Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > website on a CD

website on a CD

shank

I want to create a dynamic website hosted on a CD.
It would be based on ASP and have a database.
Is this possible? How would I approach such a thing?
I'm sure I could by a runtime version of Access and build an application,
but could that be implemented within the website?
Any thoughts? I don't want the user to install anything on their hardrive if
possible.

thanks!

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

http://www.aspfaq.com/2443

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to create a dynamic website hosted on a CD.
> It would be based on ASP and have a database.
> Is this possible? How would I approach such a thing?
> I'm sure I could by a runtime version of Access and build an application,
> but could that be implemented within the website?
> Any thoughts? I don't want the user to install anything on their hardrive
> if
> possible.
>
> thanks!

Bullschmidt

<<
I want to create a dynamic website hosted on a CD.
It would be based on ASP and have a database.
Is this possible? How would I approach such a thing?
I'm sure I could by a runtime version of Access and build an
application, but could that be implemented within the website?
Any thoughts? I don't want the user to install anything on their
hardrive if possible.

At first I didn't think it would work but then on my development PC for
my own Web site's sample database I turned on the read-only property of
the Access database and the site worked fine reading information but of
course gave an error when I tried to save a record.

But as I mentioned this was on my development PC which already has
Microsoft IIS installed as a local Web server which I imagine would be a
big hurdle for your users.

But of course one thing I like about databases on the Web is that local
installations and/or CD updates, etc. are no longer needed.

In other words you could set things up so that users have to log in.
And instead of giving a user a CD, just give him a username, password,
and a Web address to go to.

And to see a sample database on the Web ( www.bullschmidt.com/login.asp
)

Best regards,
J. Paul Schmidt, Classic ASP Web Designer
http://www.Bullschmidt.com
Classic ASP Design Tips, ASP Web Database Demo, ASP Bar Chart Tool...

Stuart Palmer

I'm doing this myself.
We have created a VB app based on an ASP site which uses a com object and
javascript to display the content from the site.
You can't do it in straight ASP because this requires IIS and another user
may not have this installed, so you have to create thm a virtual server
application (in effect) using a COM object.

If you know VB and Javascript you sould be able to put your site on a CD,
but means you would have to install a dll etc onto the users mchine to view
your CD sites content.

Equally, you can create the site on an asp to html grabber, but this content
won't be dynamic if you use a DB that later you may want to update.

Hope that helps
Stu

"shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to create a dynamic website hosted on a CD.
> It would be based on ASP and have a database.
> Is this possible? How would I approach such a thing?
> I'm sure I could by a runtime version of Access and build an application,
> but could that be implemented within the website?
> Any thoughts? I don't want the user to install anything on their hardrive

if
> possible.
>
> thanks!

BTR

Most products that run sites on a cd emmulate the way a browser works
(usually IE) - you're dB would have to be a flat .txt file and the
code to pull it out would have to be JavaScript. Both are
non-proprietary and would work well enough to get the point across.
Its sounds like an interesting project. You'd have some huge arrays in
JS depending on the amount of content you wanted. But it is possible,
if not difficult.

Hope this helps.

- Bastard

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 07:05:27 GMT, "Stuart Palmer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm doing this myself.
>We have created a VB app based on an ASP site which uses a com object and
>javascript to display the content from the site.
>You can't do it in straight ASP because this requires IIS and another user
>may not have this installed, so you have to create thm a virtual server
>application (in effect) using a COM object.
>
>If you know VB and Javascript you sould be able to put your site on a CD,
>but means you would have to install a dll etc onto the users mchine to view
>your CD sites content.
>
>Equally, you can create the site on an asp to html grabber, but this content
>won't be dynamic if you use a DB that later you may want to update.
>
>Hope that helps
>Stu
>

>"shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I want to create a dynamic website hosted on a CD.
>> It would be based on ASP and have a database.
>> Is this possible? How would I approach such a thing?
>> I'm sure I could by a runtime version of Access and build an application,
>> but could that be implemented within the website?
>> Any thoughts? I don't want the user to install anything on their hardrive

>if
>> possible.
>>
>> thanks!

setting up website inside a website sck10 ASP .Net 1 04-13-2006 09:18 PM
Website on a website. Shawn ASP .Net 3 01-15-2006 04:58 AM
deploying website or copying website? Flip ASP .Net 1 11-22-2005 06:25 PM
how to reinstall website when the name of the website changed. A Leon HTML 4 03-04-2004 07:44 AM
Update website via website? Adrian Wood HTML 13 02-25-2004 11:32 PM

Advertisments