Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > error checking doesn't appear to be working

error checking doesn't appear to be working

Steven Scaife

Below is my ASP page, I have changed the update to read DRIAL which doesn't
exist, shouldnt this throw an error, or if the connection cannot be made
shouldnt it throw an error as well

thanks in advance

<%@language="VBScript"%>
<% option explicit %>
<% response.buffer = True %>

<%
dim telNo, comp, adbTable
telNo = request.form("telNo")

response.write telno & "<BR>"
comp = inStr(1, telNo, " ", 1)

if comp <> 0 then
response.redirect "phone.asp?QS=yes&num=" & telno
end if
%>

<%
Dim conn, RS, strSQL, strConnImpreza, strConnDom_Con,
strConnImprezaTouchStar

'connection details
<% server.execute ("connections.inc") %>
'error checking starts here, if an error is encountered display a msg to the
user and carry on
on error resume next

conn.open strConnImpreza

'this sql statement can be run on both impreza and dom_con tables Amcat'
strSQL = "INSERT INTO MasterDoNotCall(phonenum) VALUES ('" & telNo & "');"
conn.execute strSQL 'run the sql statement

disperror("imprezanocall") 'call the error function

response.write strSQL & "<BR>"
conn.close 'close the connection'

conn.open strConnDom_Con 'open the connection to dom_con'

strSQL = "INSERT INTO MasterDoNotCall(phonenum) VALUES ('" & telNo & "');"
conn.execute strSQL

disperror("DomConNoCall")

response.write strSQL & "<BR>"
conn.close

'for this table we need to run two sql statements, first open the
connection'
conn.open strConnImprezaTouchStar
disperror("connTouchstar")

strSQL = "INSERT INTO Nevercall (PhoneNum, EffectiveDate) " & _
"VALUES ('" & telNo & "', Getdate())"
conn.execute strQSL

disperror("imprezaTouchstarNC")

response.write strSQL & "<BR>"

strSQL = "UPDATE DIAL SET CRC = 'DNC' WHERE PhoneNum = '" & telNo & "';"
conn.execute strSQL

disperror("imprezaTouchstar")

response.write strSQL & "<BR>"

conn.close
set conn = nothing

%>

<head>
<title>Updated Databases</title>
<!--
body { font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; }
//-->
</head>

Detail have been inserted into the corresponding databases

<%
sub dispErr(adbTable)
' if an error is raised then trap it here and end processing
IF err.number <> 0 then
%>

<%
SELECT CASE adbTable
case "imprezanocall" %>
updated</p>
<% case "DomConNoCall" %>
updated</p>
<% case "imprezaTouchstar" %>
updated</p>
<% case "imprezaTouchstarNC" %>
updated</p>
<% case "connTouchstar" %>
<% END SELECT
end if
Err.Clear

end sub
%>

Steven Scaife

"Tarwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steven Scaife" wrote:
> > <%
> > Dim conn, RS, strSQL, strConnImpreza, strConnDom_Con,
> > strConnImprezaTouchStar
> >
> > 'connection details
> > <% server.execute ("connections.inc") %>
> >

> Your first error is in the last line I pasted above. Since you are already
> in an ASP script block you cannot (and do not need to) enter another

script
> block in order to execute the Server.Execute call. If you weren't

receiving
> an error on this line (at te very least) then you mayhave deaper problems,

as
> this line is a syntax error that occurs before your On Error Resume Next
>
> -T

In my page that line isn't there, the strings of my connection are there, i
just put that there to show that some form of connection method is there,
didn't wanna show the different server connection strings, paranoia on my
part

Tarwn

That explains a lot, I was trying to figure out how you would not be getting
an error in that situation

I've looked through the rest of your code and if it is a logic error, I am
not seeing it. My assumption is that the line you rendered inoperable was
the last SQL entry.

An error should be thrown at that point, something to the effect of table
not found. What type of database are you operating on (MS Access, SQL Server,
etc)? Not sure it will matter but it may.

One thing I would try is to cut it down to the minimal amount of code to try
and duplicate the lack of error. Comment out everything except the connection
string, creation of the connection object, the sql string, execution of the
sql string, and a one line "If err.number <> 0 Then Response.Write
err.description"

If you get the error in that case then uncomment the
dispError("imprezaTouchstar") line. Etc. Work your way from the most simple
to the most broad.

-T

Steven Scaife

Just noticed why it wouldn't work, i am calling disperror instead of
disperr. Doh!

thanks for the help

news:(E-Mail Removed)...