Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

M P

What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access Database
thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread 0xfe4
DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.

(FileName), (LineNumber)

joker

Please read the following. Also stop using a DSN as it has been
Deprecated from the MDAC.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...components.asp

M P wrote:

> What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access Database
> thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4
>

> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
>
> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
> registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread 0xfe4
> DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.
>
> (FileName), (LineNumber)

M P

Can you help me with the syntax? I 've tried changing my connection as what
you've said but I get some errors. Whats wrong with my code?

<%
cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=F:/AccessDB/access.mdb"
set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open cst
%>

"joker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O4WJ5#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please read the following. Also stop using a DSN as it has been
> Deprecated from the MDAC.
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/ado270/htm/
ado_deprecated_components.asp

> M P wrote:
>
> > What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access

Database
> > thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4
> >

> > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
> >
> > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
> > registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread

0xfe4
> > DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.
> >
> > (FileName), (LineNumber)

joker

At this point I'd need the new error since you switched from DSN/ODBC to
OLEDB for you connection. Also have you made sure that the IUSR account
has read, write, & change permission in the folder "F:\AccessDB" folder.

One other thing when you use 'Data Source' your slashes need to be "\"
(back slash) not the "/" (forward slash) that you are using. You only
use a forward slash when using "Server.MapPath" because web servers use
that while Windows uses a back slash.

So most likely the error is because of the slash you are using, but if
that doesn't fix it I'd suggest posting the error.

M P wrote:

> Can you help me with the syntax? I 've tried changing my connection as what
> you've said but I get some errors. Whats wrong with my code?
>
> <%
> cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
> Source=F:/AccessDB/access.mdb"
> set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> conn.open cst
> %>
>
> "joker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O4WJ5#(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Please read the following. Also stop using a DSN as it has been
>>Deprecated from the MDAC.
>>
>>http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126
>>

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/ado270/htm/
> ado_deprecated_components.asp
>
>>M P wrote:
>>

>>>What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access

> Database
>
>>>thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4
>>>

>>>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
>>>
>>>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
>>>registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread

> 0xfe4
>
>>>DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.
>>>
>>>(FileName), (LineNumber)

M P

I tried to put IUSR account to these folder and assign change permission but
still not working and have error like this:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
Could not find file 'C:\AccessDB\access.mdb'.

/conn.asp, line 4

And conn.asp have this line:

<%
cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=C:\AccessDB\access.mdb;"
set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open cst
%>

"joker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> At this point I'd need the new error since you switched from DSN/ODBC to
> OLEDB for you connection. Also have you made sure that the IUSR account
> has read, write, & change permission in the folder "F:\AccessDB" folder.
>
> One other thing when you use 'Data Source' your slashes need to be "\"
> (back slash) not the "/" (forward slash) that you are using. You only
> use a forward slash when using "Server.MapPath" because web servers use
> that while Windows uses a back slash.
>
> So most likely the error is because of the slash you are using, but if
> that doesn't fix it I'd suggest posting the error.
>
> M P wrote:
>
> > Can you help me with the syntax? I 've tried changing my connection as

what
> > you've said but I get some errors. Whats wrong with my code?
> >
> > <%
> > cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
> > Source=F:/AccessDB/access.mdb"
> > set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> > conn.open cst
> > %>
> >
> > "joker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:O4WJ5#(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Please read the following. Also stop using a DSN as it has been
> >>Deprecated from the MDAC.
> >>
> >>http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/ado270/htm/
> > ado_deprecated_components.asp

> > Database

> > 0xfe4

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Maybe you tried, but it sounds as if you did not do it correctly. This is
the error you get when the IUSR account has insufficient permissions (read
and write - aka. Change) for the folder containing the database.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

A P

I'm really sure about that. I have tried copying the same db to different
location and assign permission and still I receive this error. Need help
from the experts!!!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe you tried, but it sounds as if you did not do it correctly. This is
> the error you get when the IUSR account has insufficient permissions (read
> and write - aka. Change) for the folder containing the database.
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009
>
> Bob Barrows
>
> M P wrote:
> > I tried to put IUSR account to these folder and assign change
> > permission but still not working and have error like this:
> >
> > Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
> > Could not find file 'C:\AccessDB\access.mdb'.
> >
> > /conn.asp, line 4
> >
> > And conn.asp have this line:
> >
> > <%
> > cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
> > Source=C:\AccessDB\access.mdb;"
> > set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> > conn.open cst
> > %>
> >

> > "joker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> At this point I'd need the new error since you switched from
> >> DSN/ODBC to OLEDB for you connection. Also have you made sure that
> >> the IUSR account has read, write, & change permission in the folder
> >> "F:\AccessDB" folder.
> >>
> >> One other thing when you use 'Data Source' your slashes need to be
> >> "\" (back slash) not the "/" (forward slash) that you are using.
> >> You only
> >> use a forward slash when using "Server.MapPath" because web servers
> >> use that while Windows uses a back slash.
> >>
> >> So most likely the error is because of the slash you are using, but
> >> if that doesn't fix it I'd suggest posting the error.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/ado270/htm/

> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> "NO SPAM"

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Are you able to log on to the server? If so, please do so, and then open up
a command prompt START---RUN---"CMD"---ENTER

Then enter this command:

dir C:\AccessDB\access.mdb

What is the response?

Then enter this command:

cacls C:\AccessDB

What is the response?

Ray at home

"A P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm really sure about that. I have tried copying the same db to different
> location and assign permission and still I receive this error. Need help
> from the experts!!!
>

> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Maybe you tried, but it sounds as if you did not do it correctly. This

is
> > the error you get when the IUSR account has insufficient permissions

(read
> > and write - aka. Change) for the folder containing the database.
> >
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

A P

here is the response:

C:\>dir accessdb\access.mdb
Volume in drive C is System
Volume Serial Number is EFGH-ABCD

Directory of C:\accessdb

08/25/2004 02:43p 1,941,504 dprdb.mdb
1 File(s) 1,941,504 bytes
0 Dir(s) 3,313,098,752 bytes free

C:\>cacls accessdb
C:\AccessDB TRILUX\IUSR_TELSVR02OI)(CI)C
EveryoneOI)(CI)F

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you able to log on to the server? If so, please do so, and then open

up
> a command prompt START---RUN---"CMD"---ENTER
>
> Then enter this command:
>
> dir C:\AccessDB\access.mdb
>
> What is the response?
>
> Then enter this command:
>
> cacls C:\AccessDB
>
> What is the response?
>
> Ray at home
>

> "A P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm really sure about that. I have tried copying the same db to

different
> > location and assign permission and still I receive this error. Need help
> > from the experts!!!
> >

> > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Maybe you tried, but it sounds as if you did not do it correctly. This

> is
> > > the error you get when the IUSR account has insufficient permissions

> (read
> > > and write - aka. Change) for the folder containing the database.
> > >
> > > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

Bob Barrows [MVP]

A better test would be to log onto the machine as the local IUSR account and
then try to access the folder. From your results, it looks like you've
granted permissions to a domain-level user. Is this machine the same machine
that your web server is running on?

Please go back and re-read the entire FAQ article I linked you to. If the
database is on a different machine from the machine that's running the web
server, then you have a whole different set of issues that are dealt with
here: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168