Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Server.MapPath - Parent Paths Disabled - Windows 2003 IIS 6 - WorkAround

Server.MapPath - Parent Paths Disabled - Windows 2003 IIS 6 - WorkAround

Lovely Angel

Dear Friends
Hope you doing great.

I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
problem

Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
Disallowed Path Characters
/backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
MapPath method.

Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.

Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
be appreciated.

Love
Lovely

Steven Burn

I don't see any reason for their not being able to enable it as my host
upgraded to WS2003 w/IIS6 when it was released and I've had no problems with
paths so far. Might want to get onto them about the reasons for it being
disabled ;o)

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"Lovely Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Friends
> Hope you doing great.
>
> I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
> 6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
> problem
>
> Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
> Disallowed Path Characters
> /backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
> The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
> MapPath method.
>
> Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
> Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
> More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.
>
> Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
> work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
> be appreciated.
>
> Love
> Lovely

Carol Carrot

That is exactly not the answer to either of his questions.
Why not just answer the questions or step aside?

"Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't see any reason for their not being able to enable it as my host
> upgraded to WS2003 w/IIS6 when it was released and I've had no problems

with
> paths so far. Might want to get onto them about the reasons for it being
> disabled ;o)
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>

> "Lovely Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear Friends
> > Hope you doing great.
> >
> > I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
> > 6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
> > problem
> >
> > Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
> > Disallowed Path Characters
> > /backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
> > The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
> > MapPath method.
> >
> > Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
> > Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
> > More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.
> >
> > Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
> > work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
> > be appreciated.
> >
> > Love
> > Lovely

joker

Microsoft seems to think that it should be disabled on IIS 4 & IIS 5 as
well.

Check out the following article over at http://support.microsoft.com

184717 AspEnableParentPaths MetaBase Property Should Be Set To False

From what it says it sounds like they thing it should be disabled.

Since you didn't post the code that creates this error I can't think of
any workarounds.

If you post the code we can help you better.

Lovely Angel wrote:

> Dear Friends
> Hope you doing great.
>
> I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
> 6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
> problem
>
> Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
> Disallowed Path Characters
> /backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
> The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
> MapPath method.
>
> Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
> Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
> More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.
>
> Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
> work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
> be appreciated.
>
> Love
> Lovely

Jeff Cochran

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:51:40 -0700, Lovely Angel
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dear Friends
>Hope you doing great.
>
>I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
>6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
>problem
>
>Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
>Disallowed Path Characters
>/backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
>The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
>MapPath method.
>
>Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
>Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
>More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.
>
>Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
>work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
>be appreciated.

The service provider *can* change it, the problem is whether they will
or not. The solution is not to use parent paths if they're
disallowed. Either put the database file in a folder that doesn't
require parent paths to reach it, use a physical file path instead of
Server.MapPath, or use a different provider. There are no "work
arounds" only changes to match the server's configuration.

Jeff

Jeff Cochran

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:26:09 -0600, "Carol Carrot"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That is exactly not the answer to either of his questions.
>Why not just answer the questions or step aside?

Now I'm sorry I gave you an answer...

Jeff

>"Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't see any reason for their not being able to enable it as my host
>> upgraded to WS2003 w/IIS6 when it was released and I've had no problems

>with
>> paths so far. Might want to get onto them about the reasons for it being
>> disabled ;o)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Steven Burn
>> Ur I.T. Mate Group
>> www.it-mate.co.uk
>>
>> Keeping it FREE!
>>

>> "Lovely Angel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Dear Friends
>> > Hope you doing great.
>> >
>> > I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
>> > 6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
>> > problem
>> >
>> > Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
>> > Disallowed Path Characters
>> > /backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
>> > The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
>> > MapPath method.
>> >
>> > Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
>> > Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
>> > More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.
>> >
>> > Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
>> > work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
>> > be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Love
>> > Lovely
>> >

>> > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
>> > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Carol, as many have mentioned to you before in your previous responses like
this, there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you
give a solution to the underlying problem. That will often go much further
than just a flat-out answer to a question, and I think you'll find most
people appreciate solutions even if not at first.

Ray at work

"Carol Carrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is exactly not the answer to either of his questions.
> Why not just answer the questions or step aside?
>

> "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't see any reason for their not being able to enable it as my host
>> upgraded to WS2003 w/IIS6 when it was released and I've had no problems

> with
>> paths so far. Might want to get onto them about the reasons for it being
>> disabled ;o)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Steven Burn
>> Ur I.T. Mate Group
>> www.it-mate.co.uk
>>
>> Keeping it FREE!

Carol Carrot

>there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you give a
solution to the underlying problem That will often go much >further than
just a flat-out answer to a question

Not this time, though does it?
Why not just try giving the answer, isnstead of doing the other guy's
thinking?

The guy was thoughtful enough to demonstrate that he knew the underliying
issue.
He even said that he doesn't want to hear about the ISP enabling the parent
paths.

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carol, as many have mentioned to you before in your previous responses

like
> this, there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you
> give a solution to the underlying problem. That will often go much

further
> than just a flat-out answer to a question, and I think you'll find most
> people appreciate solutions even if not at first.
>
> Ray at work
>

> "Carol Carrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That is exactly not the answer to either of his questions.
> > Why not just answer the questions or step aside?
> >

> > "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I don't see any reason for their not being able to enable it as my host
> >> upgraded to WS2003 w/IIS6 when it was released and I've had no problems

> > with
> >> paths so far. Might want to get onto them about the reasons for it

being
> >> disabled ;o)
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Steven Burn
> >> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> >> www.it-mate.co.uk
> >>
> >> Keeping it FREE!

Jeff Cochran

I'm looking, but I can't find that your response has provided an
answer to the OP's underlying question. Or even a suggestion about
possible other avenues. Am I missing something?

Jeff

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:39:49 -0600, "Carol Carrot"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you give a

>solution to the underlying problem That will often go much >further than
>just a flat-out answer to a question
>
>Not this time, though does it?
>Why not just try giving the answer, isnstead of doing the other guy's
>thinking?
>
>The guy was thoughtful enough to demonstrate that he knew the underliying
>issue.
>He even said that he doesn't want to hear about the ISP enabling the parent
>paths.
>

>"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carol, as many have mentioned to you before in your previous responses

>like
>> this, there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you
>> give a solution to the underlying problem. That will often go much

>further
>> than just a flat-out answer to a question, and I think you'll find most
>> people appreciate solutions even if not at first.
>>
>> Ray at work
>>

>> "Carol Carrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > That is exactly not the answer to either of his questions.
>> > Why not just answer the questions or step aside?
>> >

>> > "Steven Burn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > with

>being

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Carol has a habit of doing this. Bitching about how other people are not
solving the problem. Yet she can't be bothered to do any better...

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking, but I can't find that your response has provided an
> answer to the OP's underlying question. Or even a suggestion about
> possible other avenues. Am I missing something?
>
> Jeff
>
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:39:49 -0600, "Carol Carrot"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >>there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you

give a
> >solution to the underlying problem That will often go much >further than
> >just a flat-out answer to a question
> >
> >Not this time, though does it?
> >Why not just try giving the answer, isnstead of doing the other guy's
> >thinking?
> >
> >The guy was thoughtful enough to demonstrate that he knew the underliying
> >issue.
> >He even said that he doesn't want to hear about the ISP enabling the

parent
> >paths.
> >

> >"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
> >message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Carol, as many have mentioned to you before in your previous responses

> >like
> >> this, there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question,

you
> >> give a solution to the underlying problem. That will often go much

> >further
> >> than just a flat-out answer to a question, and I think you'll find most
> >> people appreciate solutions even if not at first.
> >>
> >> Ray at work
> >>

> >> "Carol Carrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

host

problems

> >being

IIs7: "enable parent paths" disabled by default why? J ASP General 1 04-04-2009 10:12 PM
Disabled JSR-82 Workaround rocco Java 0 03-05-2008 01:32 AM
Paths, gentleman, paths Ohad Lutzky Ruby 2 11-07-2006 02:15 AM
Convert between Windows style paths and POSIX style paths Noah Python 5 07-11-2003 09:25 PM

Advertisments