Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP / Send Mail Question

ASP / Send Mail Question

dthmtlgod

I am having an e-mail being sent from a form submitting on a web page.

Right now, it is just a generic name (not a valid e-mail address) in the
Mail From box. "Web Server Request". How can I add a reply to piece to
this, so when a user clicks on Reply, it sends it to a valid e-mail address.

Thank you

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

What mail component are you using?

Ray at work

"dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am having an e-mail being sent from a form submitting on a web page.
>
> Right now, it is just a generic name (not a valid e-mail address) in the
> Mail From box. "Web Server Request". How can I add a reply to piece to
> this, so when a user clicks on Reply, it sends it to a valid e-mail
> address.
>
> Thank you

dthmtlgod

CDONTS. .

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What mail component are you using?
>
> Ray at work
>
> "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am having an e-mail being sent from a form submitting on a web page.
> >
> > Right now, it is just a generic name (not a valid e-mail address) in the
> > Mail From box. "Web Server Request". How can I add a reply to piece to
> > this, so when a user clicks on Reply, it sends it to a valid e-mail
> > address.
> >
> > Thank you

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Are you on an NT server? If not, you should be using CDO instead of CDONTS.
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026 But, either way, you can set the
..From field as Curt suggested or set the Reply-To address of either mail
object.

CDONTS:

oYourCDONTSMailObject.Value("Reply-To") = "(E-Mail Removed)"

CDO:

oYourCDOMailObject.ReplyTo = "(E-Mail Removed)"

Ray at work

"dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23KEN$(E-Mail Removed)...
> CDONTS. .

> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What mail component are you using?
>>
>> Ray at work
>>
>> "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am having an e-mail being sent from a form submitting on a web page.
>> >
>> > Right now, it is just a generic name (not a valid e-mail address) in
>> > the
>> > Mail From box. "Web Server Request". How can I add a reply to piece
>> > this, so when a user clicks on Reply, it sends it to a valid e-mail
>> > address.
>> >
>> > Thank you

frmrsrs

Thanks

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you on an NT server? If not, you should be using CDO instead of

CDONTS.
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026 But, either way, you can set the
> .From field as Curt suggested or set the Reply-To address of either mail
> object.
>
> CDONTS:
>
> oYourCDONTSMailObject.Value("Reply-To") = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>
> CDO:
>
> oYourCDOMailObject.ReplyTo = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>
> Ray at work
>

> "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23KEN$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > CDONTS. .
> >

> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What mail component are you using?
> >>
> >> Ray at work
> >>
> >> "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

dthmtlgod

Ray, so should this work? The replyto isn't taking. Message does send OK.

<!--
METADATA
TYPE="typelib"
UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
-->
<%
Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

With cdoConfig.Fields
.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "EXCSERV01"
.Update
End With

Set cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

With cdoMessage
Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
.From = "Automation_Server"
.To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.Subject = "Sample CDO Message"
.TextBody = "This is a test for CDO.message"
.Replyto = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.Send
End With

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you on an NT server? If not, you should be using CDO instead of

CDONTS.
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026 But, either way, you can set the
> .From field as Curt suggested or set the Reply-To address of either mail
> object.
>
> CDONTS:
>
> oYourCDONTSMailObject.Value("Reply-To") = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>
> CDO:
>
> oYourCDOMailObject.ReplyTo = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>
> Ray at work
>

> "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23KEN$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > CDONTS. .
> >

> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What mail component are you using?
> >>
> >> Ray at work
> >>
> >> "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Put the valid e-mail address in the .From not the .ReplyTo

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray, so should this work? The replyto isn't taking. Message does send

OK.

> <!--
> METADATA
> TYPE="typelib"
> UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
> NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
> -->
> <%
> Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
>
> With cdoConfig.Fields
> .Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
> .Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "EXCSERV01"
> .Update
> End With
>
> Set cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
>

> With cdoMessage
> Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
> .From = "Automation_Server"
> .To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> .Subject = "Sample CDO Message"
> .TextBody = "This is a test for CDO.message"
> .Replyto = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> .Send
> End With

> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Are you on an NT server? If not, you should be using CDO instead of

> CDONTS.
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026 But, either way, you can set the
> > .From field as Curt suggested or set the Reply-To address of either mail
> > object.
> >
> > CDONTS:
> >
> > oYourCDONTSMailObject.Value("Reply-To") = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> >
> > CDO:
> >
> > oYourCDOMailObject.ReplyTo = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> >
> > Ray at work
> >

> > "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%23KEN$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > CDONTS. .
> > >

> > > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote

in
> > > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

page.

in

piece

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

What "isn't taking" about it? If you receive the message, then your ASP
code should be fine. Are you saying that when you reply to the message, it
is not addressed to your reply-to account? Are both of those e-mail
accounts defined in your Exchange server? What I mean is that where I am, I
have multiple e-mail SMTP e-mail addresses setup for myself on my Exchange
server. So, if I set a reply-to address to be one of my alternate e-mail
accounts, Outlook will still resolve that address to be "Costanzo, Ray" when
I go to reply. To test accurately, I'd have to set a reply-to address of

Ray at work

"dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray, so should this work? The replyto isn't taking. Message does send
> OK.
>
> <!--
> METADATA
> TYPE="typelib"
> UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
> NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
> -->
> <%
> Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
>
> With cdoConfig.Fields
> .Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
> .Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "EXCSERV01"
> .Update
> End With
>
> Set cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
>

> With cdoMessage
> Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
> .From = "Automation_Server"
> .To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> .Subject = "Sample CDO Message"
> .TextBody = "This is a test for CDO.message"
> .Replyto = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> .Send
> End With

> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are you on an NT server? If not, you should be using CDO instead of

> CDONTS.
>> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026 But, either way, you can set the
>> .From field as Curt suggested or set the Reply-To address of either mail
>> object.
>>
>> CDONTS:
>>
>> oYourCDONTSMailObject.Value("Reply-To") = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>>
>> CDO:
>>
>> oYourCDOMailObject.ReplyTo = "(E-Mail Removed)"
>>
>> Ray at work
>>

>> "dthmtlgod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23KEN$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > CDONTS. .
>> >

>> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote in
>> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

That I did not catch.

Yes, in order for the SMTP server to be willing to send your message, at
least as far as MS SMTP, you need a valid .From address. You can do that as
"Automation Server <(E-Mail Removed)>" if you still want the "Automation
Server" to appear as the name.

The .ReplyTo is only necessary if you want the .From not to be the .ReplyTo.
If .ReplyTo is not specified, .From is what will be replied to.

Ray at work

news:(E-Mail Removed)...