Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > when posting page is there a way to make it post without waiting?

when posting page is there a way to make it post without waiting?

Steven Scaife

I have a search page with upteen boxes that they can choose to fill out and
my second page gets the values and passes them to a stored procedure which
builds the SQL string and returns the recordset.

On this second page i have it so that when a long search is taking place a
layer is shown saying "Search in progress .... Please wait". However since
i changed to a stored procedure it takes a length of time before the page
submits by which time the search is more or less complete. How do i get it
to submit almost immediately so my wait message appears. I have
response.buffer = true at the top of my page, on some pages i have redirects
before processing is complete and all the page settings are in a .inc file
which i place at the top of my page using server.execute Will i need to set
the buffer to false, not entirely sure what this does, except that you need
to set to true to redirect before processing ends to avoid errors.

TIA

Steven Scaife

Basically it works exactly the same as the darkfalz one, but missing
response.flush, now i have added response.flush and its fine again

thanks a lot

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> wait messages are a tricky thing. You are working against the natural
> workings of www.
> That said, how are you doing this?
> Try somethign like this instead perhaps....
> http://www.darkfalz.com/1058
>

> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Steven Scaife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a search page with upteen boxes that they can choose to fill out

and
> > my second page gets the values and passes them to a stored procedure

which
> > builds the SQL string and returns the recordset.
> >
> > On this second page i have it so that when a long search is taking place

> > layer is shown saying "Search in progress .... Please wait". However
> > since
> > i changed to a stored procedure it takes a length of time before the

page
> > submits by which time the search is more or less complete. How do i get
> > it
> > to submit almost immediately so my wait message appears. I have
> > response.buffer = true at the top of my page, on some pages i have
> > redirects
> > before processing is complete and all the page settings are in a .inc

file
> > which i place at the top of my page using server.execute Will i need to
> > set
> > the buffer to false, not entirely sure what this does, except that you
> > need
> > to set to true to redirect before processing ends to avoid errors.
> >
> > TIA

Patrice

I would try also to display the message client side once the submit button
is hit (hide the form, show the message DIV). This way adding this feature
doesn't require anything server side, no flush, no structure, nothing...

Patrice

--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...