Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How do I use ASP to download a file that has particular ntfs permissions

How do I use ASP to download a file that has particular ntfs permissions

travelling_nerd

Hi,

I'm trying to write a script that will allow validated users to
download a file that has specific ntfs permissions. Here's a summary:

Scenario:
1) The name of the file is "binary.zip".
2) I've created a local account on the server called "dl_user".
3) dl_user is the only account that has permissions on binary.zip.
4) I've written a script that validates several people to access a web
page that has a link to binary.zip. However whenever they click it,
they get prompted for a username and pw. If they enter the "dl_user"
credentials, it works.

Problem:
I don't want these people to be prompted for the username and pw.
Instead, I'd like IIS, through some ASP mechanism, to pass the dl_user
credentials in the background so that the users are completely unaware
of the account that has NTFS permissions to the file. Is there any way
to do this?

Patrice

You could also store the file somewhere else and stream it s content to the
browser using an ASP page...

--

"travelling_nerd" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write a script that will allow validated users to
> download a file that has specific ntfs permissions. Here's a summary:
>
> Scenario:
> 1) The name of the file is "binary.zip".
> 2) I've created a local account on the server called "dl_user".
> 3) dl_user is the only account that has permissions on binary.zip.
> 4) I've written a script that validates several people to access a web
> page that has a link to binary.zip. However whenever they click it,
> they get prompted for a username and pw. If they enter the "dl_user"
> credentials, it works.
>
> Problem:
> I don't want these people to be prompted for the username and pw.
> Instead, I'd like IIS, through some ASP mechanism, to pass the dl_user
> credentials in the background so that the users are completely unaware
> of the account that has NTFS permissions to the file. Is there any way
> to do this?

travelling_nerd

"Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You could also store the file somewhere else and stream it s content to the
> browser using an ASP page...

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I have a redirect to the file,
however, if someone knows the absolute http path to the file, they can
get to it.

Do you have any examples of "streaming files to browser"?

Thanks.

> --
>
> "travelling_nerd" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to write a script that will allow validated users to
> > download a file that has specific ntfs permissions. Here's a summary:
> >
> > Scenario:
> > 1) The name of the file is "binary.zip".
> > 2) I've created a local account on the server called "dl_user".
> > 3) dl_user is the only account that has permissions on binary.zip.
> > 4) I've written a script that validates several people to access a web
> > page that has a link to binary.zip. However whenever they click it,
> > they get prompted for a username and pw. If they enter the "dl_user"
> > credentials, it works.
> >
> > Problem:
> > I don't want these people to be prompted for the username and pw.
> > Instead, I'd like IIS, through some ASP mechanism, to pass the dl_user
> > credentials in the background so that the users are completely unaware
> > of the account that has NTFS permissions to the file. Is there any way
> > to do this?

travelling_nerd

That's a good tip. Thanks.

"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message news:<#4$#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> not 100% sure I got what you are after but this may help
> http://www.darkfalz.com/1109
> Otherwise search the web for "impersonate" as it pertains here.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "travelling_nerd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to write a script that will allow validated users to
> > download a file that has specific ntfs permissions. Here's a summary:
> >
> > Scenario:
> > 1) The name of the file is "binary.zip".
> > 2) I've created a local account on the server called "dl_user".
> > 3) dl_user is the only account that has permissions on binary.zip.
> > 4) I've written a script that validates several people to access a web
> > page that has a link to binary.zip. However whenever they click it,
> > they get prompted for a username and pw. If they enter the "dl_user"
> > credentials, it works.
> >
> > Problem:
> > I don't want these people to be prompted for the username and pw.
> > Instead, I'd like IIS, through some ASP mechanism, to pass the dl_user
> > credentials in the background so that the users are completely unaware
> > of the account that has NTFS permissions to the file. Is there any way
> > to do this?

Patrice

See :
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;276488
(How To Use the ADODB.Stream Object To Send Binary Files to the Browser
through ASP)

This one may also helps :
(shows how to raise the download dialog)

Patrice