Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Some Browsers not redirecting properly

Reply
Thread Tools

Some Browsers not redirecting properly

 
 
Kenneth Keeley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2004
Hi,
I have been having problems with Gecko based browsers not redirecting
properly.

This is the line of code that does the redirecting:
Response.Redirect ("Validation.asp?BookingNo=1234567")

The Gecko based browsers change this URL to read "Validation
BookingNo=1234567" and of course they get a 404 Error as a result. The above
code works on every other browser without fault. So why do Gecko based
browsers have a problem. Is Gecko just nother work for piece of crap
software.

Thanks for any help.
Kenneth


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dlbjr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2004
Try the full URL

Response.Redirect (http://server/directory/Validation.a...kingNo=1234567)


dlbjr
Pleading sagacious indoctrination!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Lehmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
> Is Gecko just nother work for piece of crap software.
No IE has managed to garner that honor with their failure to bring anything
new, and secure, to the table for over 3 years now.

PS - How did you mange to hit "k" instead of "d" on your keyboard?

Bob Lehmann

"Kenneth Keeley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have been having problems with Gecko based browsers not redirecting
> properly.
>
> This is the line of code that does the redirecting:
> Response.Redirect ("Validation.asp?BookingNo=1234567")
>
> The Gecko based browsers change this URL to read "Validation
> BookingNo=1234567" and of course they get a 404 Error as a result. The

above
> code works on every other browser without fault. So why do Gecko based
> browsers have a problem. Is Gecko just nother work for piece of crap
> software.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Kenneth
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kenneth Keeley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
> > Is Gecko just nother work for piece of crap software.
> No IE has managed to garner that honor with their failure to bring

anything
> new, and secure, to the table for over 3 years now.

Of course they havn't. Every time they do try to do anything, some asshole
jumps up and down because Bill though of it first. No body complains when
Ford brings out a new car that has total different parts to any other car on
the road. But hay, somebody rich brings out a new design of his own software
and all he gets is trouble.

> PS - How did you mange to hit "k" instead of "d" on your keyboard?

This was done by mistake.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
dlbjr wrote on 16 aug 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> Try the full URL
>
> Response.Redirect
> (http://server/directory/Validation.a...kingNo=1234567)


Quoting necessary !

Response.Redirect("http://../Validation.asp?BookingNo=1234567")



--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
> No IE has managed to garner that honor with their failure to bring
anything
> new, and secure, to the table for over 3 years now.


XP SP2 makes IE6 pretty secure, in my limited experience so far (I only run
XP at home).

What "new" features are you expecting?

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Anderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote:
>
> What "new" features are you expecting?


For starters:
http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/alternatives.html



--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use
of this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not contact
me directly or ask me to contact you directly for assistance. If your
question is worth asking, it's worth posting.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron [SQL Server MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
> > What "new" features are you expecting?
>
> For starters:
> http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/alternatives.html


OK, so has anyone explicitly asked for this functionality? I wasn't even
aware of it until you pointed it out...

AFAIC, they're not really failing unless they are ignoring or turning down
things that people are actually asking for. I don't think anybody's
complaining that I haven't added forums or a SQL blog to my web site, for
example, or that MySQL hasn't added stored procedure support...

In other words, just because something is out there, doesn't mean it's on
the dev team's radar -- unless you have put it there.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Lehmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
Same as a lot of people...
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2004/07/23/193120.aspx

Bob

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No IE has managed to garner that honor with their failure to bring

> anything
> > new, and secure, to the table for over 3 years now.

>
> XP SP2 makes IE6 pretty secure, in my limited experience so far (I only

run
> XP at home).
>
> What "new" features are you expecting?
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Anderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2004
Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote:
>>> What "new" features are you expecting?

>>
>> For starters:
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/alternatives.html

>
> OK, so has anyone explicitly asked for this functionality?
> I wasn't even aware of it until you pointed it out...


Absolutely. Alternate stylesheets aren't just eye candy. They are useful
accessibility tools, among other things. And it has been in the HTML 4.01
recommendation since 1999, so you would think MS might have bothered trying
to accommodate it.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present....html#h-14.3.1



> AFAIC, they're not really failing unless they are ignoring or
> turning down things that people are actually asking for.


OK, then how about attribute selectors in CSS?
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/select...bute-selectors



> ...just because something is out there, doesn't mean it's on
> the dev team's radar -- unless you have put it there.


I don't really think of W3C recommendations as just things that happen to be
out there. I, for one, can still remember writing for the wildly divergent
NN4/IE4 "standards", and appreciate that I can achieve greater and greater
consistency across browsers and platforms today. Internet Explorer stands
out among browsers for its resistance to meeting W3C recommendations. That's
sad.



--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use
of this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not contact
me directly or ask me to contact you directly for assistance. If your
question is worth asking, it's worth posting.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Browsers, browsers! Quo vadis? El Kabong HTML 23 05-13-2007 08:55 PM
Two Browsers work! Two browsers won't load. Internet game service won't load jimmie Computer Support 1 02-26-2006 08:36 AM
Forms not submitting in some browsers! Help! msnews.microsoft.com ASP .Net 3 05-30-2004 03:37 AM
More American Graffiti: Properly Framed, Properly Scored? Scot Gardner DVD Video 0 09-02-2003 02:28 AM
Redirecting Browsers For Example: John Smith Javascript 7 08-25-2003 03:53 PM



Advertisments