Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: Streaming Audio Problem

Re: Streaming Audio Problem

Irmen de Jong

foneguy65 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When I try to listen to radio via the internet I get a 'mms is not a
> registered protocol' error message.
> The station I want to listen to is served by streamaudio.com. Is there
> any way I can successfully do this via mozilla?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Dave
>
> PS: My OS is Linux (Mandrake 9.1).

AFAIK, mms is a Microsoft proprietary protocol. As such, you can
probably only play it using Media Player (YUCK!) on Windows...

--Irmen

Sensei

Irmen de Jong wrote:
> AFAIK, mms is a Microsoft proprietary protocol. As such, you can
> probably only play it using Media Player (YUCK!) on Windows...

No, just use xine. Xine can handle this protocol (I actually listen to
online radios even with webcam streaming data). An example:

$ xine mms://192.106.107.143/radiorock
--
Sensei <(E-Mail Removed)> <icq:241572242>

But still I fear, and still I dare not
Laugh at the mad man (The Prophet's song)