Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > submit form data to a new window failed using HTTP POST

submit form data to a new window failed using HTTP POST

Matt

The following program submit a FORM DATA to a new window using HTTP POST,
and postprocess.asp couldn't get the form data. If I do in GET method and
pass by
query string in windowURL, then it works. But I need HTTP POST method, are
there
any workarounds?

<script type="text/javascript">
function checkAndSubmitForm(theForm)
{
var windowURL = theForm.action;
window.open(windowURL, "newWin",
"scrollbars=0,menubar=0,toolbar=0,location=0,statu s=0");
}
</script>

<FORM NAME="formname" method="POST" action="postprocess.asp">
<P><input type=text" name="username"/>
<P><input type="button" name="submitBtn" value="Submit Form"
onClick="checkAndSubmitForm(document.formname)">
</FORM>

postprocess.asp is just one line statement to get the form data
<%= Request.Form() %>

any ideas? please help!! thanks!!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Matt wrote:
> The following program submit a FORM DATA to a new window using HTTP
> POST, and postprocess.asp couldn't get the form data. If I do in GET
> method and pass by
> query string in windowURL, then it works. But I need HTTP POST
> method, are there
> any workarounds?

No. Post the data from page A to page B in the same window. Page B processes
the data and uses client-side code in the onload event to open a third page
(C) in a new window, closing the original window if you don't want to have
two windows open.

Some popup stoppers will need to be configured to not interfere in this
process

An alternative would be to use XMLHTTP to post the data to page B,. and when
you get the result, open the new window.

You are not getting a lot of response to this question because:
1. You asked it during the weekend
2. It is off-topic. Only client-side code can be used to open a new window,
and ASP is server-side technology

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET