Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Russian in ASP pages?

Russian in ASP pages?

Steven

Hi all,

I would like to create a site which shows text in English or in Russian
(depending on the user's choice).
Problem is that I can't save the pages in Unicode (Unicode can contain
Russian characters), because IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct,
right?!).

So how can I have normal (ASCII) ASP pages, which can show either text in
English or Russian (charset Windows-1251)???

Thanks!
Greetings, Steven

Evertjan.

Steven wrote on 21 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct, right?!).

ASP is a platform for serverside programming,
and has nothing to do with the rendering of the HTML part of the page as
such.

IIS, which has its own NGs
[microsoft.public.inetserver.iis, please follo up over there],
could be so naive, that it can't handle Unicode,
but I don't think you are correct.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Steven

Evertjan,

Posted reply in MS.Public.Inetserver.IIS...

Greetings, Steven

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> Steven wrote on 21 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> > IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct, right?!).

> ASP is a platform for serverside programming,
> and has nothing to do with the rendering of the HTML part of the page as
> such.
>
> IIS, which has its own NGs
> [microsoft.public.inetserver.iis, please follo up over there],
> could be so naive, that it can't handle Unicode,
> but I don't think you are correct.
>

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Hans

Hi!

A link about saving ASP files in unicode format.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q245000

I run a Unicode (UTF- ASP site and I don't have any text directly in the
ASP pages (pages are built up in COM+ components where texts are fetched
from a database set up to handle unicode). In the top of every page I set
the codepage directive (65001=UTF-

<%@ Language=VBScript CodePage=65001%>

I also add a http header on my pages (set from IIS admin tool). The quotes
("") should not be added.
Custom HeaderName: "Content-Type"
Custom Header Value: "text/html; Charset=utf-8"

Regards
/Hans

George Hester

"IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages..." wrong. It's just slow..................

--
George Hester
__________________________________
"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to create a site which shows text in English or in Russian
> (depending on the user's choice).
> Problem is that I can't save the pages in Unicode (Unicode can contain
> Russian characters), because IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct,
> right?!).
>
> So how can I have normal (ASCII) ASP pages, which can show either text in
> English or Russian (charset Windows-1251)???
>
> Thanks!
> Greetings, Steven

Paul Gorodyansky

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to create a site which shows text in English or in Russian
> (depending on the user's choice).
> Problem is that I can't save the pages in Unicode (Unicode can contain
> Russian characters), because IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct,
> right?!).
>
> So how can I have normal (ASCII) ASP pages, which can show either text in
> English or Russian (charset Windows-1251)???
>
> Thanks!
> Greetings, Steven

You may want to read this page regarding ASP and encodings:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0700/localize/

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky