Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Retrieving table field properties

Retrieving table field properties

hytga

hi can n e 1 tell me if there's a way to get the column properties from a
table?
properties like caption, description etc

thank you

Ray at

What kind of database?

Ray at work

"hytga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wpQxc.53959$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi can n e 1 tell me if there's a way to get the column properties from a
> table?
> properties like caption, description etc
>
> thank you

hytga

> What kind of database?

MS Access

hytga

> look here perhaps for an idea
> http://www.darkfalz.com/1065

well it comes close to what i need. here's what i've been trying to do
but the below code gives error

Error Type:
ADODB.Properties (0x800A0CC1)
Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name
or ordinal.

<!-- connection is already open ud_conn-->

' retrieve fields
set rsMyAcct=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
strSQL="SELECT * FROM [Users] WHERE Usr_ID='" & UCASE(userid) & "'"
rsMyAcct.Open strSQL , ud_Conn

Set rsProp = Server.CreateObject("ADOX.Catalog")
rsProp.ActiveConnection = ud_conn

if not rsMyAcct.eof then
For each Field in rsMyAcct.Fields

THIS IS THE ERROR LINE>>>>>>> response.write
rsProp.Tables("Users").Columns(Field.Name).Propert ies("Description").Value
& "<br>"

next
end if

Set rsProp= nothing
rsMyAcct.Close
Set rsMyAcct = Nothing

-----------------
n e ideas?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

hytga wrote:
> hi can n e 1 tell me if there's a way to get the column properties
> from a table?
> properties like caption, description etc
>
> thank you

You will not be able to get at all of these properties via ADO. Caption and
Description are Access-defined properties. Description is exposed by the Jet
OLEDB provider; Caption is not. You need to keep in mind that Access is not
the database: Jet is the database. Access is a front-end tool for working
with Jet databases. One of the things Access to make it easier for users is
add properties to the database that Jet does not provide. Some of these
properties are exposed by the Jet OLEDB provider, and some are not.

Most of the other column properties can be read using ADOX, which is
installed with ADO. See here for a start:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2244

See here for the Jet database properties that can be read using ADOX:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...etprovspec.asp

HTH,
Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

hytga

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hytga wrote:
> > hi can n e 1 tell me if there's a way to get the column properties
> > from a table?
> > properties like caption, description etc
> >
> > thank you

> You will not be able to get at all of these properties via ADO. Caption

and
> Description are Access-defined properties. Description is exposed by the

Jet
> OLEDB provider; Caption is not. You need to keep in mind that Access is

not
> the database: Jet is the database. Access is a front-end tool for working
> with Jet databases. One of the things Access to make it easier for users

is
> add properties to the database that Jet does not provide. Some of these
> properties are exposed by the Jet OLEDB provider, and some are not.
>
> Most of the other column properties can be read using ADOX, which is
> installed with ADO. See here for a start:
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2244
>
> See here for the Jet database properties that can be read using ADOX:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...etprovspec.asp
>
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows
>
> --