Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > #INCLUDE FILE= variable

#INCLUDE FILE= variable

Carolyn Speakman

is it in any way possible to include a file specified by a variable name?

Thanks,
Carolyn

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Carolyn Speakman wrote:
> is it in any way possible to include a file specified by a variable
> name?

Not with #include. The only way to dynamically "include" a page is via
Server.Execute(varPageName). You can read about it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...m_seromexe.asp

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Carolyn Speakman

Is there a way to use that to call a page/script stored on a client machine,
that the client can specify?

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

> Carolyn Speakman wrote:
> > is it in any way possible to include a file specified by a variable
> > name?
> >

> Not with #include. The only way to dynamically "include" a page is via
> Server.Execute(varPageName). You can read about it here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...m_seromexe.asp
>
> Bob Barrows
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> "NO SPAM"

Jeff Cochran

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:25:02 -0700, "Carolyn Speakman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>is it in any way possible to include a file specified by a variable name?

FAQ:

How do I dynamically include files?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2042

Jeff

Bob Barrows [MVP]

No. The page has to be served by a web server.

You'll have to upload the file to the server where it can be executed.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Patrice

What exactly is the overall picture ?
Do you want to execute this code server side (some kind of personnalization)
? One for each client ? Is this some client side personnalization ?

Knowing what you are trying to achieve will help to make better
suggestions...

Patrice

--

"Carolyn Speakman" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans
le message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to use that to call a page/script stored on a client

machine,
> that the client can specify?
>
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Carolyn Speakman wrote:
> > > is it in any way possible to include a file specified by a variable
> > > name?
> > >

> > Not with #include. The only way to dynamically "include" a page is via
> > Server.Execute(varPageName). You can read about it here:
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...m_seromexe.asp
> >
> > Bob Barrows
> >
> > --
> > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> > Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
> > don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
> > "NO SPAM"

Carolyn Speakman

The idea is to get a listing of all .exe files in a directory on a client
computer and pass the information back to a server to update a database. The
directory is specified by the user via a form on an Extranet.

It could be possible to have a file (script or something) on the client
machine, which could be invoked via a page on the Extranet, but I still don't
know how that would really work if I can't do a #include or server.execute to
a file other than a file on the server.

Carolyn

"Patrice" wrote:

> What exactly is the overall picture ?
> Do you want to execute this code server side (some kind of personnalization)
> ? One for each client ? Is this some client side personnalization ?
>
> Knowing what you are trying to achieve will help to make better
> suggestions...
>
> Patrice
>
> --
>
> "Carolyn Speakman" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans
> le message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there a way to use that to call a page/script stored on a client

> machine,
> > that the client can specify?

> > > Not with #include. The only way to dynamically "include" a page is via
> > > Server.Execute(varPageName). You can read about it here:
> > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...m_seromexe.asp
> > >
> > > Bob Barrows
> > >
> > > --
> > > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> > > Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
> > > don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
> > > "NO SPAM"

Ray at

ASP is not the right technology for this... Is this on a private network?
If so, I suggest you look into something like SMS or Altiris or something
along those lines. A Web page should have no rights whatsoever to scan a
client's hard drive and take inventory of it... Imagine if that were
default browser behavior for such a thing to be allowed. What happens when
you go to a site that is looking for C:\MyCreditCardNumbers.txt?

Ray at work

"Carolyn Speakman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The idea is to get a listing of all .exe files in a directory on a client
> computer and pass the information back to a server to update a database.
> The
> directory is specified by the user via a form on an Extranet.
>
> It could be possible to have a file (script or something) on the client
> machine, which could be invoked via a page on the Extranet, but I still
> don't
> know how that would really work if I can't do a #include or server.execute
> a file other than a file on the server.
>
> Carolyn
>
> "Patrice" wrote:
>
>> What exactly is the overall picture ?
>> Do you want to execute this code server side (some kind of
>> personnalization)
>> ? One for each client ? Is this some client side personnalization ?
>>
>> Knowing what you are trying to achieve will help to make better
>> suggestions...
>>
>> Patrice
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Carolyn Speakman" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit
>> dans
>> le message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Is there a way to use that to call a page/script stored on a client

>> machine,
>> > that the client can specify?

Patrice

#include and server.execute are intended to execute server side code.

You could use the HTML "script" tag with the src attribute to point to a
local javaScript file.
IMO it would be better to just have an ASP Page that send the appropriate
script to the browser (so that you don't have to deploy anything to target
machines). In your client side JavaScript code you sould be able to create a
Scripting.FileSystemObject to browse a directory for files.

Note that users will have to accept to run this script or that you'll have
to alter a global security policy as this is obviously not allowed by
default...

Patrice