Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Display multiple lines

Display multiple lines

JStrauss

Hello,
Can anybody give me some tips on the best and/or easiest way to display
multiple lines in a field. The data is collected from a "textarea" field
when the form is submitted, and I want to display all of the data (multiple
lines) in a resulting HTML page. The data displays on a single line
(obviously) and does not wrap without manipulation of the string variable.
Is there an easier way to display the data?

Thanks,
Joe

dlbjr

Joe,

Here is a sample of html output.

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
..info
{
width: 150px;
}
This is where your text needs to go. Just set the width in the info class of
the style.

-dlbjr

Discerning resolutions for the alms

JStrauss

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the display is still on a single line. I
have included some snippets of the code:

..info
{
width: 300px;
}
..
..
Work Requested / Problem Condition<br>
Services Performed<br>

Does this look correct?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

"dlbjr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joe,
>
> Here is a sample of html output.

> <head>
> <title></title>
> </head>
> .info
> {
> width: 150px;
> }
> This is where your text needs to go. Just set the width in the info class

of
> the style.
>

> -dlbjr
>
> Discerning resolutions for the alms

John

><%= Replace(strWorkReq,vbCrlf,"<br>") %><

"JStrauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the display is still on a single line.

> have included some snippets of the code:

> .info
> {
> width: 300px;
> }
> .
> .
> Work Requested / Problem Condition<br>
> Services Performed<br>
>
> Does this look correct?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Joe
>

> "dlbjr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Joe,
> >
> > Here is a sample of html output.

> > <head>
> > <title></title>
> > </head>
> > .info
> > {
> > width: 150px;
> > }
> > This is where your text needs to go. Just set the width in the info

class
> of
> > the style.
> >

> > -dlbjr
> >
> > Discerning resolutions for the alms

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

http://www.aspfaq.com/2188

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"JStrauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:erE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> Can anybody give me some tips on the best and/or easiest way to display
> multiple lines in a field. The data is collected from a "textarea" field
> when the form is submitted, and I want to display all of the data

(multiple
> lines) in a resulting HTML page. The data displays on a single line
> (obviously) and does not wrap without manipulation of the string variable.
> Is there an easier way to display the data?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

JStrauss

Still no change.

Joe

"John" <n o b o d http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cQsLc.190702$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> ><%= Replace(strWorkReq,vbCrlf,"<br>") %><

> "JStrauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, the display is still on a single

line.
> > have included some snippets of the code:

> > .info
> > {
> > width: 300px;
> > }
> > .
> > .
> > Work Requested / Problem Condition<br>
> > Services Performed<br>
> >
> > Does this look correct?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Joe
> >

> > "dlbjr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Joe,
> > >
> > > Here is a sample of html output.

> > > <head>
> > > <title></title>
> > > </head>
> > > .info
> > > {
> > > width: 150px;
> > > }
> > > This is where your text needs to go. Just set the width in the info

> class
> > of
> > > the style.
> > >

> > > -dlbjr
> > >
> > > Discerning resolutions for the alms

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Did you look at http://www.aspfaq.com/2188 ?

Which, among other things, recommends using chr(10) because your comment
area does not necessarily include correct vbCrLf pairs.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"JStrauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Still no change.

JStrauss

No change from this tip either.

Joe

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.aspfaq.com/2188
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "JStrauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:erE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> > Can anybody give me some tips on the best and/or easiest way to display
> > multiple lines in a field. The data is collected from a "textarea" field
> > when the form is submitted, and I want to display all of the data

> (multiple
> > lines) in a resulting HTML page. The data displays on a single line
> > (obviously) and does not wrap without manipulation of the string

variable.
> > Is there an easier way to display the data?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joe

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Then you're going to have to show us exactly what is going into the
database, so we know what characters are assumed to be carriage returns but
probably aren't.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"JStrauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No change from this tip either.
>
> Joe

Larry Bud

"JStrauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<erE$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hello,
> Can anybody give me some tips on the best and/or easiest way to display
> multiple lines in a field. The data is collected from a "textarea" field
> when the form is submitted, and I want to display all of the data (multiple
> lines) in a resulting HTML page. The data displays on a single line
> (obviously) and does not wrap without manipulation of the string variable.
> Is there an easier way to display the data?

It's not "obviously", because that's not the default behavior of HTML.
HTML always wraps, unless you specify otherwise. Is the data in a
table? If so, you probably have the "nowrap" flag turned on. If it's
not in a table, are you using the preformatted markup tag? Perhaps
you're using a style sheet which turns NOWRAP on for all table cells.