Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > WinZip/Other Alternative?

WinZip/Other Alternative?

James Baker

I'm using ASP and I need to generate a ZIP file that contains a list of
files that I'm pulling from a database. I've determined WinZip's command
line parameters so that I can use it, the problem is I'm unsure how to run
WinZip on the server.

Set WshShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run("c:\winzip.exe")

Assuming this would work, how do I get the process to terminate upon
completion? I can't have 20-30 WinZip applications running on the server, I
need it to handle what I send to it and then close. Maybe I'm taking the
entirely wrong approach here. Any help would be appreciated.

James

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

There are COM objects that can do this. I've used ZBit Inc's product with
good success.
http://www.aspfaq.com/2187

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"James Baker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#l#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using ASP and I need to generate a ZIP file that contains a list of
> files that I'm pulling from a database. I've determined WinZip's command
> line parameters so that I can use it, the problem is I'm unsure how to run
> WinZip on the server.
>
> Set WshShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>
> WshShell.Run("c:\winzip.exe")
>
> Assuming this would work, how do I get the process to terminate upon
> completion? I can't have 20-30 WinZip applications running on the server,

> need it to handle what I send to it and then close. Maybe I'm taking the
> entirely wrong approach here. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> James

Ray at

I've used Winzip server-side before, but I used the command-line add-on for
Winzip.
http://www.winzip.com/downcl.htm

Ray at work

news:%23l%(E-Mail Removed)...