Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Can a new session be forced???

Can a new session be forced???

yabba

When IE file/new/window is used a new IE window is opened to the same session
as the original.

Is there a way to force a new session?

TIA

Evertjan.

yabba wrote on 15 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> When IE file/new/window

= ctrl-N

> is used a new IE window is opened to the same
> session as the original.
>
> Is there a way to force a new session?

<% Session.Abandon %> in the file ???

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

> <% Session.Abandon %> in the file ???

Followed by a redirect or reload. Session.Abandon doesn't take full effect
until the page goes out of scope.

yabba

How do I do it from the client?

I don't want to use session.abandon since that kills the original session.

TIA

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, software_AT_darkfalz.com
says...

>not from the server (ASP)
>
>--
>Curt Christianson
>Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
>Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
>Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

>"yabba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When IE file/new/window is used a new IE window is opened to the same

>session
>> as the original.
>>
>> Is there a way to force a new session?
>>
>> TIA

Evertjan.

Luis wrote on 16 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:19:54 -0400, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> <% Session.Abandon %> in the file ???

>>Followed by a redirect or reload. Session.Abandon doesn't take full
>>effect until the page goes out of scope.
>>

> So, if I do something like:
>
> Session("xyz") = blah
> Session("123") = tralala
> ... <do other stuff> ...
> Session.Abandon
> Responde.Redirect "SomePage.asp"
>
> Will the two session variables not be cleared?

You better test that yourself.

can we hear your results?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Luis

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns950AD0136EE34eejj99@194.109.133.29>...
> You better test that yourself.
> can we hear your results?

Ok...
The session vars WILL be cleared after the Redirect to the
"SomePage.asp" page.
They WON'T be cleared while still on the same page that the
Session.Abandon command was issued.

Evertjan.

Luis wrote on 17 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> You better test that yourself.
>> can we hear your results?

> Ok...
> The session vars WILL be cleared after the Redirect to the
> "SomePage.asp" page.
> They WON'T be cleared while still on the same page that the
> Session.Abandon command was issued.

Yes, that is according to specs. Sesion.abandon only executes when the page
is left. That means any next page will be a new session.

btw, it is not the sessionvariables that are cleared, but the session ends
when you fech a new page so the variables are not longer ACCESSABLE,
because they belong to another session, that is abandonned, and you are in
a newly started session.

If the old session persists internally till timout does not concern
you[r new page], even if/when session_onend() fires.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.