Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB

Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB

Dave Anderson

CJM wrote:
> Still no nearer a solution...
>
> ...If I open the DB in Access as Read Only, I can run the web
> app at the same time.
>
> Any further thoughts or ideas?

Have you tried simply linking to it? I inherited an Access-based ASP
application, and whenever I want to mess with the data, I open a local
Access DB and link to the one on the web server (File : Get External Data :
Link Tables). I can make changes through either interface without
interfering with the other.

--
Dave Anderson

[MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Is the access file also under \inetpub\wwwroot ? If so, you may try to move
it out to see if this will help. Furthermore, I suggest you may trace the
file access with a utility "Filemon". It can record all access to the
files. If you can find a "Access denied" error in the log, we can know if
there is any file/directory we need to grant permission for IUSER. Here is
the link for download it:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

Luke

CJM

Yet again for unknown reasons the problem has disappeared!

I had set the connection to read only which should have solved the problem,
but initially it didnt appear to. However, when I came back to it yesterday,
it seemed to work OK.

Incidently, I tried Dave's solution which also worked fine, though it seemed
to be avoiding the problem rather than solving it (nothing wrong with that I
suppose).

AFAIK, I shouldnt need to set the connection mode to read only, but it works
so I'll stick with it.

Thanks to Luke/Bob for your efforts/

Chris

"CJM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB. I

also
> want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the database
> directly.
>
> However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via ASP:
>
> Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
> Could not use ''; file already in use.
>

> Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can peacefully
> coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent access, but I

figure