Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Custom 404 Page and IIS 5.0 Logging

Custom 404 Page and IIS 5.0 Logging

Matt

I notice that when you have the defualt setup of 404 error
pages the IIS 5.0 log tracks the page the user was trying
to get to and the page they where at when they tryed to
get to the now missing page. I recently wrote my own 404
error page to make it match my site but when I set IIS to
use my custom page it no longer traks the page that the
user was trying to get. I was told I needed to add some
code to my page to fix this, but I don't know what code to
add. Can someone tell me? (I am useing ASP on the custom
404 error page)

Ray at

First question - are you returning a 404 response status?

Response.Status = 404

I don't know that that makes the 404s log as 404s in the IIS log, but you
could/should try that first.

Ray at work

news:1d60e01c453d4$99f6ff90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I notice that when you have the defualt setup of 404 error
> pages the IIS 5.0 log tracks the page the user was trying
> to get to and the page they where at when they tryed to
> get to the now missing page. I recently wrote my own 404
> error page to make it match my site but when I set IIS to
> use my custom page it no longer traks the page that the
> user was trying to get. I was told I needed to add some
> code to my page to fix this, but I don't know what code to
> add. Can someone tell me? (I am useing ASP on the custom
> 404 error page)

Matt

Yes, i am returning a 404 response and that gets the log
to log that there was a 404 error and where it came from
but not what page that the user was trying to get to.

message
>news:1d60e01c453d4$99f6ff90$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I notice that when you have the defualt setup of 404

error
>> pages the IIS 5.0 log tracks the page the user was

trying
>> to get to and the page they where at when they tryed to
>> get to the now missing page. I recently wrote my own 404
>> error page to make it match my site but when I set IIS

>> use my custom page it no longer traks the page that the
>> user was trying to get. I was told I needed to add some
>> code to my page to fix this, but I don't know what code

>> add. Can someone tell me? (I am useing ASP on the custom
>> 404 error page)

>.

Jeff Cochran

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:10:30 -0400, "Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]"
<myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote:

>First question - are you returning a 404 response status?
>
>Response.Status = 404
>
>I don't know that that makes the 404s log as 404s in the IIS log, but you
>could/should try that first.

I think the issue is that the default 404 page also logs the requested
page, and his custom page does not.

Jeff

>"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:1d60e01c453d4$99f6ff90$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I notice that when you have the defualt setup of 404 error
>> pages the IIS 5.0 log tracks the page the user was trying
>> to get to and the page they where at when they tryed to
>> get to the now missing page. I recently wrote my own 404
>> error page to make it match my site but when I set IIS to
>> use my custom page it no longer traks the page that the
>> user was trying to get. I was told I needed to add some
>> code to my page to fix this, but I don't know what code to
>> add. Can someone tell me? (I am useing ASP on the custom
>> 404 error page)

How to retrive 404 error page to my custom error page Sujan Javascript 1 03-10-2006 05:08 PM
Anyone Find IIS 404 Errors custom handled by ASPX causes viewstate problem? Jonathan Folland ASP .Net 0 04-01-2005 04:14 PM
Intercept IIS 404 errors? Issue with Viewstate and 404 Jonathan Folland ASP .Net 2 03-17-2005 02:32 AM
Custom 404 page on IIS Joe ASP General 2 09-18-2004 11:42 PM
Custom 404 and logging Paul Woods ASP General 4 10-05-2003 01:58 PM

Advertisments