read that faq way back when and that is how I came to my
> original If Then syntax.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Case "McGraw Hill"
> > > Response.Write "<!--#include
> > > virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"

> >
> > You can't do this. Look at server.execute or see

> http://www.aspfaq.com/2042
> >
> > --
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> > (Reverse address to reply.)
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Harag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2004
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:22:48 -0700, "Kevin" <thersitz @yahoo com>
wrote:

>Thanks Aaron. My original working code was:
>
><%
> If varVendor = "McGraw Hill" Then
>%>
><!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp"-->
><%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Classical" Then
>%>
><!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbClassical.asp"-->
><%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Lexis-Nexis" Then
>%>
><!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbLexis.asp"-->
><%
> ElseIf varVendor = "Oxford Press" Then
>%>
><!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbOxford.asp"-->
>
>and on and on -- etc.



Why not make it even easier to read & maintain. Put all the code in
your includes into several functions/Subs, eg:

<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp"-->
would contain

function DisplayMcGraw()
.....
end function

<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbClassical.asp"-->
contains:
function DisplayClassical()
.....
end function


or
<!--#include virtual="/western/services/owdbALL.asp"-->
would contain all the functions required in the owdb services.

Then include the file(s) at the very top of the page then in your
select case as:

SELECT CASE varVendor
CASE "McGraw Hill"
DisplayMcGraw()
CASE "Classical"
DisplayClasical()
....
.....
END SELECT


IMHO it looks more understanding and more maintainable. and your not
constantly swiching between asp & html code with <%.. %>


HTH

Al.

>
>But my string of If Then ElsIf statements is up to 15 and so I was trying to
>do the select case to reduce the statements. Guess I am back to the If Then
>...ElseIf
>
>I am sure I read that faq way back when and that is how I came to my
>original If Then syntax.
>
>Thanks
>
>
>"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Case "McGraw Hill"
>> > Response.Write "<!--#include
>> > virtual='/western/services/owdbMcGraw.asp'-->"

>>
>> You can't do this. Look at server.execute or see

>http://www.aspfaq.com/2042
>>
>> --
>> http://www.aspfaq.com/
>> (Reverse address to reply.)
>>
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dim inside Select case executes in any case? aa ASP General 14 04-24-2007 06:24 AM
What's wrong with this Select Case Syntax? Penny ASP General 8 05-13-2005 08:38 PM
"Case 1 To 5" in Select case, giving Error!!. Why? Lakshmi Narayanan.R ASP General 10 03-04-2005 01:13 AM
how to case select with case-insensitive string ? Tee ASP .Net 3 06-23-2004 07:40 PM
select of select box will select multiple in another box palmiere Javascript 1 02-09-2004 01:11 PM



Advertisments