Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > (OT?) HTML Question

(OT?) HTML Question

James Baker

Is there a microsoft newsgroup where I can post a question such as the
following?

I have a form that has a couple input boxes and a "file" input box as well.
Basically you enter two text values, browse to a file and hit submit. I
need to automate this, because I'm posting this data to another company's
website at regular intervals. I assume I can just convert the text boxes to
hiddens with hardcoded values (they won't change). But I need to convert
the "file" to a control that doesn't require input. It will be posting the
same file every time. Apparently I can't hardcode the value of the file
control, so how in the world do I go about this?

Thanks,
Jim

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

You can't programmatically invoke the input type=file command... this HAS to
be user-driven. You will need to find some way to do this (e.g. use a VBS
script to copy the file from one server to another, maybe via FTP or
\\fileshare\... you won't be able to automate a traditional upload via form
post without running third party tools.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"James Baker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a microsoft newsgroup where I can post a question such as the
> following?
>
> I have a form that has a couple input boxes and a "file" input box as

well.
> Basically you enter two text values, browse to a file and hit submit. I
> need to automate this, because I'm posting this data to another company's
> website at regular intervals. I assume I can just convert the text boxes

> hiddens with hardcoded values (they won't change). But I need to convert
> the "file" to a control that doesn't require input. It will be posting

the
> same file every time. Apparently I can't hardcode the value of the file
> control, so how in the world do I go about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

James Baker

The problem is, I don't even need to use an input type=file control, because
I know the exact path of the file every single time. I've tried just
creating a hidden value with the filename in it, but it doesn't seem to have
the same behavior. Is there more to the input type=file control than just
finding the file and storing it in a text box?

Thanks,
Jim

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uQyYP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can't programmatically invoke the input type=file command... this HAS

> be user-driven. You will need to find some way to do this (e.g. use a VBS
> script to copy the file from one server to another, maybe via FTP or
> \\fileshare\... you won't be able to automate a traditional upload via

form
> post without running third party tools.
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "James Baker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there a microsoft newsgroup where I can post a question such as the
> > following?
> >
> > I have a form that has a couple input boxes and a "file" input box as

> well.
> > Basically you enter two text values, browse to a file and hit submit. I
> > need to automate this, because I'm posting this data to another

company's
> > website at regular intervals. I assume I can just convert the text

boxes
> > hiddens with hardcoded values (they won't change). But I need to

convert
> > the "file" to a control that doesn't require input. It will be posting

> the
> > same file every time. Apparently I can't hardcode the value of the file
> > control, so how in the world do I go about this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> The problem is, I don't even need to use an input type=file control,
because
> I know the exact path of the file every single time.

The problem is, input type=file is the only way for a browser to upload a
file using an ASP page.

> Is there more to the input type=file control than just
> finding the file and storing it in a text box?

Yes!

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)