Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Firefox reload page

Firefox reload page

Dave Blair

Hi,

Hi,
In firefox I can't get a page (which queries an SQL database and shows
all the available records) to re-fresh with new updated data after a
'javascript:history.go(-4)' is used to return to the page after a new
record is added.

I have the following code in the page which displays the records:

<%
Response.Buffer = True
Response.ExpiresAbsolute = Now() - 1
Response.Expires = 0
Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
%>

This should make it completly refresh the page rather than load it
from the IIS server cache.

Also I added:

Which should mean that it's not reloading from any local browser
cache.

Anyone any ideas as to how to force a complete reload.
I should mention that the page is in a frame, and that doing
'right-click'->'This frame'->'Reload Frame' works as it should and
refreshes the data properly.

thanks for any help,
Dave

Dave Anderson

Dave Blair wrote:
> In firefox I can't get a page (which queries an SQL database and shows
> all the available records) to re-fresh with new updated data after a
> 'javascript:history.go(-4)' is used to return to the page after a new
> record is added...

Isn't that the correct behavior? Cache control is for subsequent *requests*.
You are not sending one.

"History mechanisms and caches are different. In particular history
mechanisms SHOULD NOT try to show a semantically transparent view
of the current state of a resource. Rather, a history mechanism is
meant to show exactly what the user saw at the time when the
resource was retrieved."
(http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/....html#sec13.13)

> Anyone any ideas as to how to force a complete reload.

Yes. Stop (ab)using history. Force the browser to send a request. Any of
these are options:

Response.Redirect(...)
window.location.replace(...)
window.location = "..."