Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Zipcode lookup by proximity...

Zipcode lookup by proximity...

William Morris

Looking for a source for data and/or algorithm that would allow me to enter
a zipcode and find - in our case - every car dealership that sells, say,
Chevy's in that zipcode - if not there, then what about adjacent
zipcodes..? - in an ever expanding circle outward, and return a list of
those zipcodes.

In my database, I've already got the car dealers and available makes. What
I need is the zipcode "map" reference. Ideas, sources?

- Wm

--
William Morris
Product Development, Seritas LLC

Steven Burn

If you've already got the info in the database, then all you need to do is
select from it, based on certain parameters. For example;

strManufacterer = "Ferrari"
strModel = "F50"
strZipCode = "119911"

rst.Open "Select Model From tblCars Where Zip = '" & strZipCode _
& "' and Manufacterer = '" & strManufacterer & "' and model =
'" & _
strModel & "'", DB, adOpenStatic, adLockPessimistic

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for a source for data and/or algorithm that would allow me to

enter
> a zipcode and find - in our case - every car dealership that sells, say,
> Chevy's in that zipcode - if not there, then what about adjacent
> zipcodes..? - in an ever expanding circle outward, and return a list of
> those zipcodes.
>
> In my database, I've already got the car dealers and available makes.

What
> I need is the zipcode "map" reference. Ideas, sources?
>
> - Wm
>
> --
> William Morris
> Product Development, Seritas LLC
> Kansas City, Missouri

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

You will need a zip code -> lat / long database. You can find some free
ones out there, but the quality isn't very good (you get what you pay for).
There is a mathematical formula that will tell you the distance between two
points, given the lat/long of each. So, you take the dealer's zip code,
find the lat and long, then you have a function or procedure that finds all
the zip codes where (formula) < 5 miles.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for a source for data and/or algorithm that would allow me to
> enter
> a zipcode and find - in our case - every car dealership that sells, say,
> Chevy's in that zipcode - if not there, then what about adjacent
> zipcodes..? - in an ever expanding circle outward, and return a list of
> those zipcodes.
>
> In my database, I've already got the car dealers and available makes.
> What
> I need is the zipcode "map" reference. Ideas, sources?
>
> - Wm
>
> --
> William Morris
> Product Development, Seritas LLC
> Kansas City, Missouri

William Morris

Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you, Aaron. I don't suppose you
have any links handy, or the formula?

- Wm

--
William Morris
Product Development, Seritas LLC
Kansas City, Missouri

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You will need a zip code -> lat / long database. You can find some free
> ones out there, but the quality isn't very good (you get what you pay

for).
> There is a mathematical formula that will tell you the distance between

two
> points, given the lat/long of each. So, you take the dealer's zip code,
> find the lat and long, then you have a function or procedure that finds

all
> the zip codes where (formula) < 5 miles.
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Looking for a source for data and/or algorithm that would allow me to
> > enter
> > a zipcode and find - in our case - every car dealership that sells, say,
> > Chevy's in that zipcode - if not there, then what about adjacent
> > zipcodes..? - in an ever expanding circle outward, and return a list of
> > those zipcodes.
> >
> > In my database, I've already got the car dealers and available makes.
> > What
> > I need is the zipcode "map" reference. Ideas, sources?
> >
> > - Wm
> >
> > --
> > William Morris
> > Product Development, Seritas LLC
> > Kansas City, Missouri

James Baker

http://www.mathforum.com/library/drmath/view/51711.html

Pretty simple explanation, looks right.

James

"William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you, Aaron. I don't suppose you
> have any links handy, or the formula?
>
> - Wm
>

> --
> William Morris
> Product Development, Seritas LLC
> Kansas City, Missouri
>
> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You will need a zip code -> lat / long database. You can find some free
> > ones out there, but the quality isn't very good (you get what you pay

> for).
> > There is a mathematical formula that will tell you the distance between

> two
> > points, given the lat/long of each. So, you take the dealer's zip code,
> > find the lat and long, then you have a function or procedure that finds

> all
> > the zip codes where (formula) < 5 miles.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> > (Reverse address to reply.)
> >

> > "William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Looking for a source for data and/or algorithm that would allow me to
> > > enter
> > > a zipcode and find - in our case - every car dealership that sells,

say,
> > > Chevy's in that zipcode - if not there, then what about adjacent
> > > zipcodes..? - in an ever expanding circle outward, and return a list

of
> > > those zipcodes.
> > >
> > > In my database, I've already got the car dealers and available makes.
> > > What
> > > I need is the zipcode "map" reference. Ideas, sources?
> > >
> > > - Wm
> > >
> > > --
> > > William Morris
> > > Product Development, Seritas LLC
> > > Kansas City, Missouri

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

For the database:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...itude+database

For the formula:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...tude+longitude

I'm about to write an article about this, but the solution will use SQL
Server. If you're using SQL Server, and can wait for a bit, you might want
to wait for a bit.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you, Aaron. I don't suppose you
> have any links handy, or the formula?
>
> - Wm
>

> --
> William Morris
> Product Development, Seritas LLC
> Kansas City, Missouri
>
> "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You will need a zip code -> lat / long database. You can find some free
> > ones out there, but the quality isn't very good (you get what you pay

> for).
> > There is a mathematical formula that will tell you the distance between

> two
> > points, given the lat/long of each. So, you take the dealer's zip code,
> > find the lat and long, then you have a function or procedure that finds

> all
> > the zip codes where (formula) < 5 miles.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> > (Reverse address to reply.)
> >

> > "William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Looking for a source for data and/or algorithm that would allow me to
> > > enter
> > > a zipcode and find - in our case - every car dealership that sells,

say,
> > > Chevy's in that zipcode - if not there, then what about adjacent
> > > zipcodes..? - in an ever expanding circle outward, and return a list

of
> > > those zipcodes.
> > >
> > > In my database, I've already got the car dealers and available makes.
> > > What
> > > I need is the zipcode "map" reference. Ideas, sources?
> > >
> > > - Wm
> > >
> > > --
> > > William Morris
> > > Product Development, Seritas LLC
> > > Kansas City, Missouri

William Morris

Actually, we are using SQL Server. The links are great, too. Our list is
small enough at this point that listing every dealer on one page is a
perfectly acceptable solution for the next few months, so, yeah, it can
wait. This'll give me something I can take to the next planning meeting and
hopefully buy myself some time.

- Wm

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For the database:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...itude+database

> For the formula:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...tude+longitude

> I'm about to write an article about this, but the solution will use SQL
> Server. If you're using SQL Server, and can wait for a bit, you might

want
> to wait for a bit.
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you, Aaron. I don't suppose

you
> > have any links handy, or the formula?
> >
> > - Wm
> >

> > --
> > William Morris
> > Product Development, Seritas LLC
> > Kansas City, Missouri
> >
> > "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You will need a zip code -> lat / long database. You can find some

free
> > > ones out there, but the quality isn't very good (you get what you pay

> > for).
> > > There is a mathematical formula that will tell you the distance

between
> > two
> > > points, given the lat/long of each. So, you take the dealer's zip

code,
> > > find the lat and long, then you have a function or procedure that

finds
> > all
> > > the zip codes where (formula) < 5 miles.
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> > > (Reverse address to reply.)
> > >

> > > "William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> say,

> of

makes.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

FYI, "about to" in this specific case means either tonight (time permitting)
or early next week. I had already worked on a similar solution for a
client, and adapting that work slightly will make for a good, workable
example that can be used for similar scenarios.

For future reference, my "about to" has various meanings, given context,
mood, schedule, and level of effort.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"William Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually, we are using SQL Server. The links are great, too. Our list is
> small enough at this point that listing every dealer on one page is a
> perfectly acceptable solution for the next few months, so, yeah, it can
> wait. This'll give me something I can take to the next planning meeting

and
> hopefully buy myself some time.
>
> - Wm

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]