Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > What is the trick

What is the trick

Dvan

I have a field in my access DB, that is a hyperlink to an IP address.

When I display that field on my site using ASP, the link doesn't come
across.

This is displayed
162.136.133.36#http://162.136.133.36#

The code to display the field is below
response.write "<TD WIDTH=200>" & vbcrlf
response.write(rs("IP_Address"))
response.write "</TD>" & vbcrlf

Is there a workaround? I have also tried to make the field a text field
with HTTP:// in front of the rs("IP_Address") and that doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Don't use the hyperlink datatype! Just store 'http://162.136.133.36' in a
text(255) column. Your ASP is going to have to build a link anyway:

ip = rs("IP_Address")
response.write("<a href=" & ip & ">" & ip & "</a>")

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Dvan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a field in my access DB, that is a hyperlink to an IP address.
>
> When I display that field on my site using ASP, the link doesn't come
> across.
>
> This is displayed
> 162.136.133.36#http://162.136.133.36#
>
> The code to display the field is below
> response.write "<TD WIDTH=200>" & vbcrlf
> response.write(rs("IP_Address"))
> response.write "</TD>" & vbcrlf
>
> Is there a workaround? I have also tried to make the field a text field
> with HTTP:// in front of the rs("IP_Address") and that doesn't work

either.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Doug

Dvan

Aaron,

One last question, that works fine, when I click on the link, it is putting
my web server address in front of the IP address and the link won't work.

Doug

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't use the hyperlink datatype! Just store 'http://162.136.133.36' in a
> text(255) column. Your ASP is going to have to build a link anyway:
>
> ip = rs("IP_Address")
> response.write("<a href=" & ip & ">" & ip & "</a>")
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "Dvan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a field in my access DB, that is a hyperlink to an IP address.
> >
> > When I display that field on my site using ASP, the link doesn't come
> > across.
> >
> > This is displayed
> > 162.136.133.36#http://162.136.133.36#
> >
> > The code to display the field is below
> > response.write "<TD WIDTH=200>" & vbcrlf
> > response.write(rs("IP_Address"))
> > response.write "</TD>" & vbcrlf
> >
> > Is there a workaround? I have also tried to make the field a text field
> > with HTTP:// in front of the rs("IP_Address") and that doesn't work

> either.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Doug

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Are you putting http:// in yourself? Or are you storing it? From your
initial message, it looked like you were storing "http://x.x.x.x/" not
"x.x.x.x" ... if the latter, well, you need to tell the browser that you
don't mean a folder on your machine called "x.x.x.x" so

response.write("<a href=http://" & ip & ">" & ip & "</a>")

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Dvan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aaron,
>
> One last question, that works fine, when I click on the link, it is

putting
> my web server address in front of the IP address and the link won't work.
>
> Doug
>
> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Don't use the hyperlink datatype! Just store 'http://162.136.133.36' in

> > text(255) column. Your ASP is going to have to build a link anyway:
> >
> > ip = rs("IP_Address")
> > response.write("<a href=" & ip & ">" & ip & "</a>")
> >
> > --
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> > (Reverse address to reply.)
> >

> > "Dvan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a field in my access DB, that is a hyperlink to an IP address.
> > >
> > > When I display that field on my site using ASP, the link doesn't come
> > > across.
> > >
> > > This is displayed
> > > 162.136.133.36#http://162.136.133.36#
> > >
> > > The code to display the field is below
> > > response.write "<TD WIDTH=200>" & vbcrlf
> > > response.write(rs("IP_Address"))
> > > response.write "</TD>" & vbcrlf
> > >
> > > Is there a workaround? I have also tried to make the field a text

field
> > > with HTTP:// in front of the rs("IP_Address") and that doesn't work

> > either.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Doug

James Baker

Did you include the http in the href or is it just href=162.136.133.36? If
you include the http, it shouldn't be a problem.