Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Anyone ever setup a custom error page? Mine doesn't work if I specify it as a page

Anyone ever setup a custom error page? Mine doesn't work if I specify it as a page

Larry Woods

I have a custom 404 error page. When I change my site properties in IIS
(IIS 5.0, BTW) to point to a file, I still get the original 404 error page.
But, then I copied my error page to my root, then pointed to it via URL and
it works! BUT, I would prefer to use the file page instead of the URL.

Any ideas where I should look for the problem?

TIA,

Larry Woods

(cross-posted to ...inetserver.iis;inetserver.misc)

Larry Woods

Good question. Probably should. It just bugs me that I can't use the file
name.

Larry
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use URL with great success. Just out of curiosity, why dont you want to?
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Larry Woods" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a custom 404 error page. When I change my site properties in IIS
> > (IIS 5.0, BTW) to point to a file, I still get the original 404 error

> page.
> > But, then I copied my error page to my root, then pointed to it via URL

> and
> > it works! BUT, I would prefer to use the file page instead of the URL.
> >
> > Any ideas where I should look for the problem?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Larry Woods
> >
> > (cross-posted to ...inetserver.iis;inetserver.misc)

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> Good question. Probably should. It just bugs me that I can't use the
> file
> name.

? URL asks you to specify a file name (including the virtual path). File
asks you to specify a file name (with the absolute path). I don't
understand what bugs you.

Remember, ASP can't process a file like c:\whatever\404.asp ... it has to be
referenced as a URL, and loaded by the web server, in order to be processed.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> (cross-posted to ...inetserver.iis;inetserver.misc)

No, it wasn't. Maybe you multi-posted?

http://www.aspfaq.com/5003

CJM

AFAIK, relative URLs are valid (e.g. '/404.asp') so I dont think it gets any
easier...

CJM

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Good question. Probably should. It just bugs me that I can't use the
> > file
> > name.

> ? URL asks you to specify a file name (including the virtual path). File
> asks you to specify a file name (with the absolute path). I don't
> understand what bugs you.
>
> Remember, ASP can't process a file like c:\whatever\404.asp ... it has to

be
> referenced as a URL, and loaded by the web server, in order to be

processed.

> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)

Evertjan.

CJM wrote on 08 jul 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Good question. Probably should. It just bugs me that I can't use
>> > the file
>> > name.

>> ? URL asks you to specify a file name (including the virtual path).
>> File asks you to specify a file name (with the absolute path). I
>> don't understand what bugs you.
>>
>> Remember, ASP can't process a file like c:\whatever\404.asp ... it
>> has to be
>> referenced as a URL, and loaded by the web server, in order to be
>> processed.

> AFAIK, relative URLs are valid (e.g. '/404.asp') so I dont think it
> gets any easier...

[why changing to topposting midway in a tread?]

'/404.asp' is a virtual path

'../../404.asp' is a relative path

imho.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> [why changing to topposting midway in a tread?]

Because it's a preference, not a law.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

Evertjan.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 08 jul 2004 in
>> [why changing to topposting midway in a tread?]

> Because it's a preference, not a law.

Well Aaron,

Are you so law abiding that you always follow the law to the last tittel?
Since there are no laws on usenet, should we not try to hold a certain
amount of standards?
Cann't we ask about someones habits without it being a law?

[btw, it was not your mail I referred to. Your positive influence on this
NG far outweighs this welknown idea about topposting of yours.]

I think topposting is a bad habit, but topposting in a thread that does
bottom/interpost is far worse.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> I think topposting is a bad habit,

That's the point I was trying to make... just because YOU think it's a bad
habit doesn't mean its opposite is suddenly some standard we should strive
for. What you're asking is similar to asking everyone to use Outlook
Express or a single-line signature or to set their e-mail address to

http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

Evertjan.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 09 jul 2004 in

>> I think topposting is a bad habit,

> That's the point I was trying to make... just because YOU think it's a
> bad habit doesn't mean its opposite is suddenly some standard we
> should strive for.

The opposite of NOT changing a way of threading in the midst of a thread,
is doing that. It seems to me that is a bad habit.
And is it a bad habit to say so, just because I think it is?
I do not think so. It is the strength of usenet that people say what they
think.

Secondly, I did NOT say so, I just asked why the poster did that. He
could have had very good reasons for doing so: "My Outlook Express leaves
me no choice", for instance.

> What you're asking is similar to asking everyone
> to use Outlook Express

No, that is a personal preference, as long as it does not degrade usenet
use. [I would not touch OE, even for emailing.]

> or a single-line signature or to set their
> e-mail address to (E-Mail Removed).

Again, as long as it does not degrade the NG usabilitiy, no.

==========

Time and again I ask people on this NG not to say ASP when they mean
VBScript, even when they mean serverside VBScript on an ASP platform.

You could just as easily say to me op that subject: "just because YOU
think it's a bad habit doesn't mean its opposite is suddenly some
standard we should strive for."

If I think something is a bad habit, I will certainly encourage people to
do the opposite.

btw, Aaron, thank you for not topposting in your latest reply.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.